SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Alrighty... I'll try those first. Thanks.
Server: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Intel i5, 8 GB, Samsung EVO 850 500 GB for OS, WD Black 4 TB + WD Black 1 TB for Recordings, 36TB Synology 1019+ for DVD/Bluray Rips, Music, Home Movies, etc., SageTV Server 64 Bit Ver 9.2.6.976, HDPVR x 2, Bell TV 6131 Receiver x 2, USB-UIRT with 56 KHz Receiver

Clients: PC Client x 2, HD-300 x 2 (1 Using Netgear MoCA Coax Bridges), SageTV Miniclient on NVidia Shield x 3
Old 10-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well I ended up getting rid of the sage properties file and wiz.bin to get it working again.

Got my replacement HDPVR going and gradually all of the plugins back in and setup. And then got all of settings set back on my extenders. Took off and on about 2 weeks (I have an active 2 year old....). Then got all of my favourites set back up. During that whole time, every test favorite I setup worked great. About 2 days after I had all of my favorites back in, I noticed one of my shows didn't record. Checked the interleaved schedule, and again there were no future favorite recordings scheduled even tho all of the favorites are there and they all show future airings! Argh!

I could create a manual recording of one of my favourite shows and have it show up in the recording schedule and record successfully, but any future recording that should show up from the favourites refused to show up in the recording schedule.

I deleted all of my favorites and recreated a couple and those are currently showing up in the interleaved schedule and are recording successfully.

Can't figure out where this problem is coming from. I can't believe it's a bug around the number of favorites I have. I only have 12, I'm sure others have way more. Is it some issue that has something to do with the guide data? Some bug somewhere in SageTV? I can't see it being a bug in some plugin causing this considering the 4 or 5 plugins I am using...

I'm at a loss for a likely cause.... I'm going to slowly re-add favorites and watch for when it comes off the rails again....
Server: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Intel i5, 8 GB, Samsung EVO 850 500 GB for OS, WD Black 4 TB + WD Black 1 TB for Recordings, 36TB Synology 1019+ for DVD/Bluray Rips, Music, Home Movies, etc., SageTV Server 64 Bit Ver 9.2.6.976, HDPVR x 2, Bell TV 6131 Receiver x 2, USB-UIRT with 56 KHz Receiver

Clients: PC Client x 2, HD-300 x 2 (1 Using Netgear MoCA Coax Bridges), SageTV Miniclient on NVidia Shield x 3
Old 10-12-2013, 06:03 PM
SageTVaholic

are you running the SageTV service? I seem to remember shutting it down and restarting it, and THEN my favorites popped back into place again, but only after a new properties and wizbin were inserted. It's a very frustrating problem. Even after all I did, I could never get HBO's The Newsroom to schedule....
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 10-14-2013, 08:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
I only have 12, I'm sure others have way more. Is it some issue that has something to do with the guide data? Some bug somewhere in SageTV? I can't see it being a bug in some plugin causing this considering the 4 or 5 plugins I am using...
It is not a numerical limit problem. I have close to 300 favorites on one server with no problems. So you are correct that it must be somewhere else. I would guess that your other speculations are nearer the cause but don't have a solution for you just posting my favorite number to confirm your statement.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
it's also strange that very few people are commenting, which makes me think very few have had this problem.
At some point, it would be good to know, after you made an image of your current, working system, what would happen if you then tried to update the system to current.
Sorry, I haven't been on the forum much in the last couple weeks. One thing that pops into my mind when in the first message you say it all was fine and then suddenly the next day it all stopped working.
There have been instances in the past where a bad recording will stop one or more favorites from working. I didn't see any mention in your troubleshooting efforts to segregate the last day or so's worth of recordings.

I would take a peek and see if you can figure out what recorded that last night it was all working. Shut down SageTv/Service and move those files somewhere outside the SageTv recording directories, then reboot.
If everything starts working again you will know it is one of those files and you can go about trying to figure out which one(s) it is.

I just helped someone a few months ago with a problem with a single favorite and a bum recording was the problem. Once he found and removed the file his favorite started working again.
I don't think it affecting ALL your favorites is likely, but I guess it is possible if it messed up the DB enough. The reason I could help him is that same type of thing happened to me in the past.(I'm still using my Wiz.bin that has been in use since day one of SageTv 3 or 4?)

Another shot in the dark that would probably not affect all your favorites, but do you have them set to specific channels, or just all channels. If your EPG data changed the name of the channel (say from WVIT to WVITHD) then any favorite specifying the old named channel would never find any matching recordings since the channel doesn't "exist" any more.
I have gotten bitten by that one a few times when I had limited the channels for various reasons and Comcrap went and renamed the channels on me.

It is definitely not the # of favorites. I have over 300.

Last edited by waynedunham; 10-15-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm having the same problem. All of a sudden, the Schedule is completely empty, and I can't think of anything that changed to cause this. Will try some of the ideas described here, but it really doesn't look like anyone is confident that they found the actual cause.

Shaun
Old 12-10-2013, 07:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdl View Post
I'm having the same problem. All of a sudden, the Schedule is completely empty, and I can't think of anything that changed to cause this. Will try some of the ideas described here, but it really doesn't look like anyone is confident that they found the actual cause.

Shaun
I had that happen several Times for example when I recently added a Keyword "Christmas" in movies ...... there were so many that Sage did not show any recordings at all... as soon as I removed the favorite all my scheduled recordings came back... Check and see if you recently added a favorite? There appears to be a limit of scheduled recordings In Sage what that is I do not know.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Arggghh this just happened to me. I have a brand new installation of sage on win 8.1 all going well until i changed the xmltv source for the tuners and i now have no scheduled recordings and get the error -10 no encoders to tune selected station. I cant see any corrupted files and no updated have been done.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdisco View Post
Arggghh this just happened to me. I have a brand new installation of sage on win 8.1 all going well until i changed the xmltv source for the tuners and i now have no scheduled recordings and get the error -10 no encoders to tune selected station. I cant see any corrupted files and no updated have been done.
Java update could contribute as well, by default is set to automatically update. What I would do is to make sure you don't have Java installed when you install SageTV so that SageTV will install the version of Java it has been certified for, then disable Java automatic updates altogether.

Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 12-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Definately not java either as set that not to update and its still on ver 6 from the the sage installer.
I'm going round in circles now when i replace the wiz bin with an older one i get favourites recording but as soon as i add the tuners back in with the xmltv data it gives me the tuner error and no scheduled recordings.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdisco View Post
I'm going round in circles now when i replace the wiz bin with an older one i get favourites recording but as soon as i add the tuners back in with the xmltv data it gives me the tuner error and no scheduled recordings.
Did you replace the Sage.properties from your old installation or created a new one from scratch? It has been a long time ago, but I seem to remember that with the TBS I had to perform a "fake" channel scan for each tuner before configuring everything properly...I have to dig out, but I posted while ago a guide here for successfully install the TBS quad tuner...

EDIT:

James, please read from here and double check what you've done:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...284#post539284

Cheers
Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by routerunner; 12-11-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Same thing is happening to me today. No recording scheduled, was fine yesterday. Live TV plays for about 1minute 30 seconds and then stops. It's almost like licensing expired or something.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61287

Last edited by NoodleNT; 02-27-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

So here is my personal experience with this annoying problem and how I get around it.

Bottom line - one of the shows in your Favorites is causing it - why I don't know - and it can be a different show each time this happens.

A few months ago, this would happen every time I tried to add "The Tomorrow People" to my favorites. If that favorite was added, all of the scheduled recordings for all favorites would be gone, and I would have problems just manually recording other shows while Sage was in this state... Shows would only record a few minutes and stop. Sometimes I'd see the conflict icon on the main menu as well, even though drilling into the conflict menu would show no issue.

I'd go back in, delete the "The Tomorrow People" favorite, and poof! All of the recordings in the interleaved schedule show up again and manual recordings work fine.

The funny part was that if I went in and set an episode of "The Tomorrow People" to manually record - no problem. Just couldn't make it a favorite.

Now today, I just happened to notice first the first time in months that all of my recording schedule vanished again. Through trial and error, I found this time the problem show favorite is "Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.". As soon as I remove that favorite, the recording schedule for all favorites is populated again. Now I had just been in the scheduled interleaved recording list yesterday, and it was showing the the episode "T.A.H.I.T.I" of "Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." was going to be recording soon, so whatever has set the problem off this time has happened in the last 24 hrs.

The other funny part is that just for laughs, I tried adding "The Tomorrow People" today as a Favorite and now it works fine though "Agents of SHIELD" used to work, and now it doesn't.

I don't know if this is occurring after a guide update or not. My next guide update is in 4 hrs so I will try putting "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." back in after that. I can tell you it is not the Sage install issue and it is not the Sage TV properties file, and it is not your Java install causing this. When I first started troubleshooting this after my favorites vanished, I uninstalled and reinstalled Java, and uninstalled SageTV and reinstalled it - plus a directory wipe, and did numerous .properties recreations and numerous reboots. None of that made any difference at the time - every time I added "The Tomorrow People", away went the scheduled recordings.

The only thing I have noticed in common with these shows is that they are both shows that I initially missed the premiere of, so the first times they were on my Sage system was as a download through EZTV and imported as Sage TV recordings automatically by BMT. I have not seen this issue with other shows that were first created on my Sage install using Sage and the HD-PVRs... Also, I don't know if any of the plugins I have are playing into this problem or not.

Here's what I do to track down the problem favorite:

1) Take a picture of the list of favorites with my phone so I don't forget what I had and in what order
2) Start at the bottom, remove a favorite
3) After a 4 or 5 secs, go back into the scheduled recording list, and see if it is still blank.
4) If still blank, repeat steps 2 and 3 until it is not. If the scheduled recording list is no longer blank, you have found the problem favorite.
5) Recreate your list of deleted favorites other than the problem one.

In the meantime, record the problem show with a manual recording. Try adding that favorite back in a few days - maybe after some guide updates have occurred.

YMMV, but that's how I get around the problem. It's a bug somewhere, I just have no clue where... Hope this helps. I know it drove me crazy, and that's a short drive these days.

-Steve

Last edited by SteveW; 02-28-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Broken again this AM

My wife added back some missing favorites last night and now nothing scheduled again. I will try your trick SteveW. Very frustrating bug to come out of nowhere.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Didn't work... Deleting wiz again
Old 03-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah deleted Wiz.bin at one point as well way back it first happened. Problem eventually came back. My only solution was to do what I mentioned above. ... Best of luck to you. It's annoying as hell. ...

Old 03-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have attached my log file in case anyone sees anything. This might be the end of my SageTV if it doesn't resolve itself soon.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (188.8 KB, 127 views)
Old 03-01-2014, 09:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleNT View Post
I have attached my log file in case anyone sees anything. This might be the end of my SageTV if it doesn't resolve itself soon.
Before I give up I would uninstall SageTV uninstall Java. Delete the leftover SageTV directory.... Reinstall Java. Reinstall Sage Setup everything from scratch including tuners etc...
Old 03-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Before I do that, is there any benefit to moving to a Win8 or Win7 64 bit platform if I have to start over?

I use the FireWire tuning option with my cable boxes. I thought I read some place they don't have drivers that work with 64bit.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleNT View Post
Before I do that, is there any benefit to moving to a Win8 or Win7 64 bit platform if I have to start over?

I use the FireWire tuning option with my cable boxes. I thought I read some place they don't have drivers that work with 64bit.
no drivers n 64 bit.