SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Sage User

Sage forgot all it's settings and started up as if it was a new install

Well, it's been a bit of a frustrating night. I don't have all the details on hand as the wife is watching the TV at the moment, but I thought I'd share what I do know.

About 3 weeks back I rebuilt my Sage computer from scratch with Windows 7 and the latest version of SageTV. Installed, configured my 2 directv receivers along with all the channel lineups, etc... programmed the remote just the way I wanted it, setup and run SageMCE and tweaked out until I was happy.

Everything was fine and I was alright with my old videos being in the videos directory rather than the Sage recordings list, I expected that.

Fast forward 3 weeks later and after a windows update last night, I brought up Sage and I'm greeted with the Select Your Country screen. Sage reverted back to thinking it was a fresh install with no settings configured. I lost EVERYTHING that I spent so long setting up.

I rolled back to a restore point from yesterday when everything was fine, but it didn't make a difference.

So after spending another hour reconfiguring my receivers, channel line-ups, remote, SageMCE, themes, fonts, options, etc... I'm back up and running however now all my new recordings from the last 3 weeks are stuck in the videos directory and not under Sage recordings again. And I've also got like 6 random recordings listed in the Sage recordings list that are not only nothing I've recorded, but listed as being recorded on 3/27 (a week out from now) and I can't delete them. When I play them they are not even the videos that they say they are.

So needless to say I'm a bit frustrated and am curious if anyone else has seen this yet.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Sage User

Quick update.

After doing some reading on Win7 and Sage, I found the virtual store and restored a copy of that wiz.bin file and everything seems to have gone back to the way it was. This is interesting though as I have the user control settings all the way at the lowest level which I thought prevented the virtual store from being involved.

Oh well, at least it's back with all my recording favorites and sage recordings list.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

There is possibly a very simple explanation.

If you start a Sage client on a machine which normally has a Sage service running under an administrator account, but hasn't for some reason, it will ignore the settings in the Program Files folder and go looking in the Virtual Store. And of course if it doesn't find any there it will start prompting you for them. This happens to me fairly often and is my reminder that I've forgotten to start the service.

From your description it sounds like you have for some reason switched the other way (from Virtual Store to Program Files) and the reason for that is almost certainly because a Sage installation previously running non-privileged is now running with full-time administrator privileges. There are several ways this could have happened: maybe you used to run Sage as a service under LocalSystem(default) and are now running it under an administrator user, or maybe you previously didn't run it as a service and now do. Or it could simply be that you've switched off UAC?

I suggest always running Sage as service, giving it the username and password of an administrator account. That way everything will be stored in Program Files (or Progam Files (x86) if you're 64 bit).

Last edited by fac13; 03-20-2010 at 02:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Sage User

Good info, thank you for the explanation!