SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

Samsung LCD TV and Onkyo Problems

Hi all.

I used to have my Onkyo TX-SR307 connected to my Samsung LE32B650 LCD TV, and it worked fine.

The stand broke on the TV a couple of weeks ago, so its now on the wall in the bedroom.

My dad bought a new LED TV so I've inherited his old LE37A557 Samsung LCD TV. Thanks Dad

The TV works fine with an HD100 or HD200 connected directly to it, but as soon as I try to go through the Onkyo AV amp the screen gives a green check-like pattern and you can just about see the Sage screen underneath. If you turn the TV off and on a few times it will sometimes clear, but then if you power it all off and back on again it comes back. Once there, it stays even if you switch to digital terrestrial TV, until you power the TV off.

Does anyone have a clue what could be causing it, or how to find a way to get round the problem? I've changed the HDMI leads, no luck, but if I go back to the other TV it all works again. I've looked for newer firmware for the TV but to no avail.

Help!!!! (please)
Old 01-26-2012, 04:24 PM
SageTVaholic

You might be in trouble. That sounds like a handshake issue with the receiver and the TV. The odd thing is that receiver doesn't process anything from the HDMI signal, but it has to be doing something or this issue wouldn't happen. Some onkyo receivers have had this issue in the past, but I don't think it is the receiver. The TV and receiver were made around the same time. Try turning off any CEC options on the TV to see if that helps.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

I tried that, disabled the CEC stuff and the next time I switched it all on it was a pinky check pattern.

I'd tried in HDMI1 and HDMI2 on the TV. I then tried HDMI3 and it seems to be working fine. I'll found out for sure over the next few days.

HDMI3 is on the side of the TV and not the back, so it might be processed differently, maybe! If it keeps working I'll have to find a right angled HDMI lead.

Thanks for the quick reply
Old 01-27-2012, 05:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

It's possible it's the input board in the TV that's going out. Might want to test some other HDMI devices thru the receiver and see what happens (DVD, Blu-Ray, PC, etc...).

Have you tried new cables?

Any of the HDMI ports feel loose or wobbly?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:26 AM
Sage Fanatic

Everything looks and feels fine, and yes I tried different cables.

The only HDMI devices I have are the HD100, HD200 and HD300.

They all work fine connected to the HDMI1 and HDMI2 ports, its just the receiver that doesn't like it.

Once the screen gets the coloured checked pattern, it stays once you switch off of that HDMI input onto something else, like the inbuilt tuner.

My dad had a set top box and a dvd player connected via these ports before it was moved in the back of the car..... I might have to borrow one of these to test.

The receiver is still working fine this morning on HDMI3. There was an audio sync issue that I didn't have with the other TV, but I've sorted that by changing the audio delay on the receiver.

The TV I'm using now is about a year older than the one I had before, but it's bigger and was free . I'd rather have his new 46" LED TV but I guess beggars can't be choosers!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Sometimes the AUX (side) inputs on TV's can be set up differently. I have a panasonic as my monitor in my office and I can't use any inputs but the AUX for the input because that particular model won't turn on with a pc input in the back inputs. Makes no sense, but I'm not the only one with the issue. Very strange. Hope it works out for you.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Got to love Onkyo. I actually don't use the HDMI ports in my receiver, since I had issues with my HD200 displaying a black picture when I turned it on. Only happened when it went through the receiver.

My fix was to pick up an external HDMI switch on Newegg and be done with it. I run a toslink from the HD200 (and other devices) to the receiver for audio and all is well.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Sage Fanatic

Yeh thats strange, and here's me thinking that all HDMI things should just work!

The HD300 wouldn't work through the receiver at 1080p whereas the HD100 and HD200 would, but the HD300 is so much faster.

When the Google STV HD400 comes out I'll get enough to replace everything
Old 01-27-2012, 03:03 PM
SageTVaholic

I guess I should be glad I have a client instead of an extender. I just works.