SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-30-2019, 01:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

The SD software/driver won't present the SageTV option when using SageTV x64 only the x86 version. I think someone has installed both versions just to get the SD software/driver to show the SageTV option.

I know Windows firewall has been brought up (along with A/V) but I don't recall if the firewall has been turned off (at least while troubleshooting the issue).

I have both an OTA HDHR and HDHR Prime, but I don't use either with SageTV at present. And the OTA HDHR is an older one that I haven't used in a very long time.

Have you thought of downgrading the firmware on an HDHR?

I presume you are using static ip addresses, at least for the SageTV server.

Have you double checked that the "1903" feature update didn't re-apply itself?

It is possible that whatever fixes the issue with the tuners will also fix the issue with the clients not connecting. They could also be different issues that both happened at nearly the same time.

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Yes, that is correct. I am Over the Air antenna only.

I have Java v8 Update 221 (build 1.8.0.221-b11)

Yes, I have the latest HDHR firmware installed. That is why I questioned SiliconDust if their removing the SageTV option from the "BDA Compatibility Mode" List with this update is causing my issue. I am still waiting for a response... it has only been a week <grrrr>.

I am talking about SageTV x64. I did install both SageTV versions originally (but cannot locate a SageTV.exe 32bit version). In any event, nothing was changed in that respect to create this issue. In fact, I am convinced the only change was the HDHR firmware upgrade but that is only a (not very good) guess. (And would not account for the failure of the Client to connect.)

FWIW, the Schedules Direct is keeping the EPG up-to-date... that last update was at 6:00am this morning. In fact, the scheduled programs are attempting to record but eventually fail because of "No Signal."

I, also, can play all of the recorded videos (on the Server only, of course).
The "SageTV" option will not show up for the 64-bit version since SiliconDust is looking for a specific 32-bit registry key in order to locate the .exe. Some have reported that other modes are fine. You could try installing the 32-bit version, set up the HDHR, then uninstall it.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
The SD software/driver won't present the SageTV option when using SageTV x64 only the x86 version. I think someone has installed both versions just to get the SD software/driver to show the SageTV option.
Yes, that is true. That is why I had originally installed the 32 bit version. And I did later remove it.

Quote:
I know Windows firewall has been brought up (along with A/V) but I don't recall if the firewall has been turned off (at least while troubleshooting the issue).
That was one of the first things I tried.

Quote:
I have both an OTA HDHR and HDHR Prime, but I don't use either with SageTV at present. And the OTA HDHR is an older one that I haven't used in a very long time.

Have you thought of downgrading the firmware on an HDHR?
Yes, that is one of the questions -- how do I do that -- I was gonna ask SilicoDust… when/if they get back to me.

Quote:
I presume you are using static ip addresses, at least for the SageTV server.
Yes

Quote:
Have you double checked that the "1903" feature update didn't re-apply itself?
I first ran into the problem just after I was "upgraded" to the 1903 version. So I restored the computer back to the state it was in two days prior to the upgrade. There was no change in the situation with SageTV. I waited a week -- while doing much other troubleshooting -- before deciding that v1903 was not involved and reinstalled it.

Quote:
It is possible that whatever fixes the issue with the tuners will also fix the issue with the clients not connecting. They could also be different issues that both happened at nearly the same time.
I am hoping.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
The "SageTV" option will not show up for the 64-bit version since SiliconDust is looking for a specific 32-bit registry key in order to locate the .exe. Some have reported that other modes are fine. You could try installing the 32-bit version, set up the HDHR, then uninstall it.
Hmmmm. I had the 32-bit version installed at the same time as x64 in order to get the SD EPG.. This was an install on a brand new machine. I, subsequently, uninstalled the 32-bit as suggested in another thread.

My next step, probably tomorrow, will be to try to remove all traces of SageTV from the machine and start over. (I expected my shipment of Cat 7 cables this week but have been informed they won't be here until next Monday so that will probably delay things a little.)

As far as updating HDHR that may be a little complicated since it is installed on five machines on this network -- making a change on one machine, makes that same change on all of them. There is, also, the issue of so many things dependent on those tuners -- PLEX & HDHomeRun SERVIO, for instance.

In the meantime, I am doing well with any of Emby, Tablo, PlayOn or PLEX. However, I sure do miss SageTV and want it back
Old 07-31-2019, 07:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

With your setup, I wouldn't downgrade any of the HDHR devices, either.

Are any of the tuners dedicated to Sage?
I don't think tuner pooling is supported natively within Sage. Obviously, you have had everything working together in the past so this maybe a moot point.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Are any of the tuners dedicated to Sage?
Hmmm. Interesting question. I am unsure how I would do that. The tuners are connected to the LAN (I believe) and are only available to STV through that network connection. Since once the tuner is connected to the network, it is also connected to all other devices. How would I select/deselect each device? Some sort of "white list"?
Old 07-31-2019, 08:45 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
There is, also, the issue of so many things dependent on those tuners -- PLEX & HDHomeRun SERVIO, for instance.

In the meantime, I am doing well with any of Emby, Tablo, PlayOn or PLEX. However, I sure do miss SageTV and want it back
Do any of the above programs access the HDHR tuners? If so, it's possible that one of them is locking the tuner, which prevents access by Sage.

But that wouldn't explain why the HD300 can't access the Sage server.
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFred View Post
Do any of the above programs access the HDHR tuners? If so, it's possible that one of them is locking the tuner, which prevents access by Sage.
Except for PlayOn and Tablo, they all do. Although, none are opened at the same time as attempting to use STV... no two at the same time, actually.

Another good suggestion. I will definitely ponder this further.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

Another way to put it might be, what tuners (or maybe all?) is Sage configured to use? And what tuners are the other programs configured to use?

From your previous response, I am suspecting the tuners are available on the network on a first come, first serve basis.

I agree with JustFred about the HD300, but I am ignoring that part of the issue for now and working on the tuners so you can get recordings made.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Another way to put it might be, what tuners (or maybe all?) is Sage configured to use? And what tuners are the other programs configured to use?

From your previous response, I am suspecting the tuners are available on the network on a first come, first serve basis.
Yes, I have the Tuners configured with "Merit Priority" in "Sage.Properties" and "Encoder_merit" so that there would be no conflict.

I don't know that I have that ability in the other programs... another example of how far ahead of its time STV is/was.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:08 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Yes, I have the Tuners configured with "Merit Priority" in "Sage.Properties" and "Encoder_merit" so that there would be no conflict.

I don't know that I have that ability in the other programs... another example of how far ahead of its time STV is/was.
Setting Sage's 'Merit' has nothing to do with managing tuner conflict within Sage, nor between Sage and other programs that might also want to use the same tuners.

Really, the only way to insure that multiple programs don't attempt to access any particular tuner at the same time is to dedicate certain tuners to one program or another. By "dedicate", I mean only configure a given tuner in ONE program at a time. Or make absolutely sure that only one program is running at any time. There is NO communication between programs that makes them share the tuners without conflict. Nothing magic going on.
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFred View Post
Setting Sage's 'Merit' has nothing to do with managing tuner conflict within Sage, nor between Sage and other programs that might also want to use the same tuners.

Really, the only way to insure that multiple programs don't attempt to access any particular tuner at the same time is to dedicate certain tuners to one program or another. By "dedicate", I mean only configure a given tuner in ONE program at a time. Or make absolutely sure that only one program is running at any time. There is NO communication between programs that makes them share the tuners without conflict. Nothing magic going on.
Well, that's easy then. As I said earlier, there is never a time when two different applications, that access the HDHR tuners, are running at the same time. The only similar situation would be if STV is recording more than one program at the same time but that's hardly the situation now.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

UPDATE:

Okay. I uninstalled SageTV (+CLient & Placeshifter). I, then deleted all reference to SageTV -- folders, for instance. I, then, installed SageTV v9.2.1. I did not install the x86 version or the Client or the Placeshifter apps. It recognized Schedules Direct (it did make me Login) and downloaded the 14 day EPG.

Only a partial victory, however. The good news is the HD300 connected to the Server and is working as expected.

The bad news: I still cannot get a signal from the HDHR tuners... either with the Server or the Client (obviously?). (Again, I believe it is the SiliconDust update that did it.) During Setup, STV recognizes the tuners and lets me install each of them.

Now, to add to my problems, I get to restore all the modifications I made over the past 10 years. I am having difficulty recalling the "How-tos" -- for instance, how do I install Gemstone?
Old 08-01-2019, 12:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
What software are you using in order for SageTV to see the tuners? SageDTC or OpenDTC?
Interesting. I had this suggestion on the Silicondust Forum:

Quote:
Any reason why you are not using OPENDCT network tuner to setup the tuners in Sage ? It allows pooling of the tuners so you can Share them with other Apps. It works with Primes , Connects ,Quatro and Scribe tuners.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62774
Is this an option for OTA use?
Old 08-01-2019, 01:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Interesting. I had this suggestion on the Silicondust Forum:

Is this an option for OTA use?
Yes OpenDCT works with the Connects and Quatro's and Scribe. Where does your server reside ? Operating system ?
Old 08-01-2019, 02:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Yes OpenDCT works with the Connects and Quatro's and Scribe. Where does your server reside ? Operating system ?
Sometimes I am not very efficient with my posts. <chuckle> Where do I get it and how do I install it?
Old 08-02-2019, 04:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

Things change over time, but the OTA devices were able to be configured in Sage without the need for xxxDCT in the middle. These were needed for the cablecard tuners but not for OTA. Yes, for different reasons some HDHR OTA devices can be run through OpenDCT (not so sure about SageDCT)

I went through a test install of SageTV x64 and configured it use the old SD HDHR-US (Dual) that I have. Everything looks good except it will not find any stations when I do a channel scan in Sage. The SD setup does find channels within its scan but the "BDA" drop down is set to default.
I seem to remember the SD channel scan would create a .frq file and place it in the SageTV folder for Sage to use during its channel scan. I suspect that is lost when unable to choose SageTV in the "BDA" drop down list. I also can't find where the HDHR setup created the .frq files (if it even created them at all).

If you choose to there is a huge thread in the Hardware section about OpenDCT (SageDCT is available but I don't think it has been updated for a very long time)

Last edited by UgaData; 08-02-2019 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Now, to add to my problems, I get to restore all the modifications I made over the past 10 years. I am having difficulty recalling the "How-tos" -- for instance, how do I install Gemstone?
So I am only left with this question then.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
If you choose to there is a huge thread in the Hardware section about OpenDCT (SageDCT is available but I don't think it has been updated for a very long time)
I finally heard from SiliconDust:

Quote:
If you want to try it the regular way [non-OpenDTC], please quit out of SageTV, enable the sending of diagnostic data in HDHomeRun Setup, run a channel scan, then try to watch something in SageTV. Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and we'll check the logs.
I did that a few minutes ago and will wait for their thoughts before pursuing OpenDTC.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Gemstone is a "plug-in". I would suggest not adding to the "complexity",yet, and wait until the tuner issues are resolved before installing Gemstone.

It is possible that using OpenDCT with all SiliconDust devices will be the new norm going forward. I am probably just being an old codger still trying to do things the way I always have in the past and grumbling about how things have changed and it used to be so simple before this new-fangled way of doing things came along, looking out the window and yelling "HEY!, You kids, get off my lawn!"

The only constant in the Universe is change