SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Sage User

Changing channels on a Comcast RNG110

Has anyone figured out how to change channels on the new Comcast RNG110? I've been trying to use a USB-UIRT and the Hauppauge HD-PVR IR Blaster and I cannot make either work.

I taught the USB-UIRT the codes using the SageTV interface, but the USB-UIRT's signal is not accepted by the STB. There is a light that flashes on the box when you use the "special" Comcast Remote (old Comcast remotes will note work with this unit). When using the USB-UIRT you do not get any flashes from the STB. USB-UIRT works fine with Moto STB.

I also tried the IrHelper utility. No Go. It can learn the code, but when you test send from it, you get no response from the STB.

I'm wondering if it is possible to change channels using the Firewire or IR port on the back of the box. I haven't been able to get the IR port to work. I haven't tried the FireWire port yet.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Sage User

Just in case anyone was wondering, I gave up on the Comcast RNG110. I could not get a reaction out of this box from my USB-UIRT or my Haupauge IR Blaster. At first I was pretty discouraged because the local Comcast office and the phone rep refused to give me one of the older Motorola HD boxes. They said they were all going back to Motorola. Eventually they gave me the support escalation number.

I called this number on a Saturday and got the voicemail for the Salt Lake City customer support escalation team. I left a message and didn't expect a thing. Boy was I surprised when the called me back first thing Monday morning and then had a older Motorola box sitting at the local office with my name on it by noon on Monday. Wow.

Thank you Comcast! I'm now recording HD (and am able to change channels) using my HD-PVR.

I noticed Harmony tech support and another Remote Control company having trouble getting the RNG110 to work with universal remotes. Beware and avoid the RNG100.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Location: Stockton, CA - Most miserable city in the USA, SageTV makes it bearable
Has anybody gotten this STB to work yet?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Does the remote they sent you have JP1 headers or even better pins?

B
Old 10-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Mine works with firewire. I am on linux, so using the program 6200ch to do it. It must be exactly the same protocol as the Motorola 6200 family, because that's what the program was written for.

I did need to modify the program just slightly, to make it recognize the rng110 as a STB that it could control.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Sage Icon

I have a remote code for a Motorola DCT6200. You might try my DCT6200 IR file, just in case it works.

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: zip MotorolaDCT6200.zip (437 Bytes, 745 views)
Old 04-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am bringing this thread back to life. Our local Comcast office is giving out Cisco RNGxxx boxes now, I have a RNG150 HD box. I am trying to get a Happauge HD-PVR working with this box, but their blaster software will not learn any of the RNG150 commands.

Based on this thread, it looks like I have 2 options (1) try to get firewire channel changing to work (2) try to get a USB-UIRT to work.

The new remotes do have JP1 pins where the battery is located. I have a JP1 cable somewhere, definately forgot how to use it all. How does this tie into Sage?

Do you have any suggestions or recommendations?

EDIT1:
Other information from http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...hread.cgi?9317

"The RNG150 uses the XMP protocol. Among remotes made by Universal Electronics, which includes Comcast and higher end Vizo, the setup code is Cable 1982. However, the Vizio VUR8 and URC-66700 don't have this code. Maybe a newer Vizio remote (e.g. the VUR9) does have it. If you try to enter Cable 1982, and you get two blinks, then the remote has the code. Otherwise, you either need to 1) use the Comcast remote, or 2) get a JP1 cable and upload the XMP protocol, or 3) buy a universal.

Besides the Comcast, the RCA RCRP05B ($20 at Best Buy and maybe Walgreens) or OneForAll URC-8820N or 10820N (Sears, but make sure the suffiz is N and not B00) have C1982.

If you want to use the Comcast and have it operate the Vizio, the setup code 11758. You can add in discrete codes (if your TV model supports them) using the data and procedures on page two of the Vizio discrete thread. Make sure you prepend two zeros to the 3 digt EFCs to make up the 5 digit EFCs that the Comcast remote requires."

Edit 2:
There are codes for the RNG200 in the link below. See posts 11 and 16. Do these apply to Sage and the HD-DVR?
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...hread.cgi?9210

Last edited by najames; 04-01-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Sage Icon

If you look in the RNG110 it is using a Motorola M-Card... does this help somehow?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Sage Fanatic

If you're running one of the 32-bit OS's then you should try firewire channel changing. If you're on 64-bit then give the IR a shot, or swap out the cable box.

Sage can learn commands from your remote directly, I just found that no matter what I did when I sent them back out to the 110 they just didn't register (as have a number of others here).
Old 04-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Sage Icon

I found I could change channel and record, by forcing the driver to use "Pace AV/C (Laguna)" and "Pace Panal (Laguna).

Unfortunately I also noticed:

1. The video was always corrupted (lots of artifacts, skipped frames etc)
2. It would BSOD after a few minutes (probably the AV/C , not the Panel)
Old 04-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Sage Fanatic

So recording not so good....
Old 04-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Sage Icon

Unfortunately not.... I had hopes since they are giving out the RNG110s now as standard.

I was able to get my hands on some Mot DCT-6200s fortunately. But it would be nice to work with these new ones...
Old 05-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Sage User

I'm able to get my Hauppauge IR Blaster changing channels no-problem using the standard configuration (codeset 0085). My problem is that I'm running SageTV v5 and it seems that the "Tuner Control" locks at "N/A" as soon as I move from "Tuner" to "Composite" input. And of course the RNG110 doesn't have a coaxial output. Bah! Can SageTV v5 use the IR Blaster with Composite input? Do I need to upgrade to v6?

And tell me more about this firewire control...is that also a v6 feature? Sounds far superior, as the IR Blaster was always a bit messy and prone to breaking.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Sage User

UPDATE: Bit the bullet and upgraded to SageTV 6.6. Had to update the STV config on-line about 10 times but after that I was able to select both Composite input and Hauppauge IR Blaster in the video source setup. Works perfectly. Still want to try that firewire option...

BTW, I did configure the IR Blaster first. The IR Blaster Config program wants a channel, so I set up a dummy Composite channel using the Hauppauge WinTV program. Then I configured the blaster for Cable/Comcast/0085 and pointed it at that channel.
Get the latest Hauppauge drivers and software here: http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/softw...v6_cd_4.6b.exe
Old 05-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

RNG110 IR blast working

I'm IR Blasting sucessfully the RNG110 with the old IR200L blaster, using the std Comcast DCT2000 code in Sage, but had to change the Repeat Factor to 5 for reliabity. 5 repeats makes for rather slow channel changes but it works. I upped the delay between codes to 800ms to add a small gap. At about 700ms or less there is no diffrence in the rate (due to 5 repeats).

Also, I used the RNG110's external IR port -- uses the same ext IR-Eye cable as Comcast DTA (included in the DTA box). I picked up a Eye cable at local Comcast office. I then covered the RNG110 front panel IR port so it doesnt respond to any external Comcast remote signals. The IR200L and IR-eye are wrapped in a a piece of foam pipe insulation.

TW

Last edited by teedublu; 05-23-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedublu View Post
I'm IR Blasting sucessfully the RNG110 with the old IR200L blaster, using the std Comcast DCT2000 code in Sage, but had to change the Repeat Factor to 5 for reliabity. 5 repeats makes for rather slow channel changes but it works. I upped the delay between codes to 800ms to add a small gap. At about 700ms or less there is no diffrence in the rate (due to 5 repeats).

Also, I used the RNG110's external IR port -- uses the same ext IR-Eye cable as Comcast DTA (included in the DTA box). I picked up a Eye cable at local Comcast office. I then covered the RNG110 front panel IR port so it doesnt respond to any external Comcast remote signals. The IR200L and IR-eye are wrapped in a a piece of foam pipe insulation.

TW
I just updated my STB to the RNG110 from the DCT2000. I was using the Hauppauge PVR-350 and now have a HD-PVR. Could you shed some light on getting the IR200L working with my HD-PVR to RNG110? It's been so long since I set up the IR200L that I've totally forgotten how.

Many Thanks,

Mark.

Update: Never mind. I figured it out. I removed my HD-PVR and re-added it using the DCT2000.

Last edited by SkierHiker; 09-22-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Sage User

I'm running into this same issue with a MSCC9062 box. By using the codes from the link above, I was able to get the UIRT to send a command, but now my cable box tunes to a repeat of the first digit... 41 becomes 444 etc.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkierHiker View Post
I just updated my STB to the RNG110 from the DCT2000. I was using the Hauppauge PVR-350 and now have a HD-PVR. Could you shed some light on getting the IR200L working with my HD-PVR to RNG110? It's been so long since I set up the IR200L that I've totally forgotten how.

Many Thanks,

Mark.

Update: Never mind. I figured it out. I removed my HD-PVR and re-added it using the DCT2000.
I've since started using the HD-PVR and I'm using its blaster using the STB brand Comcast (codeset 0805 if I recall) in the BlasterConfig program. I Updated the blaster software, the version on the CD was older.

My next task is to use the IR200L as described earlier to tune a Comcast DTA (albeit poor quality RF modulated SDef, using a trusty-dusty PVR-250).

TW
Old 10-23-2010, 04:56 AM
SageTVaholic

I tried the built in IR blaster and it seemed to work OK, but after a couple of days I had some missed recordings so I tried my USB-UIRT. During setup I simply selected the DCT2000 (I think that was what it is called) and everything has worked perfectly for a couple of weeks now. I didn't have to learn any codes it just worked.

I think I read somewhere that the RNG110 has had firmware updates that resolved a lot of the issues people were having with the remote codes. Out of curiosity I did try learning codes from the STB remote and had no luck.

Tags
channel, comcast rng110