SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-21-2020, 01:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Videos by Title vs Videos by Folder

Couldn't find anything on this - was wondering if someone couple explain the difference.

Under Videos by Folder, I see all the video import directories for movies, plus the one I have for imported TV shows - so that's pretty straight forward.

When I choose Videos by Title it's kind of bizarre. I just see the videos for imported TV shows, plus for some reason, I see all of my music, even though my music folder clearly isn't listed as a video import folder. I do not see any of the ripped Bluray movies listed.

What's more bizarre, each song in there shows that it is a video. For fun, if I try to play a song it thinks is a video, what it does is actually fires up one of my HD-PVRs and starts sending live video from it from whatever the channel that my Satellite receiver was last on.

I have temporarily removed my music import folder and will re-add it to see if that stops, but besides that weirdness, can some explain the point of the "Videos by Title"? I ask because I'm thinking of converting my BluRay rips to MKVs...
Server: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Intel i5, 8 GB, Samsung EVO 850 500 GB for OS, WD Black 4 TB + WD Black 1 TB for Recordings, 36TB Synology 1019+ for DVD/Bluray Rips, Music, Home Movies, etc., SageTV Server 64 Bit Ver 9.2.6.976, HDPVR x 2, Bell TV 6131 Receiver x 2, USB-UIRT with 56 KHz Receiver

Clients: PC Client x 2, HD-300 x 2 (1 Using Netgear MoCA Coax Bridges), SageTV Miniclient on NVidia Shield x 3
Old 09-01-2020, 08:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Guess I’ll stick to just using Videos by Folder. Haven’t been able to figure out the point of Videos by Title, and no one had any thoughts...
Server: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Intel i5, 8 GB, Samsung EVO 850 500 GB for OS, WD Black 4 TB + WD Black 1 TB for Recordings, 36TB Synology 1019+ for DVD/Bluray Rips, Music, Home Movies, etc., SageTV Server 64 Bit Ver 9.2.6.976, HDPVR x 2, Bell TV 6131 Receiver x 2, USB-UIRT with 56 KHz Receiver

Clients: PC Client x 2, HD-300 x 2 (1 Using Netgear MoCA Coax Bridges), SageTV Miniclient on NVidia Shield x 3
Old 09-01-2020, 10:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

I don't use Videos by Title, but when I try it, it just lists every video from every import folder, movies and TV show episodes, alphabetically. But I don't have any music folders anywhere near my video import directories, but I can test it and see.

What file extensions are your music files using?

I don't think I'll be able to tell you anything you don't already know, but I'll let you know what I find.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
Guess I’ll stick to just using Videos by Folder. Haven’t been able to figure out the point of Videos by Title, and no one had any thoughts...
Ever try using the Gemstone UI? That's what I have always used and it doesn't appear to have this weirdness and it gives you more customization options and a prettier UI.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:05 AM
Sage Icon

IIRC, the videos by title screen only showed videos that are contained in a single file (such as .mpg, .mp4, .avi). It did not include videos that are stored as groups of files in their own folders like ripped DVDs and Blu-ray’s. You had to go to the separate dvd or BD screens for those.

I always just used the view by folder screen, since I didn’t want to go to different screens for different types of content.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 09-02-2020, 10:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

That's also been my experience. I've never ripped Blue-Ray's, but for DVD's if Sage sees a video_ts folder in an import directory, the underlying files will be treated as a DVD and will only be seen under the DVD/BD menu, even if the file is an mp4, for example.
This thread may have a little more insight if you're interested:
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66105

The other menu items, Titles, Folders, and Category, are for single file videos, like Tiki said. I don't use Titles, as I've well over a thousand videos(not DVD's) and it just dumps everything out, depending on your sort method.

I played around putting music files in video import directories, moving around, but nothing showed up under video titles. All my music files are mp3. What you're seeing is no doubt an example of some of the wonky behavior I've experienced within the Videos menu.

I think I'll take Wayner's advice and try out Gemstone.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjim1 View Post
I don't use Videos by Title, but when I try it, it just lists every video from every import folder, movies and TV show episodes, alphabetically. But I don't have any music folders anywhere near my video import directories, but I can test it and see.

What file extensions are your music files using?

I don't think I'll be able to tell you anything you don't already know, but I'll let you know what I find.

I tried re-adding my music import folder, and the same thing has happened again in the Folder view - it's showing my music and saying the songs are videos for some bizarre reason when I have it set to combined view. When I select one of the songs, it fires up one of my HDPVRs and plays whatever channel the sat receiver was last on. When I switch it from Combined view to Seperate, I just see my 4 video import directories... I don't understand why Sage is even trying to show my music in a video folder... That folder that has the music is not checked off video imports...

The music files are M4A files...

Last edited by SteveW; 09-05-2020 at 02:57 PM.