SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:51 AM
Sage Expert

Samba Shares Problem

I have a couple of Ubuntu Trusty (14.04) systems with Samba shares that don't require password authentication and can connect to the shares with Linux and Android systems, but cannot with Windows or Sage Media Extenders (HD-100s or HD-300s).

I can browse the shares, but attempts to play any of the content produces a " ... file no longer on disk ... " message when connected via the "Browse Media Files" menu option in Client or Placeshifter. The files are seen and can play on the media extenders if they are accessed via the "File Manager" menu in the startup screen.

Anyone have any ideas why these permissions are recognized differently by these two methods?
Old 09-09-2015, 10:17 AM
Sage User

I ran into the same problem, but I am running SageTV on Windows, so I don't know if this applies to Linux.

In my case, when I run SageTV as a service on Windows, I am getting the same "file no longer on disk" message for any shows stored on a NAS4Free file server, which are shared via Samba (SMB).

If I turn off the service (using SageTVServiceControl.exe) and then run the SageTV app on my main Windows SageTV machine, I can access the files on the SMB server.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmilar View Post
I ran into the same problem, but I am running SageTV on Windows, so I don't know if this applies to Linux.

In my case, when I run SageTV as a service on Windows, I am getting the same "file no longer on disk" message for any shows stored on a NAS4Free file server, which are shared via Samba (SMB).

If I turn off the service (using SageTVServiceControl.exe) and then run the SageTV app on my main Windows SageTV machine, I can access the files on the SMB server.
For your windows install, at least, what user is the service running as? If it is running as LocalService, it does not have access to network shares. You can change it to a full user in SageTVServiceControl.exe

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
For your windows install, at least, what user is the service running as? If it is running as LocalService, it does not have access to network shares. You can change it to a full user in SageTVServiceControl.exe
That fixes the problem (for Windows, at least). Thanks!
Old 09-09-2015, 10:10 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmilar View Post
... If I turn off the service (using SageTVServiceControl.exe) and then run the SageTV app on my main Windows SageTV machine, I can access the files on the SMB server.
Can you play the files on the Linux placeshifter? My problem is that the server is Linux-based, so I cannot run the Windows executable ...
Old 09-30-2015, 08:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sorry I can't remember why I set my Samba shares the way I did. It was long ago when I found that this works for me.

In my smb.conf:
Code:
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
netbios name = MEDIA
dns proxy = no
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
syslog = 0
security = user
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072
hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/24, 127.
hosts deny = ALL
map to guest = bad user
usershare allow guests = yes
[media]
        comment = Media
        path = /raid
        create mask = 0777
        force create mode = 0777
        directory security mask = 0777
        force directory security mode = 0777
        browsable = yes
        guest ok = yes
        read only = no
"/raid" is owned by root with perms of 777. I have several other shares created as well but this gives the model. Everything under /raid is owned by nobody:nogroup, all with 777 perms. To start out, I might start at the root of your shares and
Code:
chmod -R 777 *
For added effect you may need to change ownership of the files under your share with a
Code:
chown -R nobody:nogroup *