SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

OpenDCT on Docker not finding HDHR

Hi all,
I installed the CraziFuzzy OPENDCT docker on an unraid machine, but it does not seem to be getting out to the HDHR devices. I see in the log file where ODCT is sending discovery packets out to 0.0.0.0. Whereas on my odct on my windows machine it is broadcasting to 192.168.1.255. Also there is an error for port 64998 (?). Can I manually override these? The Unraid box IP is 192.168.1.180, and I can see and communicate with all other dockers (incl sagetv) without issues. ODCT Docker is set to HOST mode. There's a Win7 SageTV at .190 that has no issues seeing the HDHR's. So I don't think it's a router issue. Logs attached. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: txt opendct.properties.txt (4.3 KB, 218 views)
File Type: txt OpenDCT_first_Log.txt.txt (28.8 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by BobbyDing; 01-29-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

One possible issue was I was using Community Applications for the install which was installing it to the apps directory (original install from Oct). I deleted that and removed and re installed odct docker so it's now installing into appdata, but it's still failing the same. I'm thinking it has something to do with the lines:

"[WrapperSimpleAppMain] ERROR HDHomeRunDiscovery - Unable to use port 64998, using any port available."

and/or

HDHomeRunDiscovery - Broadcasting HDHomeRun discovery packet to /0.0.0.0:65001... (startup)

The windows machine on the same network it not getting these errors. I have all other containers and also the windows install shut down, but 64998 still appears to be blocked. Is there any way to tell if the discovery packets are getting out and or responded too?

Thanks.

Latest logs attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt opendct.log.txt (5.6 KB, 219 views)
File Type: txt opendct.properties.txt (4.2 KB, 191 views)
File Type: txt wrapper.log.txt (8.1 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by BobbyDing; 01-29-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:16 PM
SageTVaholic

I did push out a new image today. I honestly have never posted it to CA, because I never got around to figuring out how that's done. I just add
Code:
https://github.com/crazifuzzy/opendct-docker
into unraid's docker page.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-29-2017, 10:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi Fuzzy. Thanks for the reply. The unraid CA app keeps your old install settings in case you want to re install (keeps your specific settings). Thus it still had the settings from when I tried installing this docker image back in October. So earlier today it installed your latest image to the apps directory instead of appdata. I got that corrected though. It seems like the odct docker is failing to see and use the network for hdhr discovery and is defaulting to 0.0.0.0 instead of 192.168.1.255. I have no idea what might cause this. It seems odd because odct is seeing eth0 as 192.168.1.180 in the logs, which is the IP of the unraid box on the network.

Bobby

Last edited by BobbyDing; 01-29-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:59 AM
SageTVaholic

I will try to check my logs later today and see what mine is showing. one of the changes in 0.5.24 was in dealing with the broadcast address, but I do know that mine IS working with that version, so I'll try to see what is different between my logs and yours.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I will try to check my logs later today and see what mine is showing. one of the changes in 0.5.24 was in dealing with the broadcast address, but I do know that mine IS working with that version, so I'll try to see what is different between my logs and yours.
Thanks Fuzzy.

I deleted odct again tonight and re installed. This time I'm not getting the port 64998 failure anymore (not sure what changed) but it is still using 0.0.0.0 for the discovery packets and not seeing any HDHR devices. I looked through the documentation and don't see a way to force discovery to a particular IP. New logs attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt opendct.log.txt (4.7 KB, 192 views)
File Type: txt opendct.properties.txt (4.2 KB, 192 views)
File Type: txt wrapper.log.txt (6.7 KB, 182 views)
Old 01-30-2017, 09:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Okay, so I've checked in my log, and it is broadcasting to two different addresses (192.168.99.255:65001, and 0.0.0.0:65001), and they are responding.

Something appears to be different in your network config.

Your openDCT is seeing a single network interfaces: eth0 @ 192.168.1.180.
My openDCT is seeing two network interfaces: docker0 @ 172.17.0.1 and br0 @ 192.168.99.9.

This difference is what is causing the problem. I am not entirely sure why you are seeing the eth0 instead of br0 for your local lan. What version of unRAID are you running on, and what is the Network Type setting in the openDCT container settings?

Old 01-30-2017, 10:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah in a previous log I remember seeing an Docker IP included in the log and it's not there now. I think you are right about there being something wrong with this unraid network. Odd that all other containers work fine (plex/emby/plexpy/sickrage, and a win 7 VM all work normally (all shut down during this install). Under settings/network settings, Enable bonding/bridging/vlans are set to NO (is that correct?) and the ip is set to 192.168.1.180. The odct container is set for HOST. Not sure where else to look.

Unraid V 6.2.1

Last edited by BobbyDing; 01-30-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:58 PM
SageTVaholic

This isn't a permanent solution, but if you have the IP addresses of all your HDHomeRuns, you can specify them in on the property hdhr.static_addresses_csv= separated by commas.

e.g.
Code:
hdhr.static_addresses_csv=192.168.1.96,192.168.1.102
You can also put in there the assumed broadcast address and that should work just as well.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 01-30-2017, 11:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thank You. I've started removing unused containers and VM's. Found some leftover folders from openvpn that was removed months ago. I think some house cleaning is in order before continuing, including a parity check.

I will try your suggestions if the cleanup doesn't help. I always try to use the stock settings. Might there be something in the network settings I need to change (bonding/bridging/vlans)? All are presently disabled.

Thanks,

Bobby
Old 01-30-2017, 11:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

By the way, how is this container to be installed? Do you have to stop it after running for 30 seconds and restart it again before starting sage? Like the Win version? Or is that automated?

Thanks,

Bobby
Old 01-30-2017, 11:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
This isn't a permanent solution, but if you have the IP addresses of all your HDHomeRuns, you can specify them in on the property hdhr.static_addresses_csv= separated by commas.

e.g.
Code:
hdhr.static_addresses_csv=192.168.1.96,192.168.1.102
You can also put in there the assumed broadcast address and that should work just as well.
The line is getting removed each time I start the container. I shut down the container. Add the line to the rest of the hdhr. lines in the properties file. Then add the line to the backup properties. Restart the container, and that line is removed?

Last edited by BobbyDing; 01-31-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

So still no joy. Here's the logs again. Still showing the same. Could this be my router blocking it for some reason?
Attached Files
File Type: zip opendct.zip (6.2 KB, 186 views)
Old 01-31-2017, 05:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDing View Post
The line is getting removed each time I start the container. I shut down the container. Add the line to the rest of the hdhr. lines in the properties file. Then add the line to the backup properties. Restart the container, and that line is removed?
The line shouldn't be getting removed unless OpenDCT didn't actually stop running. This is really odd. It all but implies that you have two instances of the OpenDCT Docker installed if the container really did stop.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Last edited by EnterNoEscape; 01-31-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
The line shouldn't be getting removed unless OpenDCT didn't actually stop running. This is really odd. It all but implies that you have two instances of the OpenDCT Docker installed if the container really did stop.
Thank you for the response. So I just did the following exactly:

shut down all other docker containers/VM's.
stopped and restarted the array.
completely removed the odct docker container and assc. folders/files.
installed odct docker container (version.config=4, version.program=0.5.24.)
stopped the container.
stopped and restarted the array (to be sure odct is stopped).
added line hdhr.static_addresses_csv=192.168.1.255
checked that the new line was still in opendct.properties (it was).
started odct container.
checked properties file and the new line is gone again.

I'm completely baffled. This must be peculiar to my machine as nobody else is having this issue.

update...
So maybe this will help. I just did the following:

stopped the container.
checked the time on the opendct.properties file (4:44 pm).
started the container.
checked the time on the opendct.properties file (4:47 pm).
stopped the container.
also I noticed the last modified time on the transcode folder changed to 4:47 pm.
so I deleted the profile_example from the transcode folder and restarted the container.
encoder_profile returned to the transcode folder.
transcode folder and opendct.properties files times changed to 5:00 pm.

I wasn't sure if this was proper behavior. It seems like it is re installing itself on startup of the container, and not updating the properties file on stopping. Could it be possible that something in my unraid is restoring the files whenever the odct container starts?

Last edited by BobbyDing; 01-31-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDing View Post
Thank you for the response. So I just did the following exactly:

shut down all other docker containers/VM's.
completely removed the odct docker container and assc. folders/files.
installed odct docker container (version.config=4, version.program=0.5.24.)
stopped the container.
stopped and restarted the array (to be sure odct is stopped).
added line hdhr.static_addresses_csv=192.168.1.255
checked that the new line was still in opendct.properties (it was).
started odct container.
checked properties file and the new line is gone again.

I'm completely baffled. This must be peculiar to my machine as nobody else is having this issue.

update...
So maybe this will help. I just did the following:

stopped the container.
started the container.
stopped the container.
also I noticed the last modified time on the transcode folder changed to 4:47 pm.
so I deleted the profile_example from the transcode folder and restarted the container.
encoder_profile returned to the transcode folder.
transcode folder and opendct.properties files times changed to 5:00 pm.

I wasn't sure if this was proper behavior. It seems like it is re installing itself on startup of the container, and not updating the properties file on stopping. Could it be possible that something in my unraid is restoring the files whenever the odct container starts?
I think you're right. The file is getting replaced by a reinstall. Also since it's using the packaging system and each time I think somehow that makes it think it's ok to overwrite the opendct.properties file. I'm sure this can be fixed.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I think you're right. The file is getting replaced by a reinstall. Also since it's using the packaging system and each time I think somehow that makes it think it's ok to overwrite the opendct.properties file. I'm sure this can be fixed.
I think I had just found the same issue. Really, opendct.properties should NOT be included in the .deb package. At best, you can include an opendct.properties.default in the package, and then copy it to opendct.properties if the properties file doesn't exist on launch.

This only because an issue in the last few docker images that auto-update the version by simply installing the latest.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I think I had just found the same issue. Really, opendct.properties should NOT be included in the .deb package. At best, you can include an opendct.properties.default in the package, and then copy it to opendct.properties if the properties file doesn't exist on launch.

This only because an issue in the last few docker images that auto-update the version by simply installing the latest.
opendct.properties is included because some people want to change the settings before they actually start using OpenDCT. I personally don't care, but when this project started it was a strong preference (of a key developer) to be able to control what capture devices are detected and end up creating full entries in the file because if you have a lot of them, it can get hard to work with all those extra entries.

Obviously in a Docker situation, this doesn't make a lot of sense because you can't edit the file ahead of time. It is marked as a configuration file which is why you see the prompt in the log about overwriting it. It also shouldn't disappear if you were to uninstall OpenDCT for the same reason.

Point taken though. I'll see about changing that in future versions.

Edit: I also wanted to mention that it the default is to not replace the file, so I still don't know why it would make that kind of decision for you. As soon as the options appear, the installation dies and it's unclear what happened.

Last edited by EnterNoEscape; 01-31-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:29 PM
SageTVaholic

I think it was failing to install because it was asking whether to overwrite the properties file, so I think I had put the wrong force option on there.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:28 PM
SageTVaholic

I've got this docker loaded so I can try to get my HDHR to record in h.264 instead of mpeg 2 and I'm not sure where to start with the docker.

I set it as a host and the /config dir is in /appdata/openDCT

After getting the docker running I don't see any files in the appdata dir.

What am I missing? A lot I'm guessing
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.