SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

CPU/MB Temp Monitor?

Wondering if anyone knows of a way (or plugin?) to see the current temp of CPU and/or MB while still in Sage?

It would be great if there was some kind of add-on that creates a menu within Sage that would show this info. Like something under Utilties/Apps in an STV...
Old 07-21-2005, 11:59 PM
Sage Fanatic

I second that. A while back I asked if there was a way to add CPU load so that you can see how taxed your system is while recording, navigating the menus or detecting commercials, etc.. It didn't get very far. I think somebody just needs to want to do it, and there aren't that many people who have the means even if they want to.

With 3.0 coming out "soon", I imagine there will be some updating of the currently available STV's so maybe we can cross our fingers that somebody will incorperate these ideas. Though, It might be more difficult to report CPU temps than it seems. Every comupter I've ever monitored CPU temps on has been via the bios, or software from the mother board manufacturer. I.e. not the same for every computer. But I could be wrong.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

As for the cpu/mb monitor, do a google for "motherboard monitor" ....... not sure if your board will be compatible, but if it is then cudos for you because within motherboard monitor there is a setting to allow an "overlay" of cpu/mb temps to display topmost (on top of any programs open) on your monitor/tv. The only problem is is that I think that devlepment stopped on it a few months back so your still in luck since it wasn't written in the DOS era

As for a cpu load monitor, not sure if you're looking for cpu usage (what the task manager shows you) or what I consider cpu load... which a program called CrystalCPUID displays with a realtime clock speed. But it only works if you can "throttle" down your cpu with some sort of multiplier management. For example, I have an AMD64 3200+ which allows a small AMD program called PowerNow/Cool'n'Quiet to "throttle" down the cpu so it's not running at full speed at all times (this throttle down lowers my temps by as much as 11-12 degrees) Anyway this program doesn't stay on top but you can alt-tab to it and it should stay there if your using a remote control for sagetv (I think)

Good luck!
Future plans: 1 more HVR2250, 1 Ceton CC 4-way tuner, 10TB diskspace
Issues: 1 PVR250 not working, system board?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:56 AM
Sage Icon

In addition to motherboard monitor there is also an app called Speedfan. It gives you all the temps, fan speeds, and CPU loads. This would be a great addition!
JUC
Old 07-22-2005, 08:52 AM
Sage User

Intel Active Monitor

If you happen to be using an Intel motherboard, you can get an excellent tool from Intel website. The tool let's you monitor temps, fan speeds, cpu load, etc. It works *very* well. If you are using Hyperthreading or dual cores, it even shows load on each thread or core.

I believe the tool is named: Intel Active Monitor, or Intel Desktop Control Center, or something like that. There are several versions for different generations of motherboards/processors.

To find the tool, go to the Intel download site where you get bios/drivers for your motherboard. With a little browsing, you will find the proper tool for your motherboard.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the tip on motherboard monitor. I have long since forgotten about that tool since my overclocking days.

Are there any STVs or plugins out there that allow you to add an application/task of your choice to the Sage menus? With that we could maybe add a menu in Sage that would, say for instance, run a batch file to launch a prog displaying temps, loads, etc., then terminate that app after a few seconds?? Only the menu option would need to be part of Sage, then we wouldn't have to rely on whether or not the mobo is compatible. You could use whichever prog is with your setup.

(Just tired of having to get off the couch and revert to Windows every time I want to make sure my house isn't going to burn down).

Please excuse my novice description above. I know networking NOT programming.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:16 AM
Sage Fanatic

I was hoping for something within the STV for those of us who run hardware decodeing staight to our TV's. I.e. On the WinTV PVR350 other desk top applications can not be displayed.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertHere
TAre there any STVs or plugins out there that allow you to add an application/task of your choice to the Sage menus?
my dynamic menu plugin can -- It is used by Cayar's STV; SageMC; laurenglenn's STV, and probably others I don't know about . SageMC also has a 'external programs' section.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

That's what I'm looking for! Thanks!!
Old 07-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Heya,

I use Speedfan (http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php). Awesome tool and I've yet to come across a setup it won’t work for, and of course the best part, it’s free! I was thinking this could be added to SageTV via STV alot like the disk space display, thus providing a constant visual of the temp for cpu/video/other and fan speed and such. Another option that crossed my mind was this could work like the caller ID plug-in. Once a temp got above say 60c you'd get a popup indicating such.

Just an idea,
RedR
Old 07-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedR
I was thinking this could be added to SageTV via STV alot like the disk space display
NOW you're talkin'...
Old 07-22-2005, 04:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Is there a monitoring app with an API (e.g. a command line interface)? Is there one that can be mined for info by Girder?

If so, it could be customized (customised) using Niel's dynamic menu and popup info plugins to provide this kind of functionality, though it wouldn't be possible (without access to Studio) to get it to work like the always-visible disk space display.

EDIT: P.S. I use SpeedFan myself. It's great for tying the speed of your fans to the CPU and case temps, if your motherboard is supported. I've had pretty good luck with Asus boards in this regard. Not so good with Dell, Intel and Abit, but YMMV. Given the functionality of Speedfan (and the other work I've put in to having cool HTPCs), I don't find myself wondering about case/CPU temps while watching TV.

Last edited by salsbst; 07-22-2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm fairly certain that MBM can be mined by girder. I think I remeber setting upa girder rule based on MBM temp a while back...