SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:47 PM
Sage User

Unable to install on new machine - Error Connecting to SageTV Server

I see that this seems to come up fairly frequently, but not always with any clear resolution.

Situation:
I'm moving everything to a new low power server, with new larger drives, etc..

My existing SageTV server has been working near flawlessly for MANY years (give or take some motherboard deaths). It's still working fine, I just want to reduce the power drain and heat build up in the room that it sits in. I do not watch tv on it, I use the HD200 extenders instead.

I installed SageTV on the new Windows 7 server, and have been able to get it to playback video on the extenders. I get an error when attempting to play on the server itself, which is fine for now--though I'll want to fix it since it is invaluable if anything comes up and I need to see actual DirecTV video to solve something.

What I'm having problem with is getting the EPG data initialized. Each time, I get the error "There was an error connecting to the SageTV server. Please make sure your internet connection is established and that you have entered the correct Zip/Postal Code."

The Zip is correct and being used on the existing server.

The other server connects to get program data just fine. Did so at 3am this morning.

I've made repeated attempts over the course of hours.

The new machine is not blocking required SageTV outgoing ports. I've verified this with http://portquiz.net:7760 and the others. Nice tool that is :-) I have firewall off just in case, but nothing appears to be blocking the outgoing connections.

I've read many many posts about this issue, but don't even have the sagetv.properties tags that people say to remove since it's a new fresh install.

Running out of things to try.

Right now, I have a HD-PVR connected to it, but no video yet. It will be connected to a DirecTV box. It's not supposed to matter during setup, so I continue there.

I've tried clicking the Ok/Continue a zillion times at different hours and I get the same error message.

I was able to add plugins and start other configuration just fine.

I stopped the server on my existing machine, with no effect-- didn't know if there was a conflict somehow.

Looking for clues as to what might be going on and how to fix, or even what to test.

Possibilities:
1) Remove, uninstall everything and retry fresh.
2) Find a debug log setting that works to show me what's going on--so far I've either missed it or it's not logging anything for some reason. Maybe in Windows itself... or something on the router that might show what's been attempted, etc..
3) ??

Please help if you have *any* ideas :-)

Thanks,
Tim
Old 07-20-2015, 09:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Is there a valid key installed on this new server? The EPG server, in preparation for the open source release, no longer accepts connections from invalid (or trial) license keys.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-20-2015, 09:33 PM
Sage User

Thanks so much for responding!

It's a valid key, but possibly duplicate from the other server.

I couldn't find my v7 Upgrade license for some reason, but was able to use the patched/updated exe file with my v6 license to remove the 21 day warnings. I can look further if it matters, I'm sure I have it saved someplace.

I wonder if, because I DID get the warning at first before patching the exe that it's flagged as invalid still someplace?

I can provide all license details privately if it would help, or if there's a way to clear the 21 day trail expiration if somehow that's still in place. I had problems with the new system at first and it sidelined me for over a month--even though I started the install and got SageTV running in some form without capture device, etc first.

Hope there's a way to make this possible. Totally looking forward to getting this running!

-Tim
Old 07-20-2015, 09:43 PM
SageTVaholic

The support form may still be able to get you your v7 key, just might take a few days.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:45 PM
Sage User

I'm sure I can find it if it will help. Will it be a problem if it's the same as the other active server?
Old 07-20-2015, 09:49 PM
Sage User

Found it in a saved txt file rather than in email.

Best way to re-apply this license over the other? Or do I need a new install, etc?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2015, 10:18 PM
Sage User

Thanks Fuzzy!!!

That was exactly the lead I needed. I found the sagetv.exe REGISTER info in the forums (which you also provided), and entered the v7 license and it allowed me to get to the next screen!

I really appreciate the help. If you're ever in Reno, send a shout out and I'll buy you a (good) beer or three!

-Tim
Old 07-21-2015, 02:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindcue View Post
I really appreciate the help. If you're ever in Reno, send a shout out and I'll buy you a (good) beer or three!
It would take a hell of a lot more than a few beers to coax me into a trip to Reno.. :-)

Old 07-25-2015, 06:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Huh???

Well I'm glad you guys figured it out. I can't get it to take my zip code for TV listings.

I have a valid key. But it's not allowing me to connect with the SageTV server.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:46 PM
SageTVaholic

have you checked your zip code on the zap2it web site?

Old 07-25-2015, 10:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

My zip is nothing obscure. Just a suburb of Los Angeles. The OTA listing is there on zap2it.

My theory is my legit key number is not on the "whitelist" because it hasn't been used before. What do you think?

Last edited by dotheDVDeed; 07-25-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotheDVDeed View Post
My zip is nothing obscure. Just a suburb of Los Angeles. The OTA listing is there on zap2it.

My theory is my legit key number is not on the "whitelist" because it hasn't been used before. What do you think?
If your zip is working for OTA but not for cable, then it's not an issue with contacting the server, or validating a license - they are the exact same server.

There is a post in I think the announcements forum about the change to the EPG server to need a valid code, might want to post there to get help if it is kicking it back at you.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:17 AM
Sage User

The key points for me:

1) The patched exe for sagetv and the server exe. http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56225 Might not be needed if you have valid V7 key.

2) I installed with an older v5 or 6 key first. Then did the V7 key (which I think was an upgrade key).

3) I verified that the EPG port was open, just go here: http://portquiz.net:7760

4) Without the V7 key it would not work at all (no EPG connection)--though the rest of SageTV worked fine. So even though the exe was patched for allowing older versions to install without the 21 day trail, there seems to be something beyond that for connecting to the EPG server. Run "sagetv.exe REGISTER" to enter the v7 key if you possibly just have an earlier one configured.

Don't know if any of this helps at all since it's basically a summary.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Sage User

I too am getting the Error connnecting to SageTV server when trying to enter my zip code to connect to server

1. I have been running SageTV v7 with an upgrade license on box A, and am not trying to switch to box B and use HDHomerun(s) with OTA (lower power, faster processor, etc)

2. Box A worked just fine for years, and I was able to migrate to the HDHomerun from my internal capture card and pull up EPG data at my zip code.

3. I tried installing the new .exes, no help

4. I verified that the EPG port was open by going to: http://portquiz.net:7760

5. I ran sagetv.exe REGISTER and then re-entered my original V6 license, but not the v7 upgrade

My best guess is that it is related to a duplicate license, but if so, how do I fix? (Happy to retire box A once Box B is working) Any ideas?
Old 08-10-2015, 08:20 PM
Sage User

For me, it seemed to be imperative that the V7 license was added at some point.

Also, I did get several fails at times even after all of this. But usually only a couple before it would work.

I's odd that the V6 key wouldn't work with the patched exe's, but for me it did seem to require the upgrade key.

My understanding is that duplicates aren't tested against, but I could be wrong.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:58 PM
Sage User

Finally got some time to work on this, and here is where I am at.

1. I tried adding my v7 upgrade key, and it said "invalid or duplicate" which would make sense, because it is a duplicate to the other server I am running until I get this one going.

2. did REGISTER.EXE and then added just my v7 upgrade key, and appeared to take.

Nevertheless, I still get "There was an Error Connecting to SageTV Server, Please be sure your Internet connection is established and that you have the correct Zip/Postal Code"

I don't know where to go from here, so any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-15-2015, 04:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Quest View Post
Finally got some time to work on this, and here is where I am at.

1. I tried adding my v7 upgrade key, and it said "invalid or duplicate" which would make sense, because it is a duplicate to the other server I am running until I get this one going.

2. did REGISTER.EXE and then added just my v7 upgrade key, and appeared to take.

Nevertheless, I still get "There was an Error Connecting to SageTV Server, Please be sure your Internet connection is established and that you have the correct Zip/Postal Code"

I don't know where to go from here, so any help would be appreciated!
Keep trying to connect it took my about 5 times ... yesterday when I refreshed my test system. I just kept hitting connect. Eventually it will connect if your license registered.

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-15-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:57 PM
Sage User

Figured it out!

It was a firewall issue after all. Not sure why it passed the port test, but I finally got it working. Thanks to all who offered their advice!
Old 08-07-2016, 01:13 AM
Sage Fanatic

What was the firewall issue?

I've been dealing with this problem on and off since I moved to a new state. Just trying to get sage running again after a year of DirecTV DVR, and server hardware upgrade.

Here is what I've done:
  • Clean install of v7.
  • Registered with v6 key, then upgrade with v7 key
  • restored my wiz.bin
  • installed HDHR for OTA.
  • Tried to get channel lineup/EPG for my zip, same errors others have posted.
  • Tried again later, it worked.
  • Scan and map channels
  • Upgrade to V9
  • realize that this lineup is missing one channel.
  • Looked up neighboring zips, found one and verified on zap2it that it has all my channels,
  • Tried to change the OTA lineup zip, get the same error again. "There was an error connecting to the SageTV Server. Please be sure your internet connection is established and that you have entered the correct zip/postal code."
  • Uninstalled comskip and google weather plugins. (The only ones I had installed), No luck
  • Set port forwarding rule in router for 7760, drop windows firewall, drop router firewall, test port successfully on portquiz.
  • Try again with original zip and new zip, try a couple others in the area and from old hometown, still no dice.
  • Thinking of trying something like wireshark, to see if request is actually being sent. Seems to produce error really quickly most of the time, other times seems to think about it for a second or two.

I dunno what else to try, thinking the problem is not on my end. But it did this to me a year ago too, on the old V7 server.

Anybody have any more thoughts?
Old 08-09-2016, 01:14 AM
Sage Fanatic

So I ended up restoring my computer to a time before I installed SageTV.
Went through the V7 setup again an was able to select an epg through the zipcode lookup effectively.

Finished configuring my other tuners with other lineups. Then updated to V9.

At the V9 install there is a prompt for an EPG license, which I had not done before, as I had assumed this was for some alternate EPG service. If it said something like Enter your V6-V7 License here to ensure the EPG service continues to work, then I would have done it the first time.

After entering my V7 key on the V9 setup, it seems that epg lookup works in V9. A bit misleading, but I got it working.

I havn't found a way to enter a reg key after the v9 install is done. SageTV.exe Register does not work in V9, at least for me.