SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Sage User

Internet Gateway & Placeshifter connection via ID?

I've installed SageTV Media Center on a trial basis on a spare desktop on my home network and got all the basics working. I configured Placeshifter and it automatically enabled the UPNP settings on my router. I installed placeshifter on my laptop and could only get it to work using the IP (it doesn't work using the ID). Yesterday I noticed that all my computers now have a new listing in the Network Connections folder of Windows XP:

Internet Connection
--- Internet Gateway

When I select the "Status" of "Internet Gateway" I see a constant stream of packets and a 10mbps connection.

If I disable this connection, I lose all internet connectivity. What exactly is going on? Is this a byproduct of UPNP? Is this normal?

Configuration:
Router: Netgear WNR854T with Gigabit Switch
All desktops are gigabit lan
Laptop is 11g

Last edited by jcesare; 05-30-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcesare View Post
I've installed SageTV Media Center on a trial basis on a spare desktop on my home network and got all the basics working. I configured Placeshifter and it automatically enabled the UPNP settings on my router. I installed placeshifter on my laptop and could only get it to work using the IP (it doesn't work using the ID). Yesterday I noticed that all my computers now have a new listing in the Network Connections folder of Windows XP:

Internet Connection
--- Internet Gateway

When I select the "Status" of "Internet Gateway" I see a constant stream of packets and a 10mbps connection.

If I disable this connection, I lose all internet connectivity. What exactly is going on? Is this a byproduct of UPNP? Is this normal?

Configuration:
Router: Netgear WNR854T with Gigabit Switch
All desktops are gigabit lan
Laptop is 11g
By product of enabling upnp on the router.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
By product of enabling upnp on the router.

Thanks.

What about only being able to connect Placeshifter by IP? It there something else I need to configure?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcesare View Post
What about only being able to connect Placeshifter by IP? It there something else I need to configure?
See this FAQ & check your firewall ports.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:32 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to hechacker1
I'd like to point out that UPnP is flaky on some routers. On my own WRT54GLv1.1 the UPnP doesn't always work. I've instead configured port forwarding and it always works.