SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Share your Network Configs.

I thought this would be a good place to share Network Configurations.

Comcast TV and Internet Service

pFsense Router 3 nics.
Wan Nic1 Nic2

Wan Nic connected to Comcast Modem

pFsense Nic 1 Connected to 8 Port Switch 192.168.1.1

Connected to Switch
PFsense Router
SAGESERVER (1 Gigabit Intel Nic)
2 Hd homerun Dual Tuners
1 Hd Homerun Prime (SAGEDCT)
1 Wireless Access Point (general Use)
1 Wireless Access Point just For Sage (Sage Access point)

pFsense Nic 2 Connected to 5 Port Switch 192.168.0.1

Connected to Switch
PFsense Router
SAGESERVER (1 Gigabbit Linksys Nic)
SageClient #1
SageClient #2
SageClient #3 (My Main Machine Development) also runs Comskip and Handbrake

Laptop SageClient Connects to Sage Access point.

Last edited by nyplayer; 06-23-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Well since I need a break from leaving all my sweat all over my car....

I've got a Cisco RV180 VPN router
Hanging off that is my D-Link DGS-1024D 24 port switch, to which all of my various devices are connected.
Oh, and a D-Link DIR-825 that I'm using as my access point (2 radios, one on 5GHz for my n Laptop, and another on 2.4GHz for all the other wifis, like my Roku and Squeezebox).
Old 06-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Sage Fanatic

Well, since I need a break from trying to figure out a new cable card activation...

I have ADSL and Cable modems both feeding a Netgear FVS336G firewall/router. (Comcast is much faster than DSL, but not solid here and I work out of my house. There's nothing like giving a web presentation and having the connection die, so that's why the two lines. I'm still down for the minute it takes to fail over--can't set things any lower in the Netgear--but I'll live with that.)

The router feeds a 16-port Netgear GS716T "smart" switch. Two trunked lines (2x1G) are attached to my WHS and Ubuntu servers. (I never ran any tests to see how much this helps if at all, but hey, it was available in the hardware/software so why not?) I'm totally out of ports, so will probably need an upgrade or expansion there at some point.

Wireless N is a Netgear WNAP210 mounted in a central location thanks to PoE. I bought this model because I thought I'd need multiple APs to cover the house and these were comparatively cheap that could still use a concentrator to make roaming seamless: full bandwidth and no change in encryption settings across APs unlike repeaters. But it turns out the one AP covers my house and yard fine--good thing as concentrators seem to be expensive!

I also have a Linksys (it's not a Netgear!) WAP200 dedicated to serving G-based devices like a centralized printer and the Wii. Unfortunately both APs are 2.4GHz only. The WAP200 I have on channel 11 and the WNAP210 on channel 1 (with a 40MHz width). It works fine for most things except HD video streaming over wireless requires transcoding, (the important stuff is all wired, though). And for some reason I frequently have to reboot the Linksys AP to get the printer working again, (I even replaced the D-Link G-based AP I had before thinking that was the problem, but no...)

The Netgear AP also uses a seperate VLAN and SSID for semi-open access via CoovaChilli captive portal software on the Ubuntu box. This means visitors can get Internet access without me letting them on the internal network and without it being totally open, (you have to enter a code phrase to bridge to the Internet). Boy was that a trip to get working--and I've had no need for it so far!

Overall the core network has been working well for me for a while. At some point I think I'd like to get a switch with PoE ports instead of the external brick I use now, but until I have more PoE devices, (e.g. cameras and am in no rush for that), there's no need.

In the past I've had Cisco, D-Link, and other brands, but somehow the Netgear stuff has started to take over...it'll probably all be different in a few years.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Sage Icon

I have a Netgear WNR3500 connecting us to the outside world. Connected to that is a Netgear 8 port switch - with two more Netgear 4 port switches behind that - and a Airpot Extreme base station handling all the wifi (all N now) assisted by two Time Capsules in bridge mode.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:23 AM
SageTVaholic

I've got everything in the house (SageTV Server, Main Desktop, LivingRoom client, Master Bedroom Client, Play Room Extender, Father-in-Law's computer, 2 network printers, 4 Dish network tuners, and an HD-Home-run) tied together through a D-Link DGS-1016D. Connected to that i have a Linksys WRT-54G router running Tomato Firmware v1.28.1816 handling DHCP, Wi-fi, and Internet routing to an Ambit U10C018 Cable modem provided by Charter Communications (30Mbps Down, 4Mbps up). Has been working great this way for years...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-25-2012, 04:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

DSL Model connected to a 24port gigabit switch.

The entire house - Sage server, HD300, HD200, 5 computers and laptops
Old 06-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Verizon FIOS - ISP - 50mbps down, 25mbps up

ONT to FIOS Actiontec modem/router via coax, all firewall info turned off and DMZ info pointing to WAN NIC of untangle box. LAN NIC of untangle box to 24 port DLINK switch. All LAN devices plugged into switch, including 2 network printers, 5 x PCs, SageTV extenders, 3 wireless access points (one upstairs, one downstairs, and one in garage), and unraid box.

Wireless network has wii, wireless printer, 3 laptops, 1 x tablet, 3 x phones, 2 foscam cameras, and a chumby.
CLIENTS: 2 x HD200s, 2 x HD300

Last edited by macsupergeek; 06-25-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

We live on a small farm and our house is about 800 feet from the county road.

I have a time warner cable feed to my wife's office which is a small 1 bedroom house about 150 feet from the road.

Office:
Cable Modem to Time warner voip box for the two business phone lines and also Asus rt-n16 router, running tomato, and an eight port gigabyte switch connecting 3 pc's, 2 network printers and my SageTV server and HDhomerun tuner.

Horse Pasture:
There is a 750' run of Fiber optic cable, in conduit, between the office and my house with a media converter at each end. Time warner wanted $3500.00 to run cable from the street to my house!

House:
Fiber optic comes into the house to the media converter which feeds an 8 port gigabyte switch for HD300, HD200, 2 pc's, and my old linksys wireless router which acts as a wifi access point for an ipad, laptop and our android phones. We also have a Sprint Airave cell phone booster since we get really weak cell service out here in the sticks....

I'm pretty well tied in to a SageTv server-client model of TV. I had all this designed and the fiber optic installed about a year ago. Hopefully, SageTV will keep working for years to come.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Insight Cable Modem - 50dn/5up
connects to
Super Micro SuperServer - Running pfSense
connects to
Zyxel GS1500-24P - 24 Port Gigabit PoE
connects to
Ubiquiti UniFi AP Pro - Dual-band Gigabit PoE Access Point

We recently purchased an older home and had 22 CAT-6 drops ran (2 to each jack). All is terminated to a two post rack in the utility room in the basement. A variety of computers, telephones, media players, game consoles, and tablets are connected to the network. There is also a rack mount UPS protecting all equipment.

B
Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Sage Icon

Our hodgepodge network looks something like this:
  • Actiontec MI424 Rev C (old, wireless disabled, and slowly dying) for FiOS 25mbs/25mbs (to be replaced with Asus RT-N66U via "MOCA bridging" the Actiontec, but tricky to keep TV/VOD working right)
  • Two TrendNet wireless-N APs (either end of three-bedroom ranch-style house, including one to replace the disabled wireless on the Actiontec) for Boxee Box, Roku 2 XS, and our four roaming iOS devices
  • A 4-port Gigabit Netgear switch (living room) for HTPC, PS3, and Wii
  • An 8-port Gigabit Cisco switch (guest room, temporary, will move to computer area post remodel)
  • One old Linksys AP (wireless-G to be decommissioned now that our iDevices have been upgraded to iOS 5.1 which seems to play nice with the TrendNets) (just unplugged that sucker while I was thinking about it )

I convinced hubby to run cat5 to three rooms in the house and that's been great...
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 06-27-2012, 09:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Rogers Ultimate Cable Internet service 75Mbps down, 2Mbps up connected to an SMC Gateway/Cable Modem.
Asus Router
24 port D-Link Gigabit switch
4 other routers with DHCP turned off acting as WAPs and switches (one each of basement, main floor, second floor + one in pool cabana)
Three Motorola NIM-100 MOCA devices to reach the parts of the house that were hard to wire.
About 6 desktop PCs
Three laptops
Four SageTV HD-200s (plus a few backups)
Two SageTV HD-300s
Vonage Phone adapter
Lots of other network devices (IP Cams, Smartphones, iPads, Xbox, Wii, etc)
Old 06-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Sage User

The cable modem is connected to a Cisco ASA5505 which feeds my workstation and the webcam server. A Netgear N750 router is connected to the firewall and used as a WAP for the rest of the house SageTv included.

Why would I have the ASA when I have the Netgear? I do IT work on the side and it helps to have my own ASA to test and experiment on. Besides there are a lot things you can do with access-lists
Old 07-09-2012, 10:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
Can you comment on the UniFi and the range you get with it for your wireless... this looks like a good fit for my home but wanted to hear your experience.

PS: I do not plan to use WiFi for Sage... just for laptops/iPad etc.

k
Old 07-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

My clearwire modem feeding a Linksys wrt-54gl wireless router. Router feeding into a 8 port HP gigabit switch. 8 port switch feeds my two office machines, sage server and several bedrooms in the house. A downstream 5 port gig switch in the living room that my TV, blueray player, hd200 and netbook plug into.