SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Sage User

Low Volume in Windows 7

I have a newly installed Windows 7 OS on a system previously running XP, SageTV, and no problems for years.

Now, with Windows 7's new way of handling audio outs, I have a problem with the volume slider in Sage only functioning for the top 40% (rough estimate). The lower 60% does nothing. When looking at Sage as represented in Window's mixer, I can see that the slider bottoms out when Sage's slider is at 60%.

Perhaps even worse, when I set the levels, as soon as I change the volume within Sage, the mixer's Sage drops to near nothing.

I have disabled the auto volume reduction for communications, but that didn't make any difference.

I have searched around here and found similar problems, but no answers. Same goes for Google searches: similar problems, but no answers. I'm open to any ideas, and I'd be very grateful for an education in the new Windows model for sound output.

Core-i5 6600k
16GB RAM
Hauppauge WinTV-QuadHD
Win10
Old 02-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Sage Icon

I just reinstalled Windows 7 on my Mac and had the same problem. I had to go into the Detailed Setup area and change the Audio Renderer (in the Video / Audio section). In my case, I had to select "Direct Sound: Speakers (Apple USB audio device)" or "Speakers: (Apple USB audio device)"
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5
Old 02-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Sage User

Thanks, fidget, but I've tried that (and just tried again). I guess what I'm looking for might be a way to hard-link Sage's volume with the mixer volume. Then again, maybe not. I don't fully understand the subsystem.

Core-i5 6600k
16GB RAM
Hauppauge WinTV-QuadHD
Win10
Old 02-15-2010, 02:05 AM
Sage Icon

I submitted a ticket on the issue and Sage said that Windows 7 isn't supported, even though others mentioned the same problem in other OS's.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:13 AM
SageTVaholic

While I've never had this problem, I also never use the Sage volume control. What you might try is using ReClock as your Audio Renderer. That provides the capability to use WASAPI output (the new direct Sound Card connection in Vista/Win7), which should mostly bypass the windows mixer.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Sage User

ReClock, huh? I just may try that. Does it uninstall cleanly?

Core-i5 6600k
16GB RAM
Hauppauge WinTV-QuadHD
Win10
Old 02-16-2010, 05:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Yes

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-16-2010, 05:22 AM
Sage Fanatic

Have you tried using the following setting in the sage.properties file?

media_player_uses_system_volume=true
Old 02-16-2010, 07:21 AM
Sage User

No, Doc. I never even thought to look in there. I'll experiment with that later today.

Core-i5 6600k
16GB RAM
Hauppauge WinTV-QuadHD
Win10
Old 02-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Sage User

So the entry in sage.properties solved the issue of Sage's internal volume being set to 0 at startup. That's handy.

As for the volume, I've set my remote to control system volume, rather than Sage volume. I use LM Remote KeyMap to configure my old MCE remote. So while I don't see Sage's volume slider on volume change, I do see the one provided by LM Remote KeyMap, which I have positioned in the same corner as Sage's own.

For those following this thread looking to make Sage 6 work with Windows 7, you may find, like I have, that upon starting Sage with your computer there are no recordings listed. This happens when the service isn't started. The service won't start when the Sage app is running.

To solve this I have set the service to Automatic, that is, start when Windows starts. Then I have configured the power button on my remote to start the Sage app if it isn't already running, or to issue Sage's sleep command if it is.

Core-i5 6600k
16GB RAM
Hauppauge WinTV-QuadHD
Win10

Tags
sound, volume, windows 7