SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:17 AM

Ubuntu 11.04 and SageTV V7

I have been running SageTV V7 with Ubuntu 10.10 very sucessfully up until now. I installed Ubuntu 11.04 and I cannot install SageTV. The install starts but hangs. Does anyone know of any compatability issues or tips?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micatech View Post
I have been running SageTV V7 with Ubuntu 10.10 very sucessfully up until now. I installed Ubuntu 11.04 and I cannot install SageTV. The install starts but hangs. Does anyone know of any compatability issues or tips?
Are you installing from the deb package? if so, it will hang there since it will ask for your key in a terminal window, which you'll miss if you don't have the terminal window expanded. (I'm not even sure if the new software center shows the terminal window at all).

Bet to try installing using the tgz download.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Bet to try installing using the tgz download.
I keep meaning to ask, what's the verdict on the deb packages? Do they work well? Do they do anything besides throw all files in /opt/sage? Do they express dependencies?

I've been using the tarballs, and wondered if it's worth trying these debs.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:06 AM
SageTVaholic

The placeshifter deb will tell you about missing dependencies. I am assuming the server one will as well. 11.04 is not released yet on the ubuntu.com page.

FWIW - When I ran Ubuntu, I preferred the tgz files instead of .deb. Largely due to the fact that I am running 64-bit.

B
Old 02-27-2011, 09:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbyrd View Post
I keep meaning to ask, what's the verdict on the deb packages? Do they work well? Do they do anything besides throw all files in /opt/sage? Do they express dependencies?

I've been using the tarballs, and wondered if it's worth trying these debs.
The only real advantage that I can see is that the .deb packages include the init scripts to start/stop sagetv as a service. So, if you install the .tgz file you may still need to grab the init scripts from the .deb file (maybe sage should put them in the .tgz archive under 'contrib/etc/' or something.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
The only real advantage that I can see is that the .deb packages include the init scripts to start/stop sagetv as a service. So, if you install the .tgz file you may still need to grab the init scripts from the .deb file (maybe sage should put them in the .tgz archive under 'contrib/etc/' or something.
Do the debs end up running sagetv as root? That's a non-starter for me..

Drew
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)
Old 02-27-2011, 11:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg View Post
Do the debs end up running sagetv as root? That's a non-starter for me..

Drew
It does run as root... but I sure the init scripts could easily be tweaks to run as another user.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
It does run as root... but I sure the init scripts could easily be tweaks to run as another user.
The install scripts (part of the deb package) would need to be tweaked to create a specific sagetv user, etc. Similar to how the mythtv installation works.

I was a Unix sysadmin for 10 years, and running a big, complex server as root gives me the willies.

Drew
Old 03-04-2011, 07:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg View Post
The install scripts (part of the deb package) would need to be tweaked to create a specific sagetv user, etc. Similar to how the mythtv installation works.

I was a Unix sysadmin for 10 years, and running a big, complex server as root gives me the willies.

Drew
I've been running linux since about 1992 (actually started with minx before moving to linux ), so you'd think that I'd be more motivated to actually change it... but I can never find the time

Maybe someone, that has already done this in the init scripts, could post them (or maybe they already have... I haven't really looked)
Old 03-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Awhile back I played with running STV v7 a non-root user but went back to running as root, unless it's been changed in the latest releases, Sage implemented the java feature ThreadPriorityPolicy. This java feature allows threads to set a priority. Unfortunately, this works only if you start java with root privileges because the setpriority function sets nice level for processes and a process can't lower a nice level.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocKKer View Post
Awhile back I played with running STV v7 a non-root user but went back to running as root, unless it's been changed in the latest releases, Sage implemented the java feature ThreadPriorityPolicy. This java feature allows threads to set a priority. Unfortunately, this works only if you start java with root privileges because the setpriority function sets nice level for processes and a process can't lower a nice level.
Read this post by drewg for thread priority settings as non-root.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
Read this post by drewg for thread priority settings as non-root.
In case its not obvious, -XX:ThreadPriorityPolicy=42 is a hack to the Sun JRE to allow thread priorities to work under linux as a non-root user. See http://tech.stolsvik.com/2010/01/lin...orkaround.html for details.

Drew
Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 AM
SageTVaholic

I wonder if this is related?

B
Old 05-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Same problem here. Does that mean there is no trial version for the linux oem version? If I run the .tgz version will it complain about multiple dependencies?
Old 05-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

There is no trial version for Linux. Several people have asked over the years, Sage appears to be firm on this.

As for the tgz version, in my experience Sage server won't complain about things missing, some things just won't work. HOWEVER, it has also been my experience that with Sage7 server, all the libraries Sage needed were included. This may not be true of every feature (I think transcoding on the fly needs something), but for the the basic functionality, it all seems to work on a really minimal install.

I have no experience with anything other than the server package on Linux.