SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

HD-PVR Cannot rollback to 1.0.5.301 with newer units

OK, I've been through every trick in the book by now trying to get my 2-HD-PVR's to place nice without locking up on my WHS. The only trick I haven't tried is rolling back to 1.0.5.301 drivers. The problem is that my units are only a month old and came with the latest 1.5.6.1 drivers. And worse yet, while I've found links to getting the 1.0.5.301 whql, unfortunately my version of TME will not run with the older driver and therefore makes it impossible to reconfigure the HD-PVR with older driver or to test.

I did find a link to an older CD, (CD-HD-PVR-V22F), but after reading further in that thread, it was reported those CD files didn't work either.

Seems like the more I read, the best trick in the book is to run the HD-PVR's with the 1.0.5.301 whql. Can someone point us to a verision of TME that will allow setting up HD-PVR with the older driver?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quite the catch 22

Check your PM
Old 12-19-2009, 11:57 AM
SageTVaholic

I've never setup TME with my HD PVR, it's not necessary, never even installed it.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

This may be a new one for you guys. Hauppauge must have made a hardware modification on the later units. I've had nothing but PC lockup problems trying to flash my 1 month old units with the 1.0.5.301 drivers.

And to top that, when I loaded the older V1.0 CD, (which has "I have no clue what verison" drivers, I get a "hardware incompatibility" error when running through driver install. I did run HCWClear many times, both with the HD-PVR plugged in and un-plugged. I also rebooted everytime also.

After working all morning on this, I finally had to clear everything and reload 1.5.6.1 before I could get my HD-PVR's back up and talking to SageTV.

So as it stands now, it looks like I'm stuck with the 1.5.6.1 driver and cannot roll back to 1.0.5.301. The good news is that I don't seem to have as many lockups as the guys with the older units were having. I thought I was having some success changing the bit rate from "constant" to "variable" using TME. But for some reason, when I get a lockup, the Device Settings in TME revert back to the defaults, except for "Disabling Bling", when I power off the HD-PVR and power back on. My thougts were to lower the USB traffic by reducing the 9.0 Constant default bit rate. That goes in the toilet if the HD-PVR is going to reset back to default configuration every time there is problem and it needs to be rebooted.

This being said, I think some of you may want to look into getting your units replaced by Hauppauge and find a serial number/hardware version listing or some utility to ID hardware versions, OR...., you may be the lucky ones in the end if it proves out the 1.0.5.301 driver is the ticket for a "freeze" free older device.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Sage Icon

Have you turned in a support ticket with Hauppauge? I'm not putting it past Hauppauge to make such a change, but it would be nice to get official clarification from Hauppauge.

So I'd file a ticket saying you are having trouble rolling back to 1.0.5.301 and see what they say.

Because I use a HD-100 for playback, I've also not installed the TME software either.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 12-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Sage Expert

I can't think of why the version of TME would matter for installing HD-PVR drivers. I didn't have any trouble rolling back from 1.5.6.1 to 1.0531 myself. For what it's worth, I think TME is installed on the server (WHS), but I never let it update to the latest version when it asked.

Also although possible seems unlikely that Hauppauge has a new revision that won't allow for older drivers. I have an E1.

Wondering if you have a different issue altogether.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post
I can't think of why the version of TME would matter for installing HD-PVR drivers. I didn't have any trouble rolling back from 1.5.6.1 to 1.0531 myself. For what it's worth, I think TME is installed on the server (WHS), but I never let it update to the latest version when it asked.

Also although possible seems unlikely that Hauppauge has a new revision that won't allow for older drivers. I have an E1.

I have E1's as well. But I can't think of any reason why my PC has lockup problems when trying to install 1.0.5.301 when 1.5.6.1 installs without a hitch every time. I can say that after my PC locked up while installing the 1.05301, and I rebooted, I checked for capture devices in the Hardware Device manager and found both were showing up. In addition, both were showing the 1.0.5.301 drivers as current driver. Thought I would be good to go, but then I found I could not get SageTV to "see" the tuners anymore, even thought they were listed and showing "working" in the Device Hardware manager.

I'll find out for sure in a week or so. I've ordered a new, motherboard, CPU, and memory to upgrade my WHS machine. If that doesn't cure my woes, I'll try to clear HDPRV drivers and install the 1.05301 drivers again.

For what it's worth, still seems strange BOTH of my fairly new units have problems installing the older drivers but no problem whatsoever installing the latest driver. I can only think of a hardware change that would cause that.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

One more thing....
Can you share your process to "rollback" to 1.05301? I ran hwclear with both PVR's connected and powered, rebooted, then disconnected devices, ran hwclear again, rebooted, then ran hwclear again, rebooted, then powered up 1 of the units, checked cancel when windows prompted me to search for device driver, and ran HcwDriverInstall.exe in the hdpvr1.0.5.301_whql folder. Driver install ran for a few seconds, then screen froze. No mouse movement and no access to task manager to shut down application.

I tried the above 3 times before giving up. Like I said, I also obtained an older V.01 CD and went through the autorun setup and tried installing the drivers on that CD, only to get message "Drivers not compatible with hardware" message.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Sage Fanatic

I have gone from 1.5.6.1 to 1.0.5.301 a couple of times with no problems.

Uninstall from control panel both Arcsoft and HD-PVR software then run HcwDriverInstall.exe. If you have two units the HcwDriverInstall.exe needs to run on each separately, to write firmware.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportera View Post
One more thing....
Can you share your process to "rollback" to 1.05301?
I never run HWclear. All I did was turn off one HD-PVR (I have two), run the driver update, turn the one off back on and the one I just updated off, and run the driver update again. Then I rebooted the server. No issues.

Unfortunately rolling back the drivers has not been a cure-all. On the plus side I haven't had any lockups in four days since installing. On the negative side I'm not getting super quality recordings. Getting the underwater sound thing as well as periodic annoying buzzing for a second periodically. Also sometimes the video gets a little choppy and audio out-of-sync (although not nearly as bad as the 3+ second lag with the newer drivers).

Survivor finale was very watchable but annoying with all the glitches.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Moving USB connection to another set of USB ports

Quote:
Unfortunately rolling back the drivers has not been a cure-all. On the plus side I haven't had any lockups in four days since installing. On the negative side I'm not getting super quality recordings. Getting the underwater sound thing as well as periodic annoying buzzing for a second periodically. Also sometimes the video gets a little choppy and audio out-of-sync (although not nearly as bad as the 3+ second lag with the newer drivers).

Survivor finale was very watchable but annoying with all the glitches.
Maybe good news from my failures to roll back to 1.0.5.301. When re-installing 1.5.6.1, I remembered reading a post with someone recommending you NOT connect more than 1 HDPVR (or any other USB device) to a set of USB ports. I have 2 sets of USB ports on the pack of my PC. I moved one of the HDPVR USB connections to the other set and guess what...

No more lock ups in over a week now where I had been getting 2-3 lockups at least every week. Fingers crossed at this point.