SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Placeshifter works over LAN, but not over Internet

Hi,

I am not able to use Placeshifter over the Internet, I get only a few seconds of video, and then just a black screen, often followed by connection loss. Up to now I always thought that my uplink bandwidth must be the root of the problem (although I have cable 768/256, and other tools report >= 200 kbps consistently), I tried it from work as well as from a friends DSL connection, but without any success.

But a few days ago I installed ORB on one of my machines and set up the SageTV recording directory as a media folder. Then I connected from work, and what surprise, I was able to watch my SageTV recordings at 150 kbps (orb reported a consistent uplink speed of 195 kps) without stuttering or any other problems ... !

This would mean to me that my uplink bandwith should be absolutely sufficient for streaming, and that there is some other problem specific to Placeshifter ... I would *really* like to get this working, and now I'll definetly open a support request for this issue, but in the meantime maybe someone here has any ideas why the heck streaming with Placeshifter would not be working ?

Thanks,
Dirk
Old 06-03-2006, 01:34 PM

Have try manually specify the encoder parametes to low 100kbps maybe that will help
Old 06-03-2006, 04:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS
Have try manually specify the encoder parametes to low 100kbps maybe that will help
Hi SHS,

yeah I even turned it down to the lowest possible settings 50 kbps video / 32 kbps audio, but it didn't change anything ...

Dirk
Old 10-06-2006, 04:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Just an update:
The new v6.0 beta fixed this for me !!

Dirk