SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-01-2022, 02:16 PM
Sage Icon

Recording Schedule - Why Spinning Circles?

When going down the list of shows in the Recording Schedule, my wife complains at times of numerous spinning circles when just hitting the down button to go to the next show in the list to check the padding on it. Also happens when trying to set the padding.

Do either of those activities involve the actual recordings which are on the NAS?

Does the HD300 <=> Sage PC communication have to go from Switch A to Switch B to the Router and back?

Thoughts/ideas of where I need to look/research?
Serious negative WAF

Setup overview is:
HD300 & Sage PC (win10 SSD) connected to Switch A in Living Room
Switch A is connected to Switch B in Wife's PC/Office room
Switch B is connected to Router, Modem, Wife's PC equip
Switch B is also connected to Switch C in my office space where I have my equip & NAS (unraid)
Old 10-01-2022, 02:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
When going down the list of shows in the Recording Schedule, my wife complains at times of numerous spinning circles when just hitting the down button to go to the next show in the list to check the padding on it. Also happens when trying to set the padding.

Do either of those activities involve the actual recordings which are on the NAS?

Does the HD300 <=> Sage PC communication have to go from Switch A to Switch B to the Router and back?

Thoughts/ideas of where I need to look/research?
Serious negative WAF

Setup overview is:
HD300 & Sage PC (win10 SSD) connected to Switch A in Living Room
Switch A is connected to Switch B in Wife's PC/Office room
Switch B is connected to Router, Modem, Wife's PC equip
Switch B is also connected to Switch C in my office space where I have my equip & NAS (unraid)
I have the same experience on SageServer Installed on my Windows machine but no problem on the ubuntu Install.

Edit
I just disable autotuning on my Win 10 machine and also turned off flow control on my NIC. This seems to have helped a lot.

Last edited by nyplayer; 10-01-2022 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:34 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated
Old 10-01-2022, 05:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
Switches maintain a table of MAC addresses for connected devices, with the corresponding port identified. So the first time a device communicates with the switch, the switch may need to forward the packet(s) to the router until the switch "learns" where the devices are located. So once switch A knows that the HD300 and the Sage PC are both connected to it, it should send future traffic directly to the correct port and not send it up to the router.

This table of MAC addresses and port numbers is saved in volatile memory in the switch; if the switch loses power, it will need to rebuild the table once the switch is powered back up.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 10-02-2022, 09:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
Switches maintain a table of MAC addresses for connected devices, with the corresponding port identified. So the first time a device communicates with the switch, the switch may need to forward the packet(s) to the router until the switch "learns" where the devices are located. So once switch A knows that the HD300 and the Sage PC are both connected to it, it should send future traffic directly to the correct port and not send it up to the router.

This table of MAC addresses and port numbers is saved in volatile memory in the switch; if the switch loses power, it will need to rebuild the table once the switch is powered back up.
Thanks. That is what I was thinking should happen.
Then researching the spinning Circles I should be able to eliminate anything beyond Switch A and just focus from HD300, Switch A, and the Win10 Sage Server. Unless for some reason (not sure why) that while navigating thru the Recording Schedule causes SageTV to reach out to the NAS. Or some other SageTV background stuff is going beyond Switch A.