SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:12 PM

How get HDMI+AC3 with newer model HD-PVR 2

You still need this SageTV Fix New Link to the hdpvr2_sagetv_fix.zip.
You need HDMI splitter you know why.

1: First thing you need to do install the full HD PVR 2 Installation CD from this Download Link then install it.

2: Hookup your Digital SPDIF Audio Cable form your Set-top box to HD-PVR 2 and then change audio setting from PCM output on your Set-top box to output Dolby Digital.

3: Start ArcSoft Showbiz it need say in the Audio: Dolby Digital (AC3) 2.0 or 5.1 Channel like in the below screenshot
Note: In Audio Input you need to Sel the right HDMI that is bug in Showbiz so pick the next HDMI under Line In (RCA) that really the SPDIF input

4: Now for the fun part you need to run Registry Editor
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
Click on Edit then Find {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Click on Edit then Find Hauppauge see screenshot

There not way to make a Registry File that will work for every one due to where it at which will be different for ever one as there are other devices under the Sound, video and game controllers.

5: Go to XBarPin0 see screenshot below

Now you need to edit RelatedPinIndex by change it from 4 to 6 this will make SPDIF Line input as the default pin

Note: If you have more then one HD-PVR 2 install find the other XBarPin and edit them as well if wish them all to work as well.

Also keep in mind anytime you reinstall the HD-PVR 2 driver it will be rest so keep that in mind as you have re-edit them.

6: Reboot is a MUST

7: Start SageTV and watch a show and if all goes well in the Registry it should change to

XBarPin0 = HDMI input
XBarPin1 = Component input
XBarPin2 = Composite input
XBarPin3 = S-Video input
XBarPin4 = HDMI Audio input
XBarPin5 = Audio Line input
XBarPin6 = SPDIF Line input

As for Component input with Analog RCA just go to XBarPin1 and just edit RelatedPinIndex by change it from 6 to 5 this will make the RCA Audio Line input be the default pin, and you still need make the Video input as Component+SPDIF in SageTV.
You can also do the same with S-Video and Composite input if you wish to used the Digital SPDIF Audio Cable.

I'm sure some of you are wondering why this way and not just edit the Hardware INF well we could do that which is easy, but as you know Windows is very pickee about WHQL certified and doesn't like un-match cat hash and even more so with Windows 10 so this get round that problem this is a better way go in long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hdpvr2_ac3_1.jpg (49.8 KB, 5238 views)
File Type: jpg hdpvr2_ac3_2.jpg (136.9 KB, 4927 views)
File Type: jpg hdpvr2_ac3_3.jpg (62.4 KB, 4721 views)
File Type: jpg hdpvr2_ac3_4.jpg (90.7 KB, 4731 views)

Last edited by SHS; 08-03-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Sage Icon

SHS, I've got an HD-PVR 2 sitting around here, unused. It's been awhile since anyone's been talking about it, with your latest configuration success can you speak to the overall stability of the unit in SageTV (e.g. does it still require periodic reboots, do you have to lock your STB to an output resolution or can it handle native resolution, etc.) It would be great news if we finally had a stable, rock-solid HD-PVR solution!!!
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 10-06-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
SHS, I've got an HD-PVR 2 sitting around here, unused. It's been awhile since anyone's been talking about it, with your latest configuration success can you speak to the overall stability of the unit in SageTV (e.g. does it still require periodic reboots, do you have to lock your STB to an output resolution or can it handle native resolution, etc.) It would be great news if we finally had a stable, rock-solid HD-PVR solution!!!
No require reboots it not a Colossus problem
No require lock output resolution so yes it can handle native resolution just fine but do allow a record start delay after channel change of at least 8ms to in sure good stable channel switching which was something the other didn't do well on.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
No require reboots it not a Colossus problem
No require lock output resolution so yes it can handle native resolution just fine but do allow a record start delay after channel change of at least 8ms to in sure good stable channel switching which was something the other didn't do well on.
What about playback? ... I thought I remember people posting that they had trouble playing back recordings, or maybe just watching live TV on an extender, when the HDPVR2 was the source.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 10-07-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
What about playback? ... I thought I remember people posting that they had trouble playing back recordings, or maybe just watching live TV on an extender, when the HDPVR2 was the source.
SageTV HD 100, 200 and 300 Extender are the only one's that had trouble playing back in LiveTV (buffer mode) from the HD-PVR 2 it had no problem's playing back the recordings and the Client and Placeshifter is just fine.

Last edited by SHS; 10-07-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
SageTV HD 100, 200 and 300 Extender are the only one's that had trouble playing back in LiveTV (buffer mode) from the HD-PVR 2 it had no problem's playing back the recordings and the Client and Placeshifter is just fine.
Well, that's pretty much a dealbreaker for me.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:07 AM
Sage Fanatic

Well you got me thinking about to buy a HDPVR 2 now ..... But I am still using HD300 extenders

Anyone have any idea how does it play back on ROKU using Plex server installed with SageTV?

I am seriously considering replacing all extenders with Plex supported devices if I can fast forward with smooth flow allowing me to skip the commercials.

I am still wanting a maintenance-free server and not having to do a nightly reboot which I am doing right now since I have a pair of colossus in it.

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 10-09-2014, 10:37 AM

Plex doesn't have LiveTV support right ?.
The only one I know of that do are XBMC, Media Browser and MediaPortal and are using 3rdparty add-on app which are over kill and it over complexity setting if where to it compare it to SageTV or even MCE are by far the easy to under stand when doing it the first time with it wizard unlike the other.
If my Dish Joey can play the file then there should be no reason why the ROKU can't
Old 10-09-2014, 05:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

SHS - thanks for referring me to this. I did the registry mods to switch the component sound to RCA from SPDIF but the result was still no sound. However I later noticed that it DID add another option to the sources in SageTV. Before the mod I had Component/SPDIF along with HDMI, Composite and S-Video. After the mod I got a further option of just Component. I selected that and voila - sound. It all seems to work fine though I will test for a few days to be sure and report back.
This leads to the thought that the whole no-sound issue might be due to Hauppauge having miss-programmed the crossbar settings and perhaps the SPDIF source does not point to a valid source. Their own capture software (or ShowBiz) seems to interact directly with the device so perhaps they do not use DirectShow like SageTV does.
Anyway - for now I can confirm that your registry hack works to give me Component + RCA audio as a new source entry.
Many thanks. I will now go away to learn more about how all this stuff works.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Sage Expert

Gandalf, do you have an HD300 that you can test live TV on with the component audio source?
Old 10-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

I do - but it will take a while to set up. I will try it with the new setup and post the results. As far as I know, the extenders do not have H264 decoders and hence can only stream MPEG. However I think they can replay H264 files - presumably because the SageTV server transcodes them. However I will find the extenders and try it.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Streaming to Extender

I tried both a 200 and 300 extender and can confirm that they both work with my configuration.
Specifically I have SageTV v7 with an old analog tuner card, an R5000 modified DCT2000 series STB and an HDPVR2 connected to a DCX3200 STB via component video and RCA audio - the latter set up as noted in the earlier post.
The extenders not only both play recorded MPEG2 and H264 files but will also stream live TV from any of the 3 sources in either MPEG2 or H264.
I was surprised that streaming worked because I have had trouble in the past - but I tried several channels with both MPEG2 and MPEG4 cable sources (both encoded by the PVR2 as H264 because it only sees baseband video through the component source).
I still have concerns over what the HDPVR2 would do with SPDIF optical audio or HDMI sourced video because I am not convinced that it can create a properly configured output TS with transcoded input. I have had many experiences where it sets up a stream with AAC audio and then feeds only AC3 packets (or vice versa) - which confuses most players (it is not a legal format) and results in the no-audio problems we have all experienced. However taking the signal to baseband (component video and RCA audio) may well be lower quality and lacking Dolby etc - but it seems to work once the registry hack is done as described.
Hope that helps.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:32 AM

Sorry for late reply my internet was down and way that good to hear.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
I tried both a 200 and 300 extender and can confirm that they both work with my configuration.
Specifically I have SageTV v7 with an old analog tuner card, an R5000 modified DCT2000 series STB and an HDPVR2 connected to a DCX3200 STB via component video and RCA audio - the latter set up as noted in the earlier post.
The extenders not only both play recorded MPEG2 and H264 files but will also stream live TV from any of the 3 sources in either MPEG2 or H264.
I was surprised that streaming worked because I have had trouble in the past - but I tried several channels with both MPEG2 and MPEG4 cable sources (both encoded by the PVR2 as H264 because it only sees baseband video through the component source).
I still have concerns over what the HDPVR2 would do with SPDIF optical audio or HDMI sourced video because I am not convinced that it can create a properly configured output TS with transcoded input. I have had many experiences where it sets up a stream with AAC audio and then feeds only AC3 packets (or vice versa) - which confuses most players (it is not a legal format) and results in the no-audio problems we have all experienced. However taking the signal to baseband (component video and RCA audio) may well be lower quality and lacking Dolby etc - but it seems to work once the registry hack is done as described.
Hope that helps.

Did I read this right .....
You got live stream working using HD300 extender on HDPVR2???

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 10-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
Did I read this right .....
You got live stream working using HD300 extender on HDPVR2???
That's what it sounds like to me too. I would like some verification though before I got out and buy an HD PVR 2.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Sage Icon

But it sounds like only two-channel analog audio output...
Old 10-19-2014, 12:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Streaming with extenders

Yes - I have streaming working from various cable channels (MPEG2 and 4) with an HDPVR2 passing the signal to SageTV and watching the result on either a 200 or a 300 extender.
BUT - as noted, it only works for me by taking the signal to baseband audio (RCA). It fails much of the time if I try to use optical sound - likely for the transcoding reasons I posted before.
My setup only uses basic stereo, so it is not an issue for me. The quality is quite good - so no worry. However, if you are looking for 5.1 surround etc you are likely not going to get it this way.
What I am pleased about is that the registry hack that started this thread actually does seem to allow SageTV to see the RCA audio option on the HDPVR2 - something the Hauppauge software could see but SageTV could not. This has always been the issue for Hauppauge - their software works, SageTV does not so that is SageTV's fault. It looks to me like their software drives the HDPVR2 directly while SageTV uses what is exposed to it through DirectX. After the registry mod, SageTV can now "see" the RCA audio option and, using that option, the sound issues that I have had go away.
To be clear - the sound issues are still there if I try to use optical audio. The fault to me is still clearly with Hauppauge - but the chances of them agreeing to that are zero.
It would be useful for someone else who has an HDPVR2 and an extender to try the same setup and post the results. I agree that a sample of one is not proof of solution - but it is a step in the right direction.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Sage User

Quote:
You still need this SageTV Fix click here.
You need HDMI splitter you know why.

1: First thing you need to do install the full HD PVR 2 Installation CD from this Download Link then install it.

2: Hookup your Digital SPDIF Audio Cable form your Set-top box to HD-PVR 2 and then change audio setting from PCM output on your Set-top box to output Dolby Digital.

3: Start ArcSoft Showbiz it need say in the Audio: Dolby Digital (AC3) 2.0 or 5.1 Channel like in the below screenshot
Note: In Audio Input you need to Sel the right HDMI that is bug in Showbiz so pick the next HDMI under Line In (RCA) that really the SPDIF input

4: Now for the fun part you need to run Registry Editor
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
Click on Edit then Find {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Click on Edit then Find Hauppauge see screenshot

There not way to make a Registry File that will work for every one due to where it at which will be different for ever one as there are other devices under the Sound, video and game controllers.

5: Go to XBarPin0 see screenshot below

Now you need to edit RelatedPinIndex by change it from 4 to 6 this will make SPDIF Line input as the default pin

Note: If you have more then one HD-PVR 2 install find the other XBarPin and edit them as well if wish them all to work as well.

Also keep in mind anytime you reinstall the HD-PVR 2 driver it will be rest so keep that in mind as you have re-edit them.

6: Reboot is a MUST

7: Start SageTV and watch a show and if all goes well in the Registry it should change to

XBarPin0 = HDMI input
XBarPin1 = Component input
XBarPin2 = Composite input
XBarPin3 = S-Video input
XBarPin4 = HDMI Audio input
XBarPin5 = Audio Line input
XBarPin6 = SPDIF Line input

As for Component input with Analog RCA just go to XBarPin1 and just edit RelatedPinIndex by change it from 6 to 5 this will make the RCA Audio Line input be the default pin, and you still need make the Video input as Component+SPDIF in SageTV.
You can also do the same with S-Video and Composite input if you wish to used the Digital SPDIF Audio Cable.

I sure some of you are wondering why this way and just edit the Hardware INF well could do that which is easy, but as you know Windows is very pickee about WHQL certified and doesn't like un-match cat hash and even more so with Windows 10 so this get round that problem this is a better way go.

I followed this and used a 5 instead of 6 and still no audio. I am using Component and RCA. I also do not see any changes in the source. I have to choose Component and SPIDIF. When I reboot after changing the RelatedPinIndex to 5 the AudioInputPin stays at a 6 under DriverData. Any ideas?
Doug

Last edited by dwycoff; 11-05-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:53 PM
Sage User

Screen shots!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 2.48.05 PM.png (93.4 KB, 408 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 2.47.09 PM.png (80.6 KB, 389 views)
Old 11-05-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwycoff View Post
I followed this and used a 5 instead of 6 and still no audio. I am using Component and RCA. I also do not see any changes in the source. I have to choose Component and SPIDIF. When I reboot after changing the RelatedPinIndex to 5 the AudioInputPin stays at a 6 under DriverData. Any ideas?
Doug
Did you not read what I said you still have to choose Component and SPIDIF for analog input.
Keep in mind that you need change the RelatedPinIndex in folder XBarPin1 first