SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Sage User

Help Installing SageDCT on WHS v1

I am unclear and having trouble getting SageDCT running on WHS v1. I have looked at the author’s guide and on threads the forum and folks say it works, but I am unclear how to install.

BACKGROUND=> I just replaced my HDHR with an HDHR Prime. I upgraded my SageTV install from a V6 to a V7 on my WHS, and went through all of the license issues and have all that running. I went through all the challenges getting the cablecard working with Comcast (3 cards to get one that worked). SO, now I think I am all set to get the HDHR Prime working with SageTV V7 on the WHS.

HOW DO YOU INSTALL SageDCT on the WHS? I see there is an MSI, but it doesn’t show up in the WHS UI when I put it in the add-in folder. I “remote desktoped” in to the WHS and tried to install it from there and it seemed to install. However, when I launch “ConfigureSageDCT” (I get the unsupported OS box, no problem) but then in the config screen, I can seem to “start” the service. When I try to start the service from the “ConfigureSageDCT” app, by clicking on the “start button” in the “Service” tab of the program, I get an error saying “Cannot start service “SageDCT on computer ‘.’. “

Is that the correct way to install SageDCT? Any hints on configuring it to work?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by moakes View Post
I am unclear and having trouble getting SageDCT running on WHS v1. I have looked at the author’s guide and on threads the forum and folks say it works, but I am unclear how to install.

BACKGROUND=> I just replaced my HDHR with an HDHR Prime. I upgraded my SageTV install from a V6 to a V7 on my WHS, and went through all of the license issues and have all that running. I went through all the challenges getting the cablecard working with Comcast (3 cards to get one that worked). SO, now I think I am all set to get the HDHR Prime working with SageTV V7 on the WHS.

HOW DO YOU INSTALL SageDCT on the WHS? I see there is an MSI, but it doesn’t show up in the WHS UI when I put it in the add-in folder. I “remote desktoped” in to the WHS and tried to install it from there and it seemed to install. However, when I launch “ConfigureSageDCT” (I get the unsupported OS box, no problem) but then in the config screen, I can seem to “start” the service. When I try to start the service from the “ConfigureSageDCT” app, by clicking on the “start button” in the “Service” tab of the program, I get an error saying “Cannot start service “SageDCT on computer ‘.’. “

Is that the correct way to install SageDCT? Any hints on configuring it to work?
SageDCT is NOT an add-in. It is just a regular program you install by double-clicking the msi. It installs as a service basically with a SageDCT Configure UI to create your settings. You'll also need to open up the Windows firewall for the ports that SageDCT will be using. Allow the SageDCT.exe and allow any protocols for all ports.

If all the recordings are on the same server then the service can use the localservice to run. You can also go into the services on the server to start it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

If I currently have an HDHomerun working with Sage V7, would adding an HDHomeRun Prime require any additional steps, or would it automatically find it when I went to Video Sources/Add Source?
Old 03-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Sage User

gplasky: Thanks. I believe I ran the "EXE" and not the "MSI". I'll go try installing the MSI instead. I did enable the port exceptions on the firewall, and the program exceptions. I will retry again Monday and report back the status. THANK YOU for the reply.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am pretty sure I just ran the setup.exe that was in the zip file. I can neither confirm nor deny this, but I have a strange feeling that I got the "Cannot start service..." when I ran it the first time after install (that just sounds too familiar when I read your post). If I did get it (again not sure), I think I restarted my server and I believe the service was running when it came back up (if not then I was able to start it). I fell this is the process that I went through. I hope all it tasks is a restart to get it going on your end.

Once it is running, go to the Discovery tab and scan for the tuners, and then Generate Assignments properties to paste in to the SageTV properties files. Next, you will need to manually add SageDCT.exe to the firewall as an exception, along with the three ports used by the three tuners as UDP. Then set them up in SageTV and enjoy. Hope this helps.
Clients: 2xHD300, 2xHD200, 2xPS, Client
SageTV/Plugins: v7.1.9, SageDCT, SRE, Comm Det, Jetty, Web Server, Mob Web, PlayOn, E/D Fav, Fav Ex, MF Stop, Enc Names
Old 10-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question

I realize that this thread is a few months old but...

I am getting ready to pull the trigger to buy an HDHR Prime but wanted to clarify a few assumptions:

1. SageDCT will work if I'm running SageTV on WHS v1
2. Comcast will likely have most non PPV channels marked as copy freely
3. Performance is solid and reliable

Also, I have a few questions about installation. Is there a wiki or FAQ for how to configure the HDHR, SageDCT, and SageTV? I noticed something about copying into the properties file but haven't read all of the SageDCT posts...

I'm not familiar with Cablecard, so I'm wondering if it's practical and possible to get this setup on WHS v1 without needing to install SageDCT on a different computer first. I'm running headless - do I need to remote in to the server or is there a web page that I access the HDHR Prime from that lets me do the pairing? Can I just pick up the card from comcast and do this without needing a courtesy call from Comcast?

Sorry for my poorly researched questions - I'm hoping someone can walk me through this.

Thanks,
uberpixel