SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sage Forgot my Favorites and moved recordings to Video Library (Imported)

Any ideas why Sage (2.2.4b with Cayars17) forgot my long list of favorites and also moved all of my recorded shows into the Video Library (Impored) section? Everything has been working well. I turned the machine off last night so it could cool down (another issue I have with this blasted Overture case! UGH) and then powered it up this morning to see those changes.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Administrator

It sounds like perhaps wiz.bin got corrupted, though that shouldn't be happening. Did you close SageTV before shutting down? Maybe it was in the middle of an EPG update when you shut down? Since you are using the beta, there should be a log file in the SageTV directory, unless you've restarted several times (it keeps the last 4 files). I would save the log files from last night & this morning and file a bug report.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Which log file would I be looking for/at?

I have:
Sagetv_0.txt
Sagetv_2.txt
Sagetv_3.txt
hs_err_pid1852.log
Old 02-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Administrator

You could always save them all when something like this happens. But... #0 is always the latest one, created when you start SageTV. The others are renumbered 1-3 with #3 being the oldest. The previous #3 is deleted so that only 4 remain. You would have to look at the dates on your files to know when they were created & which one applies to what happened.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks, Andy, for your assistance. I did backup the files. When I get home I'll look over the #0 file and go from there. If I can make heads or tails of what I'm reading I'll fill out a bug report.

Earlier you asked if I shut down Sage...yeah, first I window it then click the X in the top, right corner.

Last edited by AWS; 02-02-2005 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWS
When I get home I'll look over the #0 file and go from there. If I can make heads or tails of what I'm reading I'll fill out a bug report.
#0 would be the latest one, not the one from the other night. I would just file a report & they may ask for the log or parts of it.

- Andy
Old 02-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Andy - I too am seeing this problem almost on a daily basis with Sage 2.2.4b. When I try to run the GUI, it hangs at the screen saying "trying to initialize Sage service". If I try stopping and restarting the service thru the service control app, that fails to stop the service.

After all these, if I kill SageTVService.exe from task manager and restart it, the GUI finally starts, but all my favorites are gone and recording list becomes empty. Also, looking at the sage installation directory, I find a corrupt wiz.bin file everytime.

Anyway, I want to file a bug report for this, but how do I attach the error log file ? They are pretty big (around 10MB each).

Thanks !
Old 02-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Administrator

I would just file a bug report & see if you are asked for the log. If I have to submit a log, I usually try to reproduce the error on a quick start SageTV, produce the error, & exit in order keep the log as small as possible.

There's a new beta release candidate out too, so you can see what happens with it.

- Andy
Old 02-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I would just file a bug report & see if you are asked for the log. If I have to submit a log, I usually try to reproduce the error on a quick start SageTV, produce the error, & exit in order keep the log as small as possible.
Thanks Andy ! The problem is, that I can't reproduce this problem in a predictable manner. It has happened quite a few times since I upgraded to 2.2.4 , but I have not found any specific pattern on how or why it happens.

Fortunately I run the batch script to back up my wiz.bin/wiz.bak and sage.properties files every day, and keep the last 30 days worth of backup, so evey time the wiz.bin got corrupted, I was able to replace it with a fairly recent copy and didn't really lose anything important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
There's a new beta release candidate out too, so you can see what happens with it.

- Andy
Yes, I saw that just this morning. Will upgrade to 2.2.5 RC first thing when I get back home this evening.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Bug Submitted

I did report this bug to Sage Tech Support.

sudipto: They replied to me via e-mail and asked that I send the sagetv_X.txt files. So I sent what I had to them via an attachment.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks AWS ! I submitted the bug earlier today as well, and they asked the same of me.

I am at work now, but will send it to them first thing this evening when I get back home.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

...and it did it again...

Ok, it just did it again. I had the HTPC on and I went away overnight. The HTPC went into standby mode (S3) and it didn't come back to life correctly. Had to push the power button in for 5 seconds to kill it. Rebooted the machine, Sage service started then I started the UI. Sage forgot the favorites and moved all of my recordings into the import section. Frustrating. Help?

I do have a wiz.bin.corrupt0 file in my sage directory. Can anything be done with that???

Last edited by AWS; 02-12-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:45 AM
Sage Icon

You should also have a Wiz.bak save a copy of all of these Wiz's and rename wiz.bak to wiz.bin. You may have lost some things but it shouldn't be too much.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Briands: thanks for the info. I already re-added all of my favorites and this time I've printed off a list of what they are. Next time I'll try using the win.bak method your described.

I have re-submitted this issue to BETA support.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Administrator

If SageTV sees that wiz.bin is corrupt, it should automatically use wiz.bak. If that too is corrupt somehow, you will need a different backup. There is some info about backup utilities here.

- Andy
Old 02-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

-- end --

Looks like Sage has fixed this. Here is a cut-n-paste of their reply to my bug submission:

"This issue with the SageTV Service has been fixed for the next build of SageTV.

For now just don't use the Service and this problem won't occur."

Thanks, Sage.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWS
"For now just don't use the Service and this problem won't occur."

Thanks, Sage.
What kind of solution is this... Yeah, the software wont crash if you don't use it...
Old 02-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands
What kind of solution is this... Yeah, the software wont crash if you don't use it...
You forgot to include this line in your quote:

Quote:
"This issue with the SageTV Service has been fixed for the next build of SageTV.
The solution is that Frey said it should be fixed in the next release. The line you quoted was something to do until then to work around it.

- Andy
Old 02-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hey, I'm a programmer too and understand that sometimes code needs to be tweaked in order to work as it should on ALL computers running it. So I'm pleased that Sage not only replied but has a solution.