SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Gemstone for v7
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Gemstone for v7 This forum is for discussing the user-created Gemstone custom interface for SageTV.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Sage Icon

Gemstone questions

Sorry if this should go elsewhere since I'm not a tester, but (as a non-tester), I would love to know how it's going! Are you guys going to create a screenshots thread? Info about what amazing things are available (i.e., a list of all the widgets being offered)? Descriptions of all the views and flows and such that come with it by default? Or are you waiting until it's fully released?

I really want to see everything - both out of wondering whether or not I will want to use it when it's released, and from just plain ol' curiosity. Have some mercy and throw a bone to us guys who don't have test machines and can't be testers due to fear of risking the WAF!
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Hi pjpjpjpj, since nobody has replied, I thought Id tell you what I know...

The flow-view are incredible looking. Even the existing flows views that we already had before in Diamond 3.x look very polished. Its definately the best SageTV can look without losing compatibility with most plugins.

There isn't much left to do as far as I can tell. It is completely functional and no major bugs. There's one issue related to memory utilization; which should be addressed any day.

Also, you may want to wait until it includes different colored themes/packs; which I think should happen soon pretty soon. Currently, its limited to blue highlight color and no backgrounds.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they make a full official public release in 1-2 weeks.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Are you guys going to create a screenshots thread?
When time permits, I had a server crash and am in the middle of rebuilding so I don't have any Sagetv at the moment to share...

I am also thinking of a dedicated thread for how to videos to guide users through some of the more involved setups.

J
Old 09-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Sage Expert

Hmmmm. I just had a server crash too. Conspiracy?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorton View Post
When time permits, I had a server crash and am in the middle of rebuilding so I don't have any Sagetv at the moment to share...

I am also thinking of a dedicated thread for how to videos to guide users through some of the more involved setups.

J
Sorry to hear about the server!

I was hoping you guys would create a dedicated thread but I didn't want to be so presumptuous as to flat-out ask for one.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Sage Expert

I'll throw out a few comments. Maybe I'll get a chance to do some screenshots this weekend. Until then, you can see some screenshots in the 'issues' thread.

For me, anyway, Gemstone's greatest feature is the customizability. It incorporates ADM, so you have complete control over your menu structure. And it uses the view system from Phoenix, which means you have a great deal of control over what is being shown in your flows. And there are quite a few different flows to choose from:

Sage Flow
Inline Flow
360 Flow
Center Flow
Wall Flow
Stage Flow
Fanart Flow

as well as probably 3 or 4 more than I'm not remembering. Of course there is a fair amount of customization of each flow as well.

For those of you have used Phoenix, the view/flow setup will be familiar. But it has a bit of a learning curve if you haven't seen it before. But the awesomeness comes from the fact that you have the ability to customize things like never before. For example, I often watch a movie and then go to bed before it's over... then I forget I started it the next time I go to watch something. So I created a view to list "partially watched movies". The latest gemstone can even put this in a widget, if I want! Other folks (in Phoenix) have created views to show "Chick flicks" designed to list shows that the wives would like, or views for the kid's favorite shows only. Stuff like that.

Oh, and I think the overall responsiveness of Gemstone is quite a bit better than Diamond, which was one of my issues with Diamond. At least when the heap isn't full, that is.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorton View Post

J
Jinxes I had a HD fail on me a few minutes ago must be contagious.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Server video card died. One tuner in my 2250 "is unable to start". Not good.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.