SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Client tuner access

I currently have a Sage server with 2 tuners in my living room and a client + network encoder with 1 tuner in my bedroom. I was wondering how the client uses the tuners. Is there anyway to make the client use the local tuner for LiveTV watching rather than use a tuner from the server and stream across the network? I ask because I'm getting ready to go wireless on all my machines and don't see any point in wasting wireless bandwidth when there's a perfectly good idle tuner in the client system.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 09-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Sage Icon

Can't currently do that, sorry. The clients can only use the tuners available to the server (i.e. local to the server + network encoders).

Jason
Old 09-16-2004, 12:13 PM
Administrator

And, you would need to use SageTVRecorder on the client in order to have SageTV (server) make use of the client's tuner as a networked encoder.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm sorry, maybe I wasn't completely clear in my post. I have the tuner in my client machine already setup as a network encoder. So I know the client would use that tuner if the other two were already in-use. But I wanted to know if I could force the client to use that tuner all the time (since it's local to the client) for LiveTV when it isn't already in-use for a recording.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Administrator

You're right... I missed the "client + network encoder" phrase. Sorry.

Anyway, I believe the network encoder recording still has to go to the server & then gets streamed back to the client... which is essentially what Jason was getting at, I think. Who knows: maybe I'm misreading everone's posts today. the client is not standalone capable.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4
...the client is not standalone capable.

- Andy

Any chance it will be? I mean... if you have a network encoder with a client on the same machine... wouldn't it make sense for the client to use the tuner on the local machine in order to save on bandwidth? I would think this would be a fairly popular request. I guess maybe not too many people use network encoders? Anyway, thanks.

- Josh
Old 09-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Sage Icon

Submit it as a bug/request to the support email address and pray.

Jason