SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-02-2012, 11:44 PM

Temp. License Key Expired

My temp key has gone past 21 days, and I want to purchase the software, but when I click 'buy now' it re-directs me to the homepage, where I can't click on anything but the email, and forum link.

How do I go about ordering SageTV?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:22 AM
SageTVaholic

SageTV was purchased by google over a year ago, and you have not been able to purchase one since then. If you have access there is a classified section where you could purchase one.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebib62 View Post
My temp key has gone past 21 days, and I want to purchase the software, but when I click 'buy now' it re-directs me to the homepage, where I can't click on anything but the email, and forum link.

How do I go about ordering SageTV?
Used licenses and products for sale here:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52
Extenders: Nvidia Shield x2 / 3 placeshifters
Server Software: Win 10 64, SageTV 9.1.5.683, Java 8_241, Real VNC
Other: MiniClient, Commercial Detector UI, Sage Recording Extender
Old 08-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Sage Icon

It looks like there are no server licenses for sale on that link or ebay. There were a number of server and client licenses being sold a couple of months ago. You'll have to keep watching both places for another license to be sold.

If you have an image of your computer, you can recover back to before the software was installed, then install it again for another 15 days. You would have to repeat that process until you find a used license for sale.

If you do not have an image of your computer, you would need to format the drive, re-install Windows and your other programs, then take an image, then install SageTV.

It's important to have an image before installing new software. If you do, then you can completely uninstall the software by recovering your system to the point in time before the install occurred. Otherwise, the add/remove programs does not completely uninstall the program, which is not enough to install the trial again.

It would be a big hassle to have to keep using the trial that way. It would be much simpler if you could simply buy the software. Unfortunately, Google does not want to sell you the software and does not want your money.

Dave
Old 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

I don't understand why Sage doesn't just post a license for everyone to use.

The company's been bought, the product is no longer being sold. For all we know, the product could been abandoned for good. What harm would it cause to just provide a license for existing users to use? It's the least it could do for its existing user base.

I don't understand why Google would care either way. If a product has been abandoned by a company, would one be in violation of the law if one use the product without a license?
Old 08-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgoose View Post
I don't understand why Sage doesn't just post a license for everyone to use.

The company's been bought, the product is no longer being sold. For all we know, the product could been abandoned for good. What harm would it cause to just provide a license for existing users to use? It's the least it could do for its existing user base.

I don't understand why Google would care either way. If a product has been abandoned by a company, would one be in violation of the law if one use the product without a license?
Some are hoping that the license gets changed to open source so it can be freely used / shared. However, there may be code in SageTV that is licensed from the intellectual property holder and there may be code that is proprietary to SageTV LLC (now Google) that Google doesn't want to share freely.

If either of these conditions exist, an open source license or free keys may never happen.

It was kind of them to let us upgrade to v7 for free.
Extenders: Nvidia Shield x2 / 3 placeshifters
Server Software: Win 10 64, SageTV 9.1.5.683, Java 8_241, Real VNC
Other: MiniClient, Commercial Detector UI, Sage Recording Extender