SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-21-2013, 02:47 AM
Sage User

No Favorites Are Recorded or Scheduled

Yesterday's favorites recording all fine, all of a sudden last night favorites did not.
So I checked the Upcoming Recordings and none appeared.
Have no clue on what is going on since nothing happened at all to the server.

So I set out to restore some backups of the property and wiz files. The moment I start Sage the upcoming recordings appear in the list, but 10 minutes later they all disappear. They are still in the Favorites, but they are all disregarded for recording.
Manually setting the recording of a show makes the (!) conflict icon show on the guide entry (not on the top bar) but no recording happens, and even removing that show from the Favorite list still does not solver the (!) nor makes it record.

I was also unable to watch the normal QAM channels via SilicondDust via Sage (all fine in QuickTV, the tuners all work fine), then I went into the Sources Setup and doing a preview somehow "unblocked" the encoders and I could then watch the channels, but still no recordings. The error that I got was: -10 No encoders can tune the selected station.

So I set out to spend a few hours deleting all sources and their entries from the sage.properties and starting from scratch, that all worked fine until I rebooted then all went back to square one: Favorites are there, No Recordings Scheduled appearing and No playback of live TV unless I go to the sources.

So basically a weird and bizarre situation altogether.

Anybody found something similar and how to solve it? I am at a complete loss here.

Last edited by valerio; 04-21-2013 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Added error code
Old 04-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Sage User

Windows Update Caused It

As a follow up, I spent all Sunday troubleshooting this problem and at the end I had to restore a disk image from a few months back.

After restoring the OS I replace the SageTV folder with the current one from the other day and guess what? Now all works fine.

I have Windows NOT to check for updates since I elect to do them manually, and that is what I did last Friday, so one of the Windows Updates from last week definitely caused this weird problem.

GUYS be aware, is all I can say.
On my end, I am just not going to update this PC any longer.

PS: I sent a note to tech support about this, just in case.

Last edited by valerio; 04-22-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerio View Post
As a follow up, I spent all Sunday troubleshooting this problem and at the end I had to restore a disk image from a few months back.

After restoring the OS I replace the SageTV folder with the current one from the other day and guess what? Now all works fine.

I have Windows NOT to check for updates since I elect to do them manually, and that is what I did last Friday, so one of the Windows Updates from last week definitely caused this weird problem.

GUYS be aware, is all I can say.
On my end, I am just not going to update this PC any longer.

PS: I sent a note to tech support about this, just in case.
What OS is your server my server is on Windows 8 and is up to date and I always Install the updates when I can. I have windows to download the updates... and not Install.... when I go to Install on my server I always make sure Sage Server is stopped.

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-22-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Sage User

I have Windows 7 32-bit.

The only items I installed last Friday were the QuickTime Player (which I doubt would interfere with the schedule) and the Windows Updates.

Funny thing even rolling back the Windows Updates via System Restore did nothing to solve the problem.

I believe I tracked it down to something to do with the HD-PVR schedule, as removing such tuner from Sage seemed to bring back the scheduled recordings, but after so many different trials I honestly don't know. The only thing that solved it was to restore from a disk image from last July.

Theoretically I could now apply the updates one by one and see, but after spending all that time, I really don't want to.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:21 PM
SageTVaholic

I hear you the main reason why I have to keep my computers up to date is because I support several users ... that have no experience.... so I use myself as a guinea pig before advising them to update.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I have Windows 7 32-bit.

The only items I installed last Friday were the QuickTime Player (which I doubt would interfere with the schedule) and the Windows Updates.

Funny thing even rolling back the Windows Updates via System Restore did nothing to solve the problem.

I believe I tracked it down to something to do with the HD-PVR schedule, as removing such tuner from Sage seemed to bring back the scheduled recordings, but after so many different trials I honestly don't know. The only thing that solved it was to restore from a disk image from last July.

Theoretically I could now apply the updates one by one and see, but after spending all that time, I really don't want to.
this just started happening to me....I shut down the service, sage and powered down the server. powered up, started service, went into TV guide and selected a channel on the HDPVR. all was fine. then I selected a channel on my Colossus card - error 10, no encoders!
So I went into main menu/set up sources, and previewed a channel on the Colossus tuner, and it showed up. Weird. Exited....and then all my faves and recording schedules were back again. I'd like to say it was an update, but since your problem was in April, and mine's in July, I'm thinking something else.
Have you changed any hardware, DVD drives, ram, video card drivers?
This is an irritating mystery, as it's happened a couple of times now in the last week. Most of my problems seem centered around my Colossus card and its receiver.
hmmmm
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 07-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Sage User

At the time I did not change anything software or hardware besides applying the Windows updates and installing QT Player.

Back then I restored a disk image of the OS and a backup of the wiz.bin and property files, and turned off Windows Updates (don't use that PC for anything else so no real need for updates). So far (knocking on wood) all has worked fine.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
At the time I did not change anything software or hardware besides applying the Windows updates and installing QT Player.

Back then I restored a disk image of the OS and a backup of the wiz.bin and property files, and turned off Windows Updates (don't use that PC for anything else so no real need for updates). So far (knocking on wood) all has worked fine.
hmmm...don't know if I have a backup of my property or wizbin file, but I do have an image of the entire system drive. So you think a corrupted Windows file was the culprit?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 07-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Sage User

That is what I found out.

Not sure if it was a corruption per-se (since it basically recorded it all and the system was perfectly stable) or maybe a specific update based on my hardware, but restoring it back in time and stopping the updates solved the issue (for now).
Old 07-16-2013, 01:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That is what I found out.

Not sure if it was a corruption per-se (since it basically recorded it all and the system was perfectly stable) or maybe a specific update based on my hardware, but restoring it back in time and stopping the updates solved the issue (for now).
that's a little scary, since so many people say they've upgraded even to W8 and had no problems. This sounds like a gremlin that's tied to a third variable of some kind....

what gets effected with my systems are my favorites...

Last edited by tvmaster2; 07-16-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Sage User

I know, that was the weird part. It took me hours and hours trying to uninstall and install the encoders since it made no sense to me.

At the end I just tried the full reinstall and it worked. But I am still puzzled.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:37 PM
SageTVaholic

it's also strange that very few people are commenting, which makes me think very few have had this problem.
At some point, it would be good to know, after you made an image of your current, working system, what would happen if you then tried to update the system to current.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Sage User

Possibly, just so concerned about touching it.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:49 PM
SageTVaholic

that's the bad part about Narflex, etc not being around to troubleshoot and fix these things anymore....ah, the glory days of Sage....
Old 07-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Sage User

Indeed.

I have been pondering my next move since that fatal issue in April, and I think for now I am hanging on Sage TV longer but there will be a time when I may just move off to Dish's Hopper. It seems to be the one offering the most storage.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Sage Icon

I have the same problem. I haven't updated my system but I did install mysql, plex and xbmc. I did also install phoenix 2. updated advast.

You can review my other post incase someone post something useful. http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60394
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:53 PM
SageTVaholic

I've had it in the past but I don't know what fixed it. I usually would just delete the lineups and set them up again from scratch then recreate the favorites from scratch again. And a few other changes that I probably don't remember. Basically I just tried things until it was fixed.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:35 PM
SageTVaholic

ok, in my case, it could have been a hardware error on my part that could have corrupted a file. I had plugged my receivers optical output into my Colossus's cards OUTPUT, as opposed to the input (was installing a new DVD drive).
That's when everything went bad.
Did the "repair" from Sage installation .exe, backed up recordings to XML with Web Interface, replaced both the Wiz.bin and Properties with ones from two months ago, deleted and then re-input the Colossus tuner, and finally re-imported the XML recordings and favorites.
Knocking on wood....so far so good.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Just had the same thing happen to me and just found this thread. Only things that got changed was that a I replaced one of two HD-PVRs that had died and added some new favorites. I do recall doing some MS patches a few days before that....

No problems initially. A couple days after I added the favorites and changed the HD-PVR out, I noticed the odd favorite wasn't recorded... And then wthin a couple days it said there were no shows to be recorded - ever. If I go to live TV, it will play that show for exactly 5 minutes and then close it and go back to the menu as if I had stopped the show...

Will remove the HDPVRs with HWCLEAR and try again, and then will remove wiz.bin and properties if that doesn't work. If I have to rebuild the server that is going to suck - it also runs my weather station, web servers, etc...
Server: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Intel i5, 8 GB, Samsung EVO 850 500 GB for OS, WD Black 4 TB + WD Black 1 TB for Recordings, 36TB Synology 1019+ for DVD/Bluray Rips, Music, Home Movies, etc., SageTV Server 64 Bit Ver 9.2.6.976, HDPVR x 2, Bell TV 6131 Receiver x 2, USB-UIRT with 56 KHz Receiver

Clients: PC Client x 2, HD-300 x 2 (1 Using Netgear MoCA Coax Bridges), SageTV Miniclient on NVidia Shield x 3
Old 09-20-2013, 10:54 PM
SageTVaholic

it drove me nuts, and i don't believe there's a right answer to fix it - everyone's tried different things. Corrupted wiz.bin / properties files seem the most likely problem. at least that's what it appeared to be in my case...