SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:00 AM
Sage User

Do Vista MCE Remotes work for SageTV on XP?

Has anyone had any experience using a Vista MCE remote with SageTV on XP? The reason I ask is that I'm looking for an inexpensive remote for Sage on my XP machine, but the StreamZap apparently has some driver problems that causes it to randomly stop responding and force reboots. Someone on the above thread recommended buying a MCE remote from Newegg, but those remotes are mostly for Vista Media Center.

I read somewhere that Vista MCE remotes don't work with XP MCE -- this makes sense, but they don't say whether the Vista remotes could still work with SageTV on XP. The remote I'm interested in is this one, which is a Vista MCE remote that has learning capabilities (!), so I can program it to control my other devices. It also fits nicely within my budget (I'm looking for something less than $40).

Thanks very much in advance for your advice!

Last edited by plasm; 03-15-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Sage Icon

I wouldn't think that the protocol or codes have changed from XP to Vista. So, if you have SP3 or the eHome IR Update for XP, it should work. I know XP hardware works on Vista for Sage...I use the MCE Receiver and Keyboard. Newegg has a good return policy as well.

P
Old 03-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
I wouldn't think that the protocol or codes have changed from XP to Vista. So, if you have SP3 or the eHome IR Update for XP, it should work. I know XP hardware works on Vista for Sage...I use the MCE Receiver and Keyboard. Newegg has a good return policy as well.

P
Thanks! This is reassuring. I am a bit concerned about the driver for the receiver unit and the software for the learning function. Those bits of software might be Vista-only. I guess I could just return it if it doesn't work.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Sage User

plasm - did you have any luck with that remote? I am thinking of buying this similar "Vista certified" remote for my XP system (this one) so I was wondering if yours worked. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumak View Post
plasm - did you have any luck with that remote? I am thinking of buying this similar "Vista certified" remote for my XP system (this one) so I was wondering if yours worked. Thanks.
I actually ended up getting the ATI Remote Wonder II instead of the Vista remote since it was guaranteed to work with XP. There's no native support within the SageTV software, but it works okay when used with the associated plugin. Not ideal, but workable.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Sage User

I'm still on a mission to find a relatively cheap remote for XP, and I was looking at this MCE remote on ebay. The seller told me that it only works with XP Media Center. Can I assume that anything compatible with XP Media Center will work with regular XP also?

Tags
mce, media center edition, remote, vista, windows xp