SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-06-2022, 11:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Recording Split up into tiny Pieces

Anybody have any idea what might be going on with my recordings? A few of them get split up into theses tiny pieces. I am wondering if it is a hard drive issue but when I do the same recording at the same time with channels dvr there is no such issue. I have attached some screen captures.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 11.38.33 PM.png (438.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 11.37.58 PM.png (260.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 11.38.52 PM.png (434.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-07-2022, 05:33 PM
SageTVaholic

When I've seen that in the past, it's usually a problem with the tuner, but I've also seen it when I rebooted the computer mid-recording. So yeah, I'd start with a tuner issue then move into hardware problems.
Old 11-11-2022, 09:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'll second the tuner. I see this happen with my HDPVR. Usually correlates with a skip in the recording as well.
Old 11-11-2022, 09:18 PM
SageTVaholic

If he is using Channelsdvr as a backend to SageTV then it would use the same tuner and share the stream so that would eliminate a tuner problem.
Old 11-11-2022, 09:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

But he said that the issue only occurs when he isn't recording from channels DVR....
Old 11-11-2022, 09:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker:WG View Post
But he said that the issue only occurs when he isn't recording from channels DVR....
Understood but he still might be using channelsdvr as a backend ...
Old 11-11-2022, 11:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Busy week so just getting to this.
I am in fact using channels dvr as source. It controls all my HDHomerun and serves everything to sagetv along with my TVE channels.

I saw a new recording that had the same problem on sagetv where part of it is split up into tiny parts. Like I said, I never see the problem with channels dvr.

I am starting to think the problem is the channels dvr installation however. I have seen the problem occur both with TVE signals as well as the HDHomerun signals that channels dvr serves to sagetv. It happens when I use an IP address that goes through the router 192.168.1.222, as well as when I keep it internal with 127.0.0.1.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boukmandutty View Post
Busy week so just getting to this.
I am in fact using channels dvr as source. It controls all my HDHomerun and serves everything to sagetv along with my TVE channels.

I saw a new recording that had the same problem on sagetv where part of it is split up into tiny parts. Like I said, I never see the problem with channels dvr.

I am starting to think the problem is the channels dvr installation however. I have seen the problem occur both with TVE signals as well as the HDHomerun signals that channels dvr serves to sagetv. It happens when I use an IP address that goes through the router 192.168.1.222, as well as when I keep it internal with 127.0.0.1.
Make sure the below is unchecked .... in Channels DVR . also make sure you are on the latest Prerelease of Channels DVR. I have no problem recording in SageTV using Channels as a backend... I have evidence over thousand Christmas Hall Mark movies LOL. If that does not work, I know it is a pain, but I would recreate my OPENDCT properties ... I use the IP of the Server ... not 127.0.0.1 ... sagetv.device.110742376.streaming_executable=/bin/ffmpeg -i http\://10.0.0.106\:8089/devices/ANY/channels/%c%/stream.mpg?format\=ts -c copy -f mpegts -

Uncheck This ....

Experimental TV Everywhere MPEG-TS Rewriter
Tests new mechanism to rewrite MPEG-TS streams for TV Everywhere.

Last edited by nyplayer; 11-12-2022 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-12-2022, 08:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boukmandutty View Post
I think you might be on to something originally thinking you may have a hardware problem. When a recording is Sage is interrupted for various reasons it will stop and attempt to re-tune, creating another new [enumerated] file. When you play the show in any client, Sage recognizes the segments as one show, so if the interruption is minimal the user may not even notice there was an issue.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I think you might be on to something originally thinking you may have a hardware problem. When a recording is Sage is interrupted for various reasons it will stop and attempt to re-tune, creating another new [enumerated] file. When you play the show in any client, Sage recognizes the segments as one show, so if the interruption is minimal the user may not even notice there was an issue.
I had this issue a week or so ago with a Comcast outage, where there was an intermittent cable signal (via an HDHomeRun). Went on for about 4 hours and was getting a football game split into something like 8 pieces.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

After restoring from a previous installation of ubuntu everything seems to be running ok once again. It seems like the problem was in fact the channels dvr installation and the consistency of the signal it was sending to sagetv.