SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:35 AM
Sage Icon

Status v9

Lots of threads but not a single place to go to understand the current status of v9.

Can someone summarize the current state?

1. Stability
2. Install process
3. Platform/OS support
4. New features
5. Unsupported features
6. Bug fixes from v9
7. Projected timelines

Having difficulty understanding if this is worth venturing into or if it is still too early ... and if so what to expect ...

Thanks in advance.

Still running v7 and happy - would love to see a v9.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:58 AM
SageTVaholic

One thing to keep in mind is that the status of V9 is more advanced on Linux than Windows - I am running a secondary server with V9 and my primary is still on V7 - both are on Windows, the V9 server is on W10. So that being said...

Stability on V9 seems to be at least as good. The Linux version now use 64 bit Java so I would assume that this makes V9 more stable than V7 if you have a lot of extenders and can experience crashes due to JVM issues (which happens to me).

The Install process on Windows is pretty straightforward - I can't comment on Linux.

V9 works fine on W10 in my experience.

I can't help on the other questions.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:59 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you have any comments on the feature set?
What about v9 motivated you to upgrade?
Old 08-28-2016, 08:26 AM
SageTVaholic

The feature set is pretty much the same, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between V7 and V9. Apparently there are some back end improvements but nothing that I have really noticed.

What motivated me to upgrade was that I was building a new server and I wanted to future-proof it as much as possible. So on the new server I installed V9. For me the biggest benefit of V9 will be when the Windows version is upgraded to use 64 bit Java as the biggest issue that I have is running out of JVM room as I have about 9 extenders. They never get all used at once but once 3-4 are used the system really starts to bog down. Hopefully that goes away in the future. Or I may have to consider switching to Linux.

The other advantage is that with V9 you can set up and run as many PC clients as you want as there is no licensing to worry about.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
The other advantage is that with V9 you can set up and run as many PC clients as you want as there is no licensing to worry about.
This was my reason for switching. For some years, I ran v7 with one PC as a server and one PC as a client. When I had to re-install v7 due to Windows being Windows, there were some licensing issues I couldn't work out, so I went to v9.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:25 AM
SageTVaholic

There is a FAQ in the SageTV Open Source forum that discusses it - but there really isn't much to say. Product/feature wise, it is not really significantly different than v7. There are performance tweaks, and easier installation on linux, and of course the removal of licensing. It certainly isn't less stable than v7 in any of my experience, and is quiet a bit quicker on database work. Probably the most significant differences are still 'coming soon' (like building in support for Schedules Direct).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room