SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Question Looking for SageTV/DirecTV recommendations

BRIEF BACKGROUND
Back in the late 90's, we were avid subscribers to DirecTV, and combined with several ReplayTV boxes, everything worked well--very well. 3 years ago, we moved, and we have since been served by Charter Cable, and overall, the service has been great (service as in "offerings", not customer service--that's another issue.) Charter, combined with SageTV, has been an excellent choice, and we are happy with the results with one analog connection and one digital STB connection.

But as anyone knows who has dealt with cable companies, the honeymoon is long over, prices no longer are discounted, and the prices continue to go up and up. In an effort to try to cut some costs, we are again looking into DirecTV.

We found that the Choice Xtra package will fit our needs, and the overall price is less than Charter's "Big Value" package. We have no current need for HD, but eventually, we may (I do understand the issues related to Satellite HD.)

So the programming aligns nicely, but now, I need to address the SageTV technical issues of managing inputs and changing channels. What do fellow SageTV/DirecTV users recommend for a solid SageTV/DirecTV setup?

RECEIVERS
Initially, I would like to connect at 2 receivers to two existing PVR-150 cards. Down the road, I may add a third receiver and PVR-150 card, but for now, I'm limiting it to two. What receivers do you recommend? The DirecTV site seems to have limited "plain" receivers.

Do you recommend I purchase/lease new ones from a DirecTV dealer, or should I go to eBay and try my luck there? (I see LOTS of D10 and D11 boxes at very reasonable prices on eBay.)

CONNECTIVITY
I am also wondering how DirecTV boxes are controlled (to change the channels.) Are they plain IR requiring IR blasters, or can I use serial connections? (I prefer serial if possible.) Will I need any SageTV add-ons to control via serial? (For example, our DCT-2000 digital cable box needed a small add-on application to control the DCT-2000 via serial.)

My goal is to simply have everything functionally work the same as it now does: Select a show to watch or record, and let SageTV do the rest. It's the technical "middle part" I'm having a bit of trouble with.

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions....

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.

Last edited by jbarr; 06-18-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:32 PM
SageTVaholic

D11 or D12 are good enough. go to http://www.patersontech.com for serial tuning. Leasing makes more sense for the receivers as they will give you them free.

B
Old 06-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Check out my recent posts. I'm a recent convert to DirectTV, with the same package you're looking at.
Its not a big deal to get Sage involved with DirectTV.
Source(1): DirecTV H21, HD-PVR (E1) driver 1.5.7
Source(2): HDHomeRun, Winegard GS-2200
Old 06-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Sage Icon

I tried serial connection to a D10, and that worked very well although I had to use an old DLL plus a registry entry to get it working.

By the way, that brief background isn't needed, all you have to ask was what STB to get and how to control DTV STBs.

For the DCT cable boxes, I just use Multi-DCTuner 1.2, which is just a DLL plus some other files to place in SageTV's Common folder, there is no external app.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.

Last edited by mayamaniac; 06-18-2007 at 03:44 PM.