SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

Need Help with Win 7 32x Firewire Channel-Change Only

In the very lengthly thread on Firewire Support ( which is apparently dead now), Brent Posted the following:

<Quote>
Following these instructions I happily re-set up firewire channel changing:

1. Downloaded & installed ExeMultiTuner plugin put it in my <SageTV install path>\Common folder on the server PC
2. Re-installed same drivers I was using with my XP install - the ones found here STB Firewire Drivers for Windows Vista/XP/MCE
and downloaded & installed the firest.msi from here: Timmmoore's site. All files were put in C:/STBFirewire directory
3. I rebooted the PC
4. I ran a command prompt and from the directory where the channel.exe and channelw.exe files are I typed "channel -f -a0 2 60" and like clockwork the channel on the cable box changed. Good so far right???
5. Installed the EXEMultiTunerPlugin directory with the exemultituner.reg file and the exemultitunerplugin.dll file in the common directory.
6. copied the stubdevice.ir into the exemultitunerplugin directory, renamed it to 2.ir (the device number of the panel for me is 2) and changed the 2.ir contents to be "2 38000 400 3" and saved it
7. Registry setting was changed to now say this:
c:\STBFirewire\channelw.exe -f -a0 %DEVICE% %CHANNEL%
8. Started up SageTV (in service mode as always) and added the HD-PVR as a tuner selecting EXEMultiTuner Plugin as the channel changer. Had to go back to select "2" later as it didn't do that for me.

The problem is, it won't change channels in SageTV no matter how many times I go through the instructions. Is there some step I'm missing? Is there something particular to Windows 7 I'm missing?
<end Quote>

I would like to know if Brent's problem was ever resolved becasue I followed the same instructions and have the same problem. I can tune from the command prompt but not from Sage V7 on a new Win 7 installation. Previouslly, I had this working great with Vista, including the Sage V7 beta. I even wrote a stand-alone test program to execute channelw.exe, using the Windows API function "ShellExecute". It reads the correct parameters for my STB (an SA 4240 HDC) and the desired channel no., then changes channels, all with one mouse click. However, I do not know the Sage interface requirements for converting this simple routine into a DLL tuning plugin.

I have several other issues with Win 7: (1) I installed in a C:\SageTV directory to avoid UAC issues; and, now, I can not get the server to start for my server/client computer and (2) I can scan for ~50 clear QAM channels, but can not play most of them. I doubt that either of these last two problems are related to the tuning issue, but thought I should mention it just in case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

I like FWChannelProxy much better than the EXEMultiTuner Plugin. I'd take a look into that, it works fine for me on Win 7.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks, I'll give it a try.