SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Unraid: Shares problem - Sage in VM

I've got Unraid setup, and SageTV running in a Win 10 VM. How should I setup the Video Recording location? Should I be using a User Share? I must be missing something...

I ask because I get FILESYSTEM ERROR messages in SageTV when I navigate and select a Unraid share as a network location for Sage. Sage won't record anything since it seemingly can't access that share - I get a black screen and the error message. I have been using UNC shares, both in service mode and with the SageTV application open. I'm using an extender.
  • ( \\TOWER\SageTVRecordings\TVRecordings OR \\TOWER\Media\SageTV Recordings)
I have an older ReadNAS NV, and when I use that with a UNC path - all is well and I can record shows. My plan is to retire this though, and to use Unraid as I expect it should be possible.

Notes:
  • I'm on the Unraid demo and plan to buy if I can lick this. I don't expect this has limitations.
  • Right now, I have a very simple drive scheme. 1 cache, 1 storage. I plan to add parity and drives after I transfer all my Sage recordings to Unraid (thanks for that tip Fuzzy).
  • Off topic- but I can't access NTFS drives with the Unassociated Drives plugin. On my Mac, finder crashes trying to access the shares. On Windows, I just keep getting login prompts that don't accept users I've setup. I plan to take that topic to the Unraid forums.

Last edited by Tomahawk51; 10-27-2016 at 10:39 AM. Reason: resolved
Old 10-25-2016, 08:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

When I moved to the unRAID Docker, I switched from using UNC paths for recording directories to a local path: /var/media/tv

/var/media is mapped to /mnt/user/sagetv/ in the Docker settings.

Recent changes to the Comskip Playback plugin removed the dependency on UNC paths.
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 10-25-2016, 09:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, as alfi states, just leave things as default in the unraid docker, and you should be good to go. It'll create a share for you and point sage to that location (in sage it will show as /var/media, and I think the current docker points that folder to a 'real' folder on the unraid server of /mnt/user/sagemedia, and \\tower\sagemedia from other systems. Import folder is set as /var/mediaext in sage, which maps to /mnt/user/media/videos in unraid, and \\tower\media\videos from other systems.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-26-2016, 12:41 AM
SageTVaholic

I wouldn't use sage in the windows VM and instead go to the docker (unless firewire channel changing is the reason). I did this and am very happy with the results.

I have 5 recording drives in a share called "recorded_tv". I point the recording path to the drive in unraid as opposed to the share so sage can write directly to the drive and plex and other things just need to access the share to see all the recordings.

I used sage in a windows vm for quite a while before the sagetv docker was released and I didn't have much trouble. The main thing I did was instead of using unassigned devices to map the shares to SMB (which is slow because the NTFS driver in unraid is slow) I just passed the drives directly through to the VM since they were existing recording drives that still had recordings on them. That way they are outside of the unraid array.

I would still consider moving to the docker if I were you. My windows VM only serves up my colossus cards as network tuners for the sagetv docker.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Oh yeah, I didn't notice the 'in a Win 10 VM' part. That's incredibly wasteful and overly complicated, and you should use the sagetv docker on unraid instead.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Oh yeah, I didn't notice the 'in a Win 10 VM' part. That's incredibly wasteful and overly complicated, and you should use the sagetv docker on unraid instead.
That sounds great, and is my goal. So - how do I get HD PVR IR blasting working in Docker?

I can get video through the HD PVR, but can't seem to get IR setup. I just reinstalled Docker, setup Generic Tuner. If I use "IR Blaster" it asks for what Port to use (don't expect those to work).

Until I get Docker IR Blasting working, I'll need to limp along with that VM.

Do you happen to have experience with how to get Sage to record to shares in Unraid?

Last edited by Tomahawk51; 10-26-2016 at 08:06 AM. Reason: updated question
Old 10-26-2016, 07:59 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't know about the hauppauge blaster - I use a USB-UIRT with my HD-PVR (took some manual configuration to get working, but I'm hoping to package up some guides/help for it).

It's possible the hauppauge blaster would work, but it'd be done through LIRC (Linux's 'standard' IR interface), which would be triggered by the GenTuner sage plugin (which is packaged with the sagetv docker).

Also I believe there are only really good linux drivers for the HD-PVR 1212, so hopefully that's the one you've got.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:00 AM
SageTVaholic

regarding getting the shares up and accessible from windows, first step, can you browse them and read and write files in them from explorer? If so, sage SHOULD access them, as long as the service is logged in as the user, not the default LocalSystem.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 10-26-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I don't know about the hauppauge blaster - I use a USB-UIRT with my HD-PVR (took some manual configuration to get working, but I'm hoping to package up some guides/help for it).

It's possible the hauppauge blaster would work, but it'd be done through LIRC (Linux's 'standard' IR interface), which would be triggered by the GenTuner sage plugin (which is packaged with the sagetv docker).

Also I believe there are only really good linux drivers for the HD-PVR 1212, so hopefully that's the one you've got.
That would be great. Maybe looking at a guide could help inform the HD PVR blasting. I do have a 1212. But, I'd easily buy the UIRT alternatively if getting that to work was made clear.

Quote:
regarding getting the shares up and accessible from windows, first step, can you browse them and read and write files in them from explorer? If so, sage SHOULD access them, as long as the service is logged in as the user, not the default LocalSystem.
I can indeed interact with a User share just fine in explorer. When Sage tries, it throws an error message:
There was a Capture Error in Playback. Details:
ERROR (-3x8007003a): There was a problem accessing
the filesystem for capture
I thought people were running Unraid VMs. Maybe a different approach?
Old 10-26-2016, 10:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk51 View Post
That would be great. Maybe looking at a guide could help inform the HD PVR blasting. I do have a 1212. But, I'd easily buy the UIRT alternatively if getting that to work was made clear.

I can indeed interact with a User share just fine in explorer. When Sage tries, it throws an error message:
There was a Capture Error in Playback. Details:
ERROR (-3x8007003a): There was a problem accessing
the filesystem for capture
I thought people were running Unraid VMs. Maybe a different approach?
That is most likely a permissions error. Me being a linux newb I used the dolphin docker to change the permissions of my recording drives so sage could access them. That solved my problems.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
That is most likely a permissions error. Me being a linux newb I used the dolphin docker to change the permissions of my recording drives so sage could access them. That solved my problems.
I'm at pre-newb linux levels, so this sounded like a promising quick step.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I know what to do in Dolphin.
  • I went to NETWORK > SAMBA SHARES > WORKGROUP > MEDIA (or TVRecordings)
  • On MEDIA, I right clicked > PROPERTIES > PERMISSIONS
  • I changed OWNER, GROUP, OTHERS to "CAN VIEW & MODIFY CONTENT"
  • And...
  • I get the message: "Changing the attributes of files is not supported with protocol smb."
  • If I go to ROOT > USR > MEDIA > (any folder) then the permissions are already "CAN VIEW & MODIFY CONTENT"

So, should I be looking for my SMB USER SHARES or something different?

My Thoughts: I'm using a Win10 VM where I'm seeing these errors. I'll in see if I can get a Linux VM going as a sidebar. Maybe NFS is better with Sage than SMB for Unraid? I know I'm really close to having a functional, if not idealized, SageTV setup on Unraid. I don't care about ideals yet, and have plenty of server resource to be as wasteful as is needed for functionality - for now! If I can just hold out for Docker IR Blasting ...

Last edited by Tomahawk51; 10-27-2016 at 08:32 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 10-27-2016, 09:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk51 View Post
My Thoughts: I'm using a Win10 VM where I'm seeing these errors. I'll in see if I can get a Linux VM going as a sidebar. Maybe NFS is better with Sage than SMB for Unraid?
My sense is that if you are going to use a LinuxVM, then why not just use the SageTV docker container? (The Docker container also resets the file permissions on restart as well).

I can't really hep much with this, since I don't use Windows very often, but I tend to get very frustrated in Windows when I'm trying to browse the network shares

Back to Fuzzy's comment... when you browse the network shares for your media, are you doing so, inside your VM? And if so, are you able to create new files in the recording directory? And, is your SageTV running as a different user than your logged in user? It seems to me that IF you can browse and create files from the Windows VM interactively, but you can't do it within SageTV, then you are dealing with a Window 10 user/permission issue and nothing to do with unRAID/Linux.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Something else worth thinking about even though the error message doesn't suggest it is making sure this isn't a codec issue. If I recall on Windows 10, you are not provided with any codecs for video playback and many users have installed LAV Filters to address this.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 10-27-2016, 10:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
My sense is that if you are going to use a LinuxVM, then why not just use the SageTV docker container? (The Docker container also resets the file permissions on restart as well).
YES - I WANT TO DO THIS!! But, I can't (figure out how to) control my HD PVR 1212 via IR. IR being HP PVR or UIRT (as CommandIR isn't sold anymore).

Fuzzy said he's working to drop some knowledge around how he got his UIRT working, and I'll be first in line to consume that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
And, is your SageTV running as a different user than your logged in user? It seems to me that IF you can browse and create files from the Windows VM interactively, but you can't do it within SageTV, then you are dealing with a Window 10 user/permission issue and nothing to do with unRAID/Linux.
Thanks - I just got it working. I created a new share to ensure freshness in Unraid, and indeed I did need to make sure that the SageTV service was using the specific user account vs. the default "local user." So, now it's working! I feel dumb for missing that, but relieved - and send gratitude.

Last edited by Tomahawk51; 10-27-2016 at 10:40 AM. Reason: format