SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-11-2016, 09:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Set Recording Padding

Having had to un-install/reinstall/troubleshoot STV to solve a tuning issue, and not having put Gemstone back on, yet, how does one set the the padding for recordings?

IF it's mentioned somewhere PLEEEASE just send me there, I've spent the last 45 minutes or so looking and I can NOT find it.
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
2 HD-100 Placeshifters - not connected.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:02 AM
SageTVaholic

It's in the recording options for every Favorite or manual recording.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
It's in the recording options for every Favorite or manual recording.
Sorry, I can not find any options for either. TV/Schedule Recordings/Create Timed Recording/ and there aren't any options.
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
Old 07-11-2016, 11:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

It is an option as you setup a recording. There are no global default settings for padding. There is possibly a plug-in for global padding, not sure.

Padding may be under advanced or additional setting while you are setting up the recording. I don't make a lot of specific recordings mostly I create a favorite and let Sage determine when to record it. I know padding is a part of creating a favorite.

Try going into the EPG, choose a show in the future, and setup a scheduled recording. You should see an options for Start/Stop time (may need to choose advanced or additional settings). I always start at least a minute early and stop a minute later. Keep in mind, I am not at home as I type this and may not have things exact, but the padding is there.

The only constant in the Universe is change.

Last edited by UgaData; 07-11-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBraverman View Post
Sorry, I can not find any options for either. TV/Schedule Recordings/Create Timed Recording/ and there aren't any options.
You probably don't have that option for timed recordings; if you want padding there you just adjust the stop time.

Padding is in the favorite or recording options of a favorite or manual. ("Manual" meaning e.g. something you clicked on in the EPG and selected Record.) The options are "Start Time" and "End Time" where you can set things like 1 minute earlier and 1 minute later, (or if a manual adjust the actual times).

There's also somewhere you can set a "default" padding for favorites, but that will only affect favorites created after you set the default.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
It is an option as you setup a recording. There are no global default settings for padding. There is possibly a plug-in for global padding, not sure.

Padding may be under advanced or additional setting while you are setting up the recording. I don't make a lot of specific recordings mostly I create a favorite and let Sage determine when to record it. I know padding is a part of creating a favorite.

Try going into the EPG, choose a show in the future, and setup a scheduled recording. You should see an options for Start/Stop time (may need to choose advanced or additional settings). I always start at least a minute early and stop a minute later. Keep in mind, I am not at home as I type this and may not have things exact, but the padding is there.
In gemstone there is a global setting for padding before & after and how long before the recording to wake the computer, but I'm probably preacing to the quire (anyone remember them)here., but until I get this tuning problem sussed, I'm not going to install it, this is why I'm lost.
I went into the guide (SDirect Plugin FWIW), but in options, there is nothjng but info on the show.
Thanks for taking the time to profer a reply.

I'm using whatever skin is the default.
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
Old 07-11-2016, 11:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
You probably don't have that option for timed recordings; if you want padding there you just adjust the stop time.

Padding is in the favorite or recording options of a favorite or manual. ("Manual" meaning e.g. something you clicked on in the EPG and selected Record.) The options are "Start Time" and "End Time" where you can set things like 1 minute earlier and 1 minute later, (or if a manual adjust the actual times).

There's also somewhere you can set a "default" padding for favorites, but that will only affect favorites created after you set the default.
I know I'm making everyone crazy, but in the guide, I do not have those options, all I have is "Record this show" or "Add this show as a favorite".

Remember I'm using the stock UI, with nothing added.
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
Old 07-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Default settings are available via
- Setup
- Detailed Setup
- Customize
- Default Favorite Settings / Default Manual Recording settings
in SageTV 9.

In SageTV 7 you have to enable the hidden features ( head to the “System Information” section under “Setup”. Then enter “5309” on the remote to unlock the hidden features. If you see a little dot in the top left corner you are all set.)
Old 07-11-2016, 11:52 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I know I'm making everyone crazy, but in the guide, I do not have those options, all I have is "Record this show" or "Add this show as a favorite".

Remember I'm using the stock UI, with nothing added.
You have to set the recording first then go into say the upcoming recordings schedule and open the show there to adjust, (or in manage favorites).
Old 07-11-2016, 12:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wubdich View Post
- Setup
- Detailed Setup
- Customize
in SageTV 9.
As I don't understand favorites - completely, now that I've padded both, does this mean EPG selected recordings will be padded?
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
Old 07-11-2016, 12:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
You have to set the recording first then go into say the upcoming recordings schedule and open the show there to adjust, (or in manage favorites).
I thjnk Wubdich answered it.

Thank you VERY much for taking the time to reply!
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
Old 07-11-2016, 01:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

This plugin still works if you want to add a default padding to all manual recordings: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...?do=file&id=92
Old 07-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
As I don't understand favorites
The pre-v9 installer came with a PDF manual; not sure if the v9 installer includes it. If not, then you can download it from one of the links in my signature. the manual says it is for v7, but most of it will still apply.

In it, I suggest reading through at least chapter 2, particularly the Quick Start Guide to see what Manual Recordings and Favorites are in relation to each other, how to create them, and I think it has links to how to modify their options. If not, you can search the PDF file for "padding" and other things you would like to read more info about.

The default Favorite and Manual Recording options that wubdich mentioned are not in the manual because they were hidden features in v7, but should be on by default now in v9.

You do not need the default padding plugin that mrcandu mentioned.

Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Once you set it to record (just hit record again) and you'll see "Recording Options". And in the Favorite setting it's right there when you set up the Favoriete.

Quote:
As I don't understand favorites - completely, now that I've padded both, does this mean EPG selected recordings will be padded?
No, only what you put the padding on. Stock STV has no default padding option.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Sure it does. You can find it at :

Quote:
Originally Posted by wubdich View Post
- Setup
- Detailed Setup
- Customize
in SageTV 9.

In SageTV 7 you have to enable the hidden features ( head to the “System Information” section under “Setup”. Then enter “5309” on the remote to unlock the hidden features. If you see a little dot in the top left corner you are all set.)
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Woops, forgot that got added. I use manual recordings so infrequently I've never bothered to follow that.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
The pre-v9 installer came with a PDF manual; not sure if the v9 installer includes it. If not, then you can download it from one of the links in my signature. the manual says it is for v7, but most of it will still apply.
I have been sitting in my chair for the last 3 days having blown my back out. So other than vhecking on things I've not really done anything on it. I saw the pdf, but I haven't stuck a reader on the HTPC computer, which I didn't realize until I tried to load it this morning after clicking on help.

Quote:
In it, I suggest reading through at least chapter 2, particularly the Quick Start Guide to see what Manual Recordings and Favorites are in relation to each other, how to create them, and I think it has links to how to modify their options. If not, you can search the PDF file for "padding" and other things you would like to read more info about.
As soon as I'm better, especially if my tuning continues to work, I'll have it handy. I'm not fond of asking questions, whose answers are already available - even though it doesn't appear so.

Quote:
The default Favorite and Manual Recording options that wubdich mentioned are not in the manual because they were hidden features in v7, but should be on by default now in v9.
They don't seem to be. Hallmark Channel which is notorious for starting a new show, while still showing credits of the previous, I've missed the first minute or two of 2 recordings. We'll see in about an hour.

Quote:
You do not need the default padding plugin that mrcandu mentioned.

Andy
I'm hoping to put Gemstone back on later this week, so I'll be ok.
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
Old 07-11-2016, 03:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Once you set it to record (just hit record again) and you'll see "Recording Options". And in the Favorite setting it's right there when you set up the Favoriete.

So what do I do in the interim?
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
Old 07-12-2016, 02:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So what do I do in the interim?
In the interim of what? If you want to adjust the padding for a given recording, you choose Recording Options on that recording, then choose Change Recording Options, then choose Adjust Start Time or Adjust Stop Time.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-12-2016, 05:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I have been sitting in my chair for the last 3 days having blown my back out. So other than vhecking on things I've not really done anything on it. I saw the pdf, but I haven't stuck a reader on the HTPC computer, which I didn't realize until I tried to load it this morning after clicking on help.
You might want to take the few seconds it takes to install a PDF reader and take a look at the manual. Answers to many of the questions you've posted are easily found in the manual and would likely save you from hours of frustration.