SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Win 7 --- Can only see a single HDPVR

Guys,
The drive in my Sage server took a dump after almost 4 years of service. I decided to move away from XP and install windows7. I was able to get Sage working and indexed using a week old version of my wiz.bin but am having issues getting multiple HDPVRs to work.

On the Win 7 machine, I have 2 HDPVRs installed:

SageTV sees only a single HDPVR under setup:

Do I have to somehow name the second HDPVR something different? I could swear that in XP they showed up as tuner#1 and tuner#2, but it's been years since I had to configure from scratch.

How do I get this second HDPVR visible and working under windows7? A RTFM with a link is acceptable as well as kind words and guidance.

Thanks in advance,
DQ
Headless Backend AMD 5050e (XP Pro), 4G Memory, 3TB, storage, Sage 6.5, R5000, 2 HD PVR, CFI ESATA enclosure (3 TB), UNRAID server with ~26TB and growing 3 HD300 extenders and 1 HD200 cranking away over Gigabit ethernet

Last edited by DualQuad; 05-23-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Can't say I remember having this. At least not without a yellow exclimation in Windows itself anyway. Have you setup SageTV from scratch and only kept your Wiz.Bin file and let SageTV create the properties file from default values?

If NOT then try deleting the properties file and let SageTV recreate it and setup your tuners and channels from scratch again. That is what I always do when I change PCs.

If you did start from scratch then I would try with just one HD-PVR connected first and get it setup in SageTV then reboot PC. Then hookup the 2nd HD-PVR and reboot the pc after windows has it listed and functional. Hopefully when you reboot after that SageTV will see it and can then set it up. I would reboot a final time once it is setup in SageTV before you try recording anything on it.

If those suggestions don't work maybe someone else would have an idea. I have my HD-PVR's connected to a VM of SageTV on Win7x64 in ESXi 5.0 and have 2 connected so I know it is possible with a bare metal install on Win7.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

1) I removed the HDPVR that wasn't visible to Sage. I am using HTTP control for channel change and used the IP of the box that was working and deduced which HDPVR was seen by SageTV

2) Renamed properties file - hoping sage will rebuild and then I can compare
3) restarted server
4) Checked for single HDPVR

5) Started Sage and verified that tuner still worked
6) Powered down server
7) Plugged in other HDPVR USB
8) Restarted server, checked HDPVR device count in windows

9) Fired up Sage -- only one capture device is seen

Gonna try to setup the second device (from example) to see if I can get that one working alone

10) Got second device working alone
11) Downgraded driver on device
11a) Ran HCWClear to remove all drivers
12) Restarted with both HDPVR plugged in
13) After reboot windows said that there were now drivers --- INstalled HDPVR drivers

14) Rebooted
15) Sage still only sees a single HDPVR

Both devices show to be different ports on the same hub, maybe win7 has issues with HDPVR on same hub? Any other ideas?
Headless Backend AMD 5050e (XP Pro), 4G Memory, 3TB, storage, Sage 6.5, R5000, 2 HD PVR, CFI ESATA enclosure (3 TB), UNRAID server with ~26TB and growing 3 HD300 extenders and 1 HD200 cranking away over Gigabit ethernet

Last edited by DualQuad; 05-23-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Had a reply almost completed when Firefox crashed on me or maybe it was the newegg site not sure which - since even in Chrome I'm having problems with newegg still - specifically am unable to login currently and they won't chat or email me a password link. Anyway I am using an add-on NEC chipset USB 2.0 card to control my HD-PVRs. I got that as an attempt to improve my HD-PVR recordings on WinXP. At the same time I upgraded from XP to Win7 so not really sure which made the most difference but after that I only have 1 bad recording every several months now. Was getting several a week before that from MB USB ports in WinXP. So if you don't mind throwing hardware at the problem you might try adding an NEC chipset USB card. First however I would try different USB ports and see if that helps.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

I tried the various ports on the motherboard, all externally accessible are showing as being part of the same hub. I should have a new USB card here tomorrow, one day ship from Amazon.

I will keep the thread up to date.

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

You might want to go searching for some freeware named USBView. Running it will give you a map of what device is mapped to which USB port. If two devices are connected to the same hub it will be readily apparent. I used it a while back and it helped me resolve issues I was seeing when two HDPVRs were plugged into the same hub.
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA
Old 05-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have been going through Device Manager to see what's connected:

The curious thing is that Device manager shows 2 buses but all connections backpanel and on board show up under the same bus. This worked just fine in XP, but windows 7 is not being happy with this configuration.

The USB card was just delivered, I will get that dropped in tonight.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:24 PM
SageTVaholic

And just to show you that it is possible here is Win7x64 "Devices":

And here they are in "Setup Video Sources":
Attached Images
File Type: png Devices.png (41.3 KB, 264 views)
File Type: png SageTVSetup.png (272.4 KB, 261 views)
Old 05-25-2013, 06:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

New USB card installed, HDPVR detected and placed onto different hub and Sage still doesn't see the second tuner.

Going to try an uninstall-reinstall of Sage with all hardware in it's current location.

Any other ideas?
Old 05-25-2013, 07:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Update: Fixed...

Well, the uninstall of Sage and reinstall to same directory gave the same results, only a single tuner found. So I installed to a new, clean directory and can see both tuners.

Now the question becomes, can I plug in my third HDPVR and HDHR? The recording day starts up in a few minutes, so now more experimenting until next week.

Thanks for the help. I am gonna miss this place when it goes away.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Glad you got it working!

My last suggestion was to save your Wiz.Bin ONLY somewhere else. Then reformat and reinstall your OS. Then install SageTV and set it up. Once everything is working then copy back the Wiz.Bin.