SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Recommended procedure to swap tuners From: Avermedia Duet PCi-E To: HDHR Quatro

Later this year I want to upgrade my Sage server. To lay the groundwork I want to change my tuner now. Currently I have an AVerMedia Duet PCI-E tuner inside a tower box.

I've ordered a HD HOMERUN Quatro which is on the way. My thinking is that if I go to an external tuner now it will make it easier to downsize to a small form factor server later.

I only use antenna for my signals, no cablecard.

My server is Sage 9.1.8 on Win 7 Enterprise. I run Sage as a minimized application not a service. I also run Comskip and Plex Server, (Comskip via Sage not Plex or MCEBUDDY)

I don't need 6 tuners, the Quatro will be fine. Should I remove the PCI-E tuner card and drivers first, install HDHR software and scan with their software? Finally wake Sage up remove the old 2 tuners and add the 4 new ones?

Is there any complications with Schedules Direct when switching tuner types or going from 2 to 4 tuners? Does Sage need to be running or exited when installing the HDHR software?

I've read a lot of messages on these forms to learn but a lot of the info is very dated.

Any tips to make it a smooth process before I begin would be appreciated. I've always had internal tuners, this will be my first experience with an HDHR.

Last edited by snipeman; 03-23-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:17 PM
SageTVaholic

If I were you I would first install at least one of the Quatro tuners and make sure it looks good. Once that is working for a few days and everything looks good you could start by removing/deleting the AverMedia tuners. No point in removing the PCI-E card unless you want to use it somewhere else.

You might have to change the tuner merit to ensure that the Quatro is used.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the suggestion, it is a good idea. I would have to find a 2nd antenna to hook up to make that work as my only antenna is connected to the Avermedia.

Do you know if Sage needs to be running or closed to install the HDHOMERUN software?
Old 03-24-2018, 05:02 PM
SageTVaholic

I am not sure but I am pretty sure that you will have to restart Sage in order for it to find the new tuners. So you may as well shut it down for a minute while you do the install.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:16 PM
SageTVaholic

And you shouldn't need a second antenna - a splitter should do the job and you can feed both the Avermedia and the HDHR. But if your signal levels are low you may need an amplified splitter or distribution amplifier. I use something like this to feed multiple tuners and TVs:
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Ampli...tion+amplifier