SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Sage User

Making the switch from Windows to Linux - initial questions

Howdy!

I've been messing around the last few days trying to get MythTV working on my machine and have just been spinning my wheels. The main reason for my difficulties is that I'm a Linux newbie but I have successfully installed Ubuntu Desktop 10.04 LTS so I'm slowly learning, so I'm confident at some point I'll get the hang of it.

I have been using Sage on the Windows side for several years now, so I think the Linux version of Sage is the way to go for me, since I am familiar with the setup, interface, etc.

After reading through the forums here, a couple of questions come to mind:

(1) Do I have to install the Server version of Ubuntu, or will the SageTV Linux version work fine on the Desktop version that I have currently installed? I would prefer the Desktop version since I like the file manager and all that (not quite a terminal-window guru yet). It looks like there are some server-specific packages that I would need to hunt down. What have most people done here?

(2) I have a PVR-350 and use the TV-out on my current Windows set-up (it works OK, but occasionally acts up, no big deal). I would like to use it on the Linux box. I have seen that recent versions of MythTV have dropped support for TV-out on the 350. Can I use TV-out with the Linux version of Sage? Anyone doing this currently?

(3) I currently use a Paterson device for control of my DirecTV box. Any issues with that on a Linux box?

(4) Are schedules provided by Zap2It like they are on the Windows box, or do I need to use something else like Schedules Direct?

I found this in the first entry of this forum:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...242#post257242

Is this still a good how-to?

Thanks for your help.
HTPC: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H Motherboard; AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor; 8 GB RAM; Asus NVidia GeForce GT 430; 1x1000 GB WD SATA HDD (apps, photos, music), 1x1000 GB WD SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Sonata Case; Windows 7 HP 64-bit; SageTV V7.023.246; 1xHauppauge HD-PVR

Video sources: DirecTV H21 receiver controlled with Paterson Technology device
Old 12-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

1 - Either version of ubuntu is fine. I use the desktop version.

2 - I don't know the device. Many of us use the linux box purely as a server, using HD-300's on each TV. Placeshifter on most linux systems can be sub-optimal.

3 - Don't know. If it has a firewire input, it may be easy to control it from there, using the generic tuner plugin.

4 - zap2it.

The how-to looks dated to me. I think that all you need to do now is download the debian installer and run it with gdebi. I think the installer does all the rest for you. But, I haven't done an install for a while so not completely sure.

Good luck!
Old 12-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the replies, loonsailor.

The HD300s are simply devices to play media on TV's throughout your network, right? What do you use as a capture device(s) on your linux server?

I'm assuming the HD-PVR works well with Sage and linux? I recall when it first came out people were having all sorts of problems, but I think those have pretty much died down now, judging from forum activity. Eventually I'd like to get one of those but at this point I'd be happy getting my current hardware working.
HTPC: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H Motherboard; AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor; 8 GB RAM; Asus NVidia GeForce GT 430; 1x1000 GB WD SATA HDD (apps, photos, music), 1x1000 GB WD SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Sonata Case; Windows 7 HP 64-bit; SageTV V7.023.246; 1xHauppauge HD-PVR

Old 12-27-2010, 08:09 AM
Sage User

I purchased the Linux version and used the gdebi installer but I'm having some problems getting things going. I did some poking around in the forums and saw that one problem might be using the open java version, so I followed this thread:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...satisfied+java

I downloaded the latest version of java from their website and installed per the above thread, but I still can't get things to work. When I query which version of java I get this:

Code:
mythtvone@mythtvone:/opt/sagetv/server$ which java
/usr/bin/java
And the version gives this:

Code:
mythtvone@mythtvone:/opt/sagetv/server$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_20"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.9.2) (6b20-1.9.2-0ubuntu1~10.04.1)
OpenJDK Client VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode, sharing)
I altered my startsage file to include the path to the new version of java but it still reverts to the openjava.

I can get the client window to open, but I'm not sure what to do at that point. I think that's pretty useless until I can get the server working.

Any ideas/help? Thanks.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarr11 View Post
I altered my startsage file to include the path to the new version of java but it still reverts to the openjava.
What, exactly, did you do? In sage v7, the best place to put this is in your sagesettings file. Eg:

Code:
% cat /opt/sagetv/server/sagesettings
export PATH=/opt/jre/bin:$PATH
JAVAMEM=-Xmx512m
mkdir -p /var/tmp/sage
JAVAOPTS="-Djava.io.tmpdir=/var/tmp/sage -XX:ThreadPriorityPolicy=42"
%
Line by line, what it does:

1) sets the path for sagetv to use the Sun's JRE.
2) increases the java heap size to 512MB
3) creates a directory for sagetv to use as tmp. My /tmp is fairly small (ram based), and I hate it getting littered with icons & downloaded video podcasts.
I've actually had longer video podcasts (tekzilla) fill it.
4) This sets the temp directory and also uses a "trick" to cause sagetv's threads to have different priorities. This allows the server to prioritize recording I/O over other things.

Drew
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)
Old 12-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
The HD300s are simply devices to play media on TV's throughout your network, right? What do you use as a capture device(s) on your linux server?
Yes. The HD300s are extenders. They're the front-end to a Sage Server running on another computer. The HD300 will also run in standalone mode where it'll just display content it finds via SMB shares. I use mine (an HD200) exclusively as a front-end to a Linux-based Sage server.

Quote:
I'm assuming the HD-PVR works well with Sage and linux? I recall when it first came out people were having all sorts of problems, but I think those have pretty much died down now, judging from forum activity. Eventually I'd like to get one of those but at this point I'd be happy getting my current hardware working.
I use the HDHomeRun for Clear QAM recording. I've never tried the HD-PVR, but it is my understanding that it works. The advantage to the HDHomeRun is you don't have to mess with Linux kernel drivers. I don't know if the HD-PVR is the same.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the replies, drewg and kbyrd.

Drewg, I added the following line to my startsage file per the link I referenced in post #4:

Code:
export PATH=/opt/jre/bin:$PATH
Strange, I don't see a sagesettings file in my /opt/sagetv/server directory. I think someone (possibly you, drewg) mentioned creating a new one. Should I do that, and if so, can someone post theirs that I can use as a template?

Since my earlier post I removed sun java and am about to reinstall it to see if I have any luck. Do you still recommend the following procedure for downloading and installing sun java?

Quote:
What I do is manually download the 32-bit jre tarball from the java.com download page (it is labeled "Linux (self-extracting file) filesize: 20.2 MB"). After it is downloaded, extract it, and make a symlink for it:
Code:
$ sudo mkdir -p /opt
$ cd /opt
$ sudo bash /tmp/jre-6u22-linux-i586.bin
Unpacking...
Checksumming...
Extracting...
UnZipSFX 5.50 of 17 February 2002, by Info-ZIP (Zip-Bugs@lists.wku.edu).
   creating: jre1.6.0_22/
   creating: jre1.6.0_22/bin/
<...>
$ sudo ln -s /opt/jre1.6.0_22 /opt/jre
kbyrd, thanks for the hardware advice. I'll be happy to get my PVR-350 working!

Old 12-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Sage User

OK, I think I've installed Sun Java correctly:

Code:
mythtvone@mythtvone:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_22"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode, sharing)
mythtvone@mythtvone:~$ which java
/usr/bin/java
mythtvone@mythtvone:~$
Is it significant that the path to Sun Java is /usr/bin/java? I noticed that most people have it in /opt/sagetv/.

So I'm getting farther along. Need to resolve some permissions now. Will post back.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Sage User

I changed the path in my startsage file to the new java location:

Code:
export PATH=/usr/bin/java:$PATH
When I run this:

Code:
mythtvone@mythtvone:/opt/sagetv/server$ sudo /opt/sagetv/server/startsage
I get a whole bunch of lines after it hangs on Starting server mode:

Code:
mythtvone@mythtvone:/opt/sagetv/server$ sudo /opt/sagetv/server/startsage
Changing to SageTV directory /opt/sagetv/server
mythtvone@mythtvone:/opt/sagetv/server$ Executing pre-scripts
Starting server mode
mythtvone@mythtvone:~$ java -version
mythtvone@mythtvone:~$: command not found
mythtvone@mythtvone:/opt/sagetv/server$ java version "1.6.0_22"
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: version
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: version
	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)
	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)
Could not find the main class: version.  Program will exit.
mythtvone@mythtvone:/opt/sagetv/server$ Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-b04)
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `TM'
mythtvone@mythtvone:/opt/sagetv/server$ Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode, sharing)
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
mythtvone@mythtvone:/opt/sagetv/server$ mythtvone@mythtvone:~$ which java
mythtvone@mythtvone:/opt/sagetv/server$ /usr/bin/java
Usage: java [-options] class [args...]
           (to execute a class)
   or  java [-options] -jar jarfile [args...]
           (to execute a jar file)

where options include:
    -d32          use a 32-bit data model if available

-d64          use a 64-bit data model if available
    -client	  to select the "client" VM
    -server	  to select the "server" VM
    -hotspot	  is a synonym for the "client" VM  [deprecated]
                  The default VM is client.

-cp <class search path of directories and zip/jar files>
    -classpath <class search path of directories and zip/jar files>
                  A : separated list of directories, JAR archives,
                  and ZIP archives to search for class files.
    -D<name>=<value>
                  set a system property
    -verbose[:class|gc|jni]
                  enable verbose output
    -version      print product version and exit
    -version:<value>
                  require the specified version to run
    -showversion  print product version and continue
    -jre-restrict-search | -jre-no-restrict-search
                  include/exclude user private JREs in the version search
    -? -help      print this help message
    -X            print help on non-standard options
    -ea[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
    -enableassertions[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
                  enable assertions
    -da[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
    -disableassertions[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
                  disable assertions
    -esa | -enablesystemassertions
                  enable system assertions
    -dsa | -disablesystemassertions
                  disable system assertions
    -agentlib:<libname>[=<options>]
                  load native agent library <libname>, e.g. -agentlib:hprof
                    see also, -agentlib:jdwp=help and -agentlib:hprof=help
    -agentpath:<pathname>[=<options>]
                  load native agent library by full pathname
    -javaagent:<jarpath>[=<options>]
                  load Java programming language agent, see java.lang.instrument
    -splash:<imagepath>
                  show splash screen with specified image
mythtvone@mythtvone:/opt/sagetv/server$ mythtvone@mythtvone:~$ 
Clearly there are some Java errors! Any ideas?

Old 12-30-2010, 12:23 AM
Sage User

I removed both Sun Java and Sage server and client to try and do a fresh install. I can't get Sun Java to load correctly from using the terminal window commands, so I installed the jre, bin, and plugins from Synaptic Package Manager, and that seems to work. I have configured Java to use the Sun version.

When I reinstalled the server and client, I don't see much from the server side. I do a client window when I run sageclient.sh (see below).

The server just kinda hangs. Where do I get to the point where I configure tuners, input sources, etc.? Is there a logfile that is generated for the server for troubleshooting? If so, where is it located?

I'm going to bed now, will try again in the morning.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot-SageTV Placeshifter Servers Manager.png (18.8 KB, 209 views)

Old 12-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
The server just kinda hangs. Where do I get to the point where I configure tuners, input sources, etc.? Is there a logfile that is generated for the server for troubleshooting? If so, where is it located?
- stop sage (and verify via ps -ef that there is no java process running; if there is, do "sudo pkill -9 java")

- edit sagetv/server/Sage.properties (use whatever linux text editor you're comfortable with; gedit would be a good choice if you're new to linux)
Look for the line:
debug_logging=false
Change it to read
debug_logging=true

- Re-start sagetv

- Logfile should be in sagetv_0.txt
Once that fills, it is rotated to sagetv_1.txt, and a new sagetv_0.txt is started. Sage saves 4 of these files (0-3) by default.

Remind me -- what version of Ubuntu are you running? 32-bit? Or 64-bit? Send output from uname -a.

Drew
Old 12-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Sage User

Drewg, I'm running 32-bit ubuntu:

Code:
mythtvone@mythtvone:/opt/sagetv/client$ uname -a
Linux mythtvone 2.6.32-27-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Wed Dec 1 23:52:12 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
Amazing what a good night's sleep will do...

I was able to connect client to server this morning and go through the entire setup process, and even got some video to come through. Woo Hoo!

I'm using a Paterson device to control my DirecTV box, and that isn't working at the moment. I might have chosen the wrong COM port during setup, but I'll check that. I'll search the forums for a little while to see what else I can find, too.

And my Hauppauge remote isn't working, and I didn't get any option to configure the 45 button remote, but I haven't installed any software for that. Again, more forum searching, unless anyone has any tips for that.

Thanks for the help so far. Will post back with more.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Sage User

Hmmm. Well, I exited from Sage, did some research on configuring lirc for the remote, and went back into Sage client. Now the server is not connected and it looks like I have to go through the setup process again. Is there something I did wrong during the initial setup, or is there a file that needs editing? Thanks.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Hmmm. Well, I exited from Sage, did some research on configuring lirc for the remote, and went back into Sage client. Now the server is not connected and it looks like I have to go through the setup process again. Is there something I did wrong during the initial setup, or is there a file that needs editing? Thanks.
What do you mean "server is not connected" ?

Do you mean you cannot connect to the server? Is it still running?

Drew
Old 12-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Sage User

When I launch the client, the initial screen comes up, and has this:

Code:
My SageTV
Last Connected:  Never
The server is not running.

If I manually start the server using sudo /opt/sagetv/server/startsage, and then try to connect with My SageTV in the client window, the main Sage Media Center flashes briefly, then disappears.

Since
Code:
which java
gives
Code:
/usr/bin/java
, I added the following lines near the top of both /opt/sagetv/server/startsage and /opt/sagetv/server/startsagecore:

Code:
export PATH=/usr/bin:$PATH
This didn't really do anything, but I did it anyway since several posts suggested it.

Anyway, starting the client again, and try to connect to the server, I get an error window as shown in the attached file below.

Here is the miniclient log:

Code:
Starting MiniClient
Thu 12/30 16:54:24.869 Detecting cryptography support...
Thu 12/30 16:54:25.666 Sending out discovery packets to find SageTVPlaceshifter Servers...
Thu 12/30 16:54:25.703 Starting SageTVPlaceshifter Client
Thu 12/30 16:54:25.724 Starting main loop
Thu 12/30 16:54:25.725 StorageDeviceDetector started...
Thu 12/30 16:54:28.819 Attempting to connect to server at 192.168.0.102:31099
Thu 12/30 16:54:28.825 ERROR with socket connection: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
Thu 12/30 16:54:35.676 Sending out discovery packets to find SageTVPlaceshifter Servers...
Thu 12/30 16:54:45.680 Sending out discovery packets to find SageTVPlaceshifter Servers...
Thu 12/30 16:54:55.682 Sending out discovery packets to find SageTVPlaceshifter Servers...
So for some reason it's not connecting to the server. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot-Connection Error.png (12.4 KB, 162 views)

Old 12-31-2010, 07:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Check your firewall. Make sure the correct ports are opened. (31099 is one of them.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:12 AM
Sage User

Thank you, Gerry. I'll check that. I remember seeing several ports referenced in the initial setup. Where do I find that list of ports to fiddle with on my router?

I'm assuming that you all set up your servers with a static IP address on your networks, right? I didn't do that during the initial setup, but I can see how having a dynamic address would cause problems.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:57 AM
SageTVaholic

From the FAQ: Ports
I use DNS but reserve the address in the DHCP server (router).

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Sage User

Calling it quits with SageTV and Linux.

Thanks for all the responses and help you gave me. I really wanted this to work out, but I came to the realization that I simply do not have the Linux skills nor the time to make this work. As Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Being unfamiliar with the operating system is a big disadvantage, but I have found the installation of this to be an extremely frustrating experience. I'm still planning on building a new system with an HD-PVR, but unfortunately it will be Windows 7-based, since I'm more familiar and comfortable setting that up. Perhaps when I win the lottery and have nothing but time on my hands I can make it work...

Anyway, thanks again, best of luck, and happy new year!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Sage User

hate to see you give up

I have been kicking around the idea of a linux Sage server for a while now. Like you, I also am not as comfortable with linux as windows, but enjoy tinkering with it. I was following along hoping for some encouraging stories. In the mean time I have found a reasonably fast used computer for almost no money (needs a hard drive) to tinker with. I think I will forge ahead with it but maybe I should try to polish my linux skills first.
8 gig ram windows 10 64 bit, sage V9.2.0.441 64 bit running in a VM on a ESXI 6.0 host - Xeon 1246 E3 - 32 GB ram, 2 TB recording drive with the controller passed through and 5 TB recording drive spave in a Freenas server, 1 silicon dust HDHR DUO and 1 Quatro for 6 OTA tuners, 1 HDHR Prime for 3 cable tuners, 2 BM1000-HDMI network encoders for cableboxes, 2 Placeshifters, 3 extenders, 1client