SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:54 AM
Sage Fanatic

Ready to cut over to UNRAID Sage

My UNRAID server is up and running with a Win7 VM that houses my r5000 boxes, which are currently setup as networked tuners for my existing 10 yr old win10 sage server. Ready to make it the production sage server

Now showing my ignorance: I installed the sagetv docker a while back just to get a feel and was able to get to it with placeshifter, so I moved on to other pre-requisite work. Yesterday, I thought I would try to drop in the current sage.properties to see if it would just pick up the tuners since they are all networked (1 HDHR, and 2 r5000s). It of course did not, and I also could not reach it anymore with placeshifter. Having stupidly not backed up the docker sage.prop, I just removed the sage docker and reinstalled from scratch. Still can't reach it with Placeshifter, so I'm back here to ask the grownups how it all works since I'm not finding the same issues in other forum posts.

Should placeshifter see it automatically? It sees the production server just fine

For existing recordings, should I use rsync or BTSync to move them over a few days and keep up with current recordings? Something else?

Once recordings are moved, do I just drop sage.prop and wiz.bin into the appdata server folder?
Old 10-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Sage Icon

Are you saying you copied a sage.properties file from a Windows installation to UnRaid?

That is not likely to work. There are lots and lots of paths stored in the properties files that will be machine- and os-dependent.

Copying wiz.bin is ok, but you should start with a fresh properties file.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 10-04-2017, 11:40 AM
Sage Fanatic

That is precisely what I did. Didn't think it would work, but I figured it wouldn't be that hard to undo.

Any thoughts as to why placeshifter doesn't see a fresh install of the docker?
Old 10-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

If you just delete the docker and reinstall I don't think it clears your changes to the properties files (things in appdata). You probably want to delete the docker and the template, or delete the appdata/sagetv folder after you delete the docker.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:28 AM
Sage Fanatic

Yep, the sage folder doesn't get deleted from appdata when removing the docker. I now recall that is by design having read it somewhere.

Anyway, uninstalled the docker and deleted the folder, then reinstalled docker. I then went back to my win7 VM on the unraid server to install PS v9.1.7. Now it sees both the docker server as well as the current standalone win10 production one, but takes forever on the "connecting" screen and only results in a black screen. If I go to my standalone server and launch Placeshifter from there, it finds the docker server and immediately brings up the config screen, so I know the docker server is up and running.

What would cause the slowness and black screen from the win7 VM?
Old 10-05-2017, 10:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Windows firewall? Other networking peculiarity around VMs?

My unRAID server has been running for a while and I have no issues connecting to it from standalone Windows PCs with PS or from extenders. I have a Win10 VM on the unRAID server so I will try to install PS on that VM and see if I see the same issues that you are having.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrcp2000 View Post
Yep, the sage folder doesn't get deleted from appdata when removing the docker. I now recall that is by design having read it somewhere.

Anyway, uninstalled the docker and deleted the folder, then reinstalled docker. I then went back to my win7 VM on the unraid server to install PS v9.1.7. Now it sees both the docker server as well as the current standalone win10 production one, but takes forever on the "connecting" screen and only results in a black screen. If I go to my standalone server and launch Placeshifter from there, it finds the docker server and immediately brings up the config screen, so I know the docker server is up and running.

What would cause the slowness and black screen from the win7 VM?
There is a known issue on the placeshifter that if you remote desktop to the vm that is running it and then minimize or otherwise move away from that display, then the UI will freeze and the log will be full of directx errors. If you are getting the black screen and have not moved away from the screen then its a different issue.

k
Old 10-05-2017, 01:21 PM
Sage Fanatic

The black screen does occur when I either minimize/maximize, or move the PS window off the screen edge enough, so it sounds related to that known issue. Only difference from your description is that it never connects in the first place. Client seems to work, so I can deal with some things from there, but server tweaks will have to be done from an extender. I guess it doesn't really matter once the initial setup is done (which I did from the other PS instance on the standalone server)

EDIT: now that I think about it, I may have been using a separate laptop on my very first go-round with using placeshifter to connect to it several weeks ago. I think it's safe to say I never actually had PS working from the VM contrary to my memory.

Last edited by btrcp2000; 10-05-2017 at 01:24 PM. Reason: fuzzy memories
Old 10-05-2017, 05:52 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't know if it is relevant to your situation but I was able to run Placeshifter without issues in a Win 10 VM that is on the same box as the unRAID server. But it isn't really useful in most ways as you can't really watch video over RDP.