SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Sage Icon

Linux install problem, wrong architecture 'i386'

I have Ubuntu Desktop 10.10 x64 installed. I tried installing the "Server for Linux (V7.0 Debian package installer)". I got an error "Wrong architecture 'i386' " when trying to run the installation file. What is the installation process for Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop 64-bit?

Dave
Old 03-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
you'll need to install the 32bit library " sudo apt-get install ia32-libs " that will will put you in the right direction.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Sage Expert

For solution please read this

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51900

This was already reported to Sage, but apparently it is not high on priority list.

TV: Samsung UN46D8000
Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 03-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
thats way too much work.

1. install the 32-libs
2. download 32 java libs from java.com to /opt/java (or where ever you put it)
3. download sage server tar file and not the debian file and install it
4. create a file called "sagesetting" in the sagetv/server directory
5.add
Code:
PATH=/opt/java/bin:$PATH
in the sagesetting file

that's all I had to do to get it working, its really not that hard.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofreak75 View Post
thats way too much work.

1. install the 32-libs
5.add
Code:
in the sagesetting file

The Linux SageTV install sounds much more complex than the Windows SageTV install. I don't work with Linux much. I will need to figure out exactly how to install the Linux Java 32-bit software and the process ot install the SageTV server tar file.

I have already tested Clonezilla with Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop 64-bit and the recovery seems to work. I want to have a quick recovery path if I have any problems with the Linux SageTV install in the future.

Dave
Old 03-13-2011, 06:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Or you could always install Ubuntu 32 bit and the install would go as designed.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
thats way too much work.

1. install the 32-libs
5.add
Code:
in the sagesetting file

It looks like 32-libs is already installed.

When I tried to install 32-libs, I got the following messages:

Sagetv@sagetv:~$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
[sudo] password for sagetv:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
1a32-Libs is aleady the newest version
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
Linux-header-2.6.35-22-generic Linux-headers-2.6.35-22
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.

I need to know how to install the sagetv server tar file after I download it.

I was hoping that the 64-bit version would work, so I tried that first. I would rather not be limited with the 32-bit version if possible. I could also try installing the 32-bit Ubuntu version and installing SageTV on that.

I can switch between the operating system versions in about 15 minutes with Clonezilla imaging.

Dave
Old 03-13-2011, 08:10 AM
SageTVaholic

The 32bit works fine on 64bit. Use the tar file and extract to /opt/sagetv/server. (You can place it wherever you would like too, but that's the default.)

B
Old 03-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
The Linux SageTV install sounds much more complex than the Windows SageTV install. I don't work with Linux much. I will need to figure out exactly how to install the Linux Java 32-bit software and the process ot install the SageTV server tar file.
A few things:

- According to the authors, Sage for Linux isn't meant for end users, it's meant for system integrators. The expectation is that they have experience with sort of custom Linux installs.

- For people comfortable with Linux, the Sage install is about as complex as other software that doesn't come from a distro. Hey, at least you're not required to 'make configure; make; make install'

Seriously, if you don't work with Linux much, I suggest you pick a 32-bit Debian or Ubuntu. Life will be easier.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbyrd View Post
A few things:

- According to the authors, Sage for Linux isn't meant for end users, it's meant for system integrators. The expectation is that they have experience with sort of custom Linux installs.

- For people comfortable with Linux, the Sage install is about as complex as other software that doesn't come from a distro. Hey, at least you're not required to 'make configure; make; make install'

Seriously, if you don't work with Linux much, I suggest you pick a 32-bit Debian or Ubuntu. Life will be easier.
That's news to me. I've been reading posts for years on the forum, and I've never heard that one before. I assumed that Linux was just another operating systems supported by SageTV. In general, when posts occur where people want to hire SageTV contractors, people do not want to answer those posts. I don't know if any SageTV contractors or integrators exist. If the Linux version was only meant for system integrators, I would expect that would be clearly displayed in at least the SageTV web store where the Linux version is sold.

With that being said, Linux is not for the light at heart. I assumed from the start that it would not be easy to get the SageTV Linux version going. After I do get the SageTV Linux version deployed, I assume that it will be more dependable than the Windows version. It is just a pain to get the Linux version deployed due to the added complexity of Linux and the lack of step by step deployment instructions. Perhaps the step by step instructions exist, perhaps they do not, but I haven't found them yet. If the installation instructions have not been created, perhaps they should be and at the same or increased level of detail found in the Windows version installation instructions.

I installed Ubuntu Desktop version 10.10 32-bit to take another run at installing SageTV for Linux. I can easily recover the system with the free Clonezilla imaging software in about 10 - 15 minutes. It's far faster to switch between the 32-bit and 64-bit Linux versions with images than installing the operating system from scratch.

There's no SageTV downtime for me since SageTV is still up and running on Windows XP with another computer system. Thanks for the suggestions for my SageTV Linux build.

Dave
Old 03-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
thats way too much work.
Maybe I misread. The post I pointed to referred to how to install the placeshifter.

TV: Samsung UN46D8000
Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 03-14-2011, 06:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That's news to me. I've been reading posts for years on the forum, and I've never heard that one before. I assumed that Linux was just another operating systems supported by SageTV.
Dave
It's in the FAQ

Quote:
Q: Can I buy the Linux version of SageTV? It says it is an "OEM version", so does that mean only system manufacturers can buy it?

A: Anyone can purchase the Linux version; it is not just for manufacturers.

It is called an OEM version since it is designed as an installation for system manufacturers and does not come with end-user technical support. However, being 'OEM' does not mean that end-users are not allowed to purchase it. End users can buy individual licenses to use SageTV Linux on systems that they build for themselves, but support is limited to the online forum. Paid support is available by contacting SageTV at oem@sagetv.com.
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Dave,

Your PM box is full. I can't reply.

B
Old 03-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Sage Icon

I cleaned up my PM box. There's a lot of space now.

I installed the Ubuntu Desktop 10.10 32-bit Linux. Then I took an image. Then I upgraded the Ubuntu Linux with 288 patches, over 300 megs. Then I took another image. Then I tried to install the debian Linux install. The installation scrollbar went to about 98 percent in a few seconds. Then the installation appeared to 'hang'. No disk activity. After a few minutes, still no disk activity, no progress. I'll let it go another 30 minutes to see what happens.

Dave
Old 03-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
That's news to me. I've been reading posts for years on the forum, and I've never heard that one before. I assumed that Linux was just another operating systems supported by SageTV. In general, when posts occur where people want to hire SageTV contractors, people do not want to answer those posts. I don't know if any SageTV contractors or integrators exist. If the Linux version was only meant for system integrators, I would expect that would be clearly displayed in at least the SageTV web store where the Linux version is sold.

With that being said, Linux is not for the light at heart. I assumed from the start that it would not be easy to get the SageTV Linux version going. After I do get the SageTV Linux version deployed, I assume that it will be more dependable than the Windows version. It is just a pain to get the Linux version deployed due to the added complexity of Linux and the lack of step by step deployment instructions. Perhaps the step by step instructions exist, perhaps they do not, but I haven't found them yet. If the installation instructions have not been created, perhaps they should be and at the same or increased level of detail found in the Windows version installation instructions.

I installed Ubuntu Desktop version 10.10 32-bit to take another run at installing SageTV for Linux. I can easily recover the system with the free Clonezilla imaging software in about 10 - 15 minutes. It's far faster to switch between the 32-bit and 64-bit Linux versions with images than installing the operating system from scratch.

There's no SageTV downtime for me since SageTV is still up and running on Windows XP with another computer system. Thanks for the suggestions for my SageTV Linux build.

Dave

Ok, it wasn't clear from your post that you expected it to "not be easy". This is a common problem with Linux and 3rd party (as in not maintained by the distro and the community) software. If you don't have a well thought out package targeted for the exact distro and version you want that is also maintained as that version gets updates, you can run into problems.

Since you already dove into the pool with us, let's see if we can sort this out. How are you installing? Are you using a terminal and running apt-get? dpkg-deb? aptitude or something else? Are you using a GUI package manager program? What would be helpful would be to check out the logs in /var/log/dpkg.log

I haven't debugged deb installs in a while so it may be that you have to abort this one, go back to an image (good thinking setting those up first, btw), and turn on more detailed logging before trying again.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Oh wait, I'm stupid.

Oops, I'm stupid.

Your install still hanging? The problem is likely here:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54252

To quote stuckless from that thread:
Quote:
Are you installing from the deb package? if so, it will hang there since it will ask for your key in a terminal window, which you'll miss if you don't have the terminal window expanded. (I'm not even sure if the new software center shows the terminal window at all)
So, you need to install from a terminal window (or find the terminal window your GUI package manager opened) and enter the key.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Sage Icon

I downloaded the debian file and tried to run it in the GUI. The installation started. The progress bar went from zero to about 98 percent in a second or two. Then the installation 'hung'.

It would be very helpful to have step by step instructions how to install the Linux SageTV version. The SageTV manual clearly shows the step by step screens for the Windows version. There should be similar documentation for Linux SageTV version. If the debian version should only be installed from the command, then the documentation should clearly specify the commands that need to be entered and warn the user not to try installing it with the GUI. I don't think it would be too much to ask for at least some installation documentation, rather than have the user just guess and figure it out by trial and error.

I've document many complex IT processes at work. After the processes are documented, we have people that are not familiar with the processes 'test' the documentation to make sure that the instructions are clear without missing steps. The documentation are improved and 're-tested' until the documentation is clear and easy to understand. I believe I will figure it out eventually. Although a lot of struggling could have been avoided with better documentation.

Should I try to install the debian SageTV version from the command line? What are the steps to install SageTV?

I've also been looking for tutorials and how-to documentation for installing applications using tarballs, which might help to install the Linux SageTV tarball version.

Dave
Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 AM
SageTVaholic

As quoted above.

Quote:
It is called an OEM version since it is designed as an installation for system manufacturers and does not come with end-user technical support. However, being 'OEM' does not mean that end-users are not allowed to purchase it.
I think this probably means documentation too because functionally the Linux and Windows version functions the same. This is the reason I never went to Linux. I know Windows quite well. Nowhere near the same level as Linux. That being said there have been a few users that have documented the install thru different distributions and thru 32bit/64bit differences. The fact that you are looking for tutorials on using tarballs which is a basic function in any Linux distro probably means you need more knowledge on the Linux side. And I don't mean any of this as an insult so please don't take it that way. Sage created this for OEMs and expects that level of expertise for the Linox install. I've tackled Linux with other apps and I know enough to be dangerous. And as pretty as some of the UI's are in Linux I know I would need a good understanding of the commandline utilities before tacking a Sage install on Linux. There are good books and tutorials out there. Good Luck.

Gerry
Old 03-16-2011, 05:27 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
As quoted above.

It is called an OEM version since it is designed as an installation for system manufacturers and does not come with end-user technical support. However, being 'OEM' does not mean that end-users are not allowed to purchase it.

I think this probably means documentation too because functionally the Linux and Windows version functions the same. This is the reason I never went to Linux. I know Windows quite well. Nowhere near the same level as Linux. That being said there have been a few users that have documented the install thru different distributions and thru 32bit/64bit differences. The fact that you are looking for tutorials on using tarballs which is a basic function in any Linux distro probably means you need more knowledge on the Linux side. And I don't mean any of this as an insult so please don't take it that way. Sage created this for OEMs and expects that level of expertise for the Linox install. I've tackled Linux with other apps and I know enough to be dangerous. And as pretty as some of the UI's are in Linux I know I would need a good understanding of the commandline utilities before tacking a Sage install on Linux. There are good books and tutorials out there. Good Luck.

Gerry
You are correct. I do not have much Linux knowledge and am looking to learn much more. However, this should not prevent a successful installation of Linux SageTV. If you review the step by step Windows installation documentation, it is clear that someone with very little knowledge of Windows could install the Windows SageTV version. The Linux documentation could be at that same level, and does not have to be inferior to the Window installation documentation.

The OEM no end-user support statement should not be relevant in this case. The step by step installation instructions for at least one distro could be provided by the user community. It is in the best interest for all Linux SageTV users to have good Linux SageTV installation documentation. The good documentation will help the number of SageTV Linux users grow instead of wither and die or be stagnant. The more SageTV Linux users, the better for the SageTV Linux community and the better for SageTV as a whole since those users would generally be licensed for both Windows and Linux, bringing more revenue to SageTV, making it a stronger company.

People that are knowledgeable in Linux could create the Linux SageTV installation documentation. The installation documentation could be 'tested' by users that are not very familiar with Linux to reduce or eliminate the 'holes' in the documentation. This would require some effort to create the documentation, but I think the Linux SageTV users on the forum are up to the task.

If the step by step Linux installation documentation exist for the current SageTV version, I haven't found them yet. If they do exist, maybe links could be put to them in the 'sticky' at the top of the Linux forum section.

Dave
Old 03-16-2011, 06:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Check this link: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...42&postcount=5

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...satisfied+java

This whole thread is good: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53116

This is a VM and Ubuntu install for Sage so good instructions for the Sgae install:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...install+Ubuntu

There may be more but this is from a quick search.

Gerry