SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-16-2019, 09:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Finally happened to me - Windows 7 update kills Firewire channel change

I’ve read other threads, and have been combing thru solutions (return to Legacy Windows 7 1394 driver, etc.), but haven’t been able to fix the damage yet.

Did a Windows 7 update. 1394 Firewire channel changing died.

Windows NOW recognizes the Cisco 4742HD cable box (cox), but the dreaded yellow triangle in Device Manager says the device isn’t working properly.

I can’t seem to remember how or where the Cisco (previously Scientific Atlanta) drivers come from. A Device Manager search didn’t find them.

Anyone else using 1394 cable box channel change run into this? The FWproxie still seems to be in it’s Sagetv folder. It’s been so long since I set this up - would every, single cable box have its own, unique ID I must input somehow?

UPDATE: all channels coming out the component outs, but for some reason, some aren’t making it through SageTV. Weird. Never seen this before. Likely the result of a recent W7 update clusterf#$&.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-17-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:19 PM
Sage Expert

Is there any reason you haven’t tried the USB-UIRT? It’s not as seamless as the FireWire tuning solution, but it’s been extremely reliable for me. I can’t remember a time where it missed a channel change. I’ve been using the same unit for almost 15 years on my SageTV server (XP, Windows 7, and now Windows 10 64 bit).

I’ve seen you post several times about your troubles with FireWire tuning (no 64 bit support limiting your OS choices), it might be less of a headache to try the USB-UIRT.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
Is there any reason you haven’t tried the USB-UIRT? It’s not as seamless as the FireWire tuning solution, but it’s been extremely reliable for me. I can’t remember a time where it missed a channel change. I’ve been using the same unit for almost 15 years on my SageTV server (XP, Windows 7, and now Windows 10 64 bit).

I’ve seen you post several times about your troubles with FireWire tuning (no 64 bit support limiting your OS choices), it might be less of a headache to try the USB-UIRT.
Don’t laugh - I own one, and can’t for the life of me figure out how to make it work. It’s that simple. I’ve read everything I can find, but for some reason - I don’t get it. That simple.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-16-2019, 10:49 PM
Sage Expert

Where do you get stuck trying to set it up? There are a lot of people using them (at least compared to firewire tuning), we might be able to help you.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Where do you get stuck trying to set it up? There are a lot of people using them (at least compared to firewire tuning), we might be able to help you.
pretty much every part. How to specify the units to be be controlled - how to program in the cable boxes command codes - etc

It would be great to get it working some day, then yes, W10 and loads of RAM

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-17-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:07 AM
Sage Expert

Looking at your post history it looks like you have two sources. One is a cable box and one is a satellite receiver. Is that still accurate? Just the two sources?

You are currently using firewire tuning with the cable box, how are you controlling the satellite receiver? Is the satellite receiver from Shaw Direct?

Last edited by peternm22; 11-17-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Looking at your post history it looks like you have two sources. One is a cable box and one is a satellite receiver. Is that still accurate? Just the two sources?

You are currently using firewire tuning with the cable box, how are you controlling the satellite receiver? Is the satellite receiver from Shaw Direct?
yes, that’s it, as far as IR triggered changes would go. The HD Homerun tuner needs no IR. The satellite box currently takes up the ONE address allowed by Hauppauge tuners. This whole thing would be avoided if Hauppauge allowed their tuners to have independent ID addresses. My satellite company, since they use UHF channel change, allow each of their receivers to have one of 10 different, numerical ID’s.
The 1394, Firewire change is for the Cisco Cable box, as it is still a functioning feature of those units.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:33 PM
Sage Expert

I use Shaw Direct as well. How about we try getting the Shaw Direct receiving using the USB-UIRT first? Then we can work on getting the Cisco cable box working.

I've attached my USB-UIRT configuration files to this message. I use two Shaw Direct receivers, one of them is set to remote address 0 and the other is set to remote address 1. If you are only using a single receiver from Shaw Direct, I'm guessing you're using default remote address 0? I've included both .ir files in the attached zip file just in case.

Extract these two IR files and put them in the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\Common\RemoteCodes\USB-UIRT Transceiver"

Then make sure the USB-UIRT is plugged in and installed (make sure you can see it in Device Manager, it will usually be under "Universal Serial Bus controllers").

You might need to restart SageTV (and maybe the SageTV service) for SageTV to find the USB-UIRT.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like SageTV can change the tuning method of an existing source. You will have to setup your Shaw Direct source again from scratch. During setup you will need to select the USB-UIRT for the tuning control.

When you select the USB-UIRT, you should see a list of all of IR configuration files available. Select one of the ones I sent you. You will most likely need to select "Shaw Direct Address 0 - All Zones" if you are using the default remote address on your Shaw Direct receiver.

Once you finish the source setup, test it out. If it all works fine, then we know your USB-UIRT is properly setup. Then we can work on getting your Cisco Cable box working (which will require a bit more setup, as I don't have any .ir files for it).
Attached Files
File Type: zip shaw direct ir files.zip (845 Bytes, 148 views)
Old 11-17-2019, 12:38 PM
Sage Expert

Just to make things a bit smoothing, after you setup your source:

-go back into "Setup Video Sources"
-select the source you just setup for the USB-UIRT
-select "Tuner Control" at/near the bottom
-"Remote Control Options"
-Make sure your settings match this screenshot:

Attached Images
File Type: png 2019_11_17_10_37_22_Window.png (247.7 KB, 438 views)
Old 11-17-2019, 03:09 PM
SageTVaholic

brilliant - thanks for all this help. I’ll get to it later today if possible. I imagine I need a physical, IR cable for each box, correct?
Old 11-17-2019, 03:49 PM
Sage Expert

Not necessarily. As long as each box doesn't respond to the same IR codes (and they shouldn't, because one is Cisco and one is Shaw/Arris/Motorola), you can just have the main emitter built into the USB-UIRT transmit to all of the receivers. This is how I do it with mine.

The USB-UIRT can support up to 3 different zones, one of the zones is the main IR emitter, and the other 2 zones are available via the mini jack on the USB-UIRT (you would need to use a stereo separator to access each zone).

The .ir files I provided are setup as all zone files, which means they broadcast on all zones simultaneously. If you want to use separate zones, the .ir files would need to be modified (I have modified versions for each zone already, but to keep it simple, I won't upload them yet)

I would suggest just using the main IR emitter on the USB-UIRT to start with to verify it's working, and then if needed, you can use separate IR cables for each box. Lets try to keep things as simple to start with before adding things on.

I found a .ir file for the Cisco 4642 posted elsewhere on the forum, I suspect this file will work for your Cisco box as well. Typically cable/satellite boxes will use the same IR codes between models from the same manufacturer. I can't 100% say this file will work with your Cisco box, that's why I suggest trying the Shaw Direct setup first as I know for certain that those .ir files work.

I've attached the .ir file for the Cisco 4642. You can put this file in the same place as you put the Shaw Direct .ir files.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Explorer4642HDC.zip (466 Bytes, 129 views)
Old 11-17-2019, 06:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Ok, but the emitter would have to be line-of-sight to the front panels of both boxes, yes? That may require some repositioning, as they are separated in a stereo stand. Thanks for finding the Cisco map too

And in so much that Windows updates can kill FireWire setups, can Windows updates also kill USB-UIRT setups?

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-17-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:04 PM
Sage Expert

They would require line of sight, yes. You could have the main USB-UIRT emitter pointed at one box, and then use a single emitter connected to the 3.5mm jack and use that for the other box.

I have both of my receivers stacked on top of one another (but with a few 2 inch rubber blocks to space them out for air flow) to get around the line of sight problem.

I’ve never had a Windows Update kill my USB-UIRT. Not sure why it killed your FireWire tuning driver.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
They would require line of sight, yes. You could have the main USB-UIRT emitter pointed at one box, and then use a single emitter connected to the 3.5mm jack and use that for the other box.

I have both of my receivers stacked on top of one another (but with a few 2 inch rubber blocks to space them out for air flow) to get around the line of sight problem.

I’ve never had a Windows Update kill my USB-UIRT. Not sure why it killed your FireWire tuning driver.
Me neither, but it has. My Device Manager shows the Scientific Atlantic box, but no working drivers can be found. And, other weird things are happening. Maybe time to tear it all down...
Old 11-18-2019, 06:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

If you are still wanting to use Firewire, I suspect you need to set (reset, in your case) the MS supplied firewire driver from the "new enhanced" to the legacy driver. The link below has instructions on how to change the driver.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...7itprohardware

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
If you are still wanting to use Firewire, I suspect you need to set (reset, in your case) the MS supplied firewire driver from the "new enhanced" to the legacy driver. The link below has instructions on how to change the driver.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...7itprohardware
Yup, that was the first thing I did. Apparently there is another step for the specific 1394 device, in this case, Scientific Atlanta.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

OK, if the OS driver is correct then it can only be the capture driver (also known as TimMoore's driver). Someone cobbled together an updated version of Tim's drivers as well (which is probably what you're needing at this point).

It has been a while since I used firewire for anything. Everything you need to know is in the" Firewire" thread but it is huge and takes forever to go through. But you should be able to find reference to both sets of capture drivers.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
OK, if the OS driver is correct then it can only be the capture driver (also known as TimMoore's driver). Someone cobbled together an updated version of Tim's drivers as well (which is probably what you're needing at this point).

It has been a while since I used firewire for anything. Everything you need to know is in the" Firewire" thread but it is huge and takes forever to go through. But you should be able to find reference to both sets of capture drivers.
thanks
Old 11-18-2019, 06:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

ExDeus

https://exdeusweb.github.io/stbfirewire/

Check out this site

Old 12-10-2019, 05:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Just to make things a bit smoothing, after you setup your source:

-go back into "Setup Video Sources"
-select the source you just setup for the USB-UIRT
-select "Tuner Control" at/near the bottom
-"Remote Control Options"
-Make sure your settings match this screenshot:

I'm still a bit confused about the implementation - the USB-UIRT module can't face two directions. When you send commands from a remote, how does the unit get those commands, and then send IR commands to the set top boxes? I have looked on Youtube and haven't found a decent, visual demonstration...