SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

View Poll Results: SageMCTuner vs SageDCT
SageMCTuner 2 20.00%
SageDCT 8 80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Question SageMCTuner Vs SageDCT

So I have Verizon coming out tomorrow to install the CableCARD for my ceton and would like to know what the consensus is between using SageMCTuner and SageDCT?

My setup will only be used for recording.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:42 AM
Sage User

Mine is intalled on Friday

My $16 appointment to put Card A into Slot A is Friday. Let me know how it goes and what you used!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

I use SageMCTuner over SageDCT because I have packet loss problems with SageDCT. I have worked with Andy on the problem, but we have not been able to solve it. I don't have the same problems with SageMCTuner. Also, ShowAnalyzer .97 (for commercial skipping) does not work with the TS files SageDCT outputs. My packet loss problem MAY just be something unique to my rig. You can easily try them both. Just make sure to: 1. Backup your SageTV program files folder before trying, and 2. Stop the service you are not using for the test (SageDCT or SageMCTuner) or change the ports being used for SageDCT so they don't conflict.

Server: SageTV 7
Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

....of course the BIG advantages SageDCT has over SageMCTuner is fast tuning, not using more hard drive streams, and not having to have WMC services running.

Server: SageTV 7
Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Sage User

I found the MCT harder to install. The DCT was very quick to install. I did have an initial problem with gradual degratation of picture quality. However, when I set the DCT service to use an account with a password, the problem went away. The channel changes are fast and accurate. I like simple.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0628 View Post
My $16 appointment to put Card A into Slot A is Friday. Let me know how it goes and what you used!
Ok so here is the story:

Verizon Tech. came out, and installed the CableCARD and the 860 mhz LPF. Ran the WMC to setup card and could not get WMC to bring up the paring information he needed (Returned No Information Available). So I cleared all setting information with the Ceton utility, then un-installed the driver, then re-installed and ran though the setup again. This time everything worked perfectly.

I believe I caused this issue because I installed the Ceton and drivers in anticipation of the CableCARD install today. Not such a good idea.

I choose SageDCT, as it was the simplest install. However I currently am having problems playing the recordings in WMP12, without running them through VideoRedo Quick Stream Fix first. Once that is done they seem to work OK. So I need to do some investing here.

Another problem I have encountered, that is specific to my setup, is running HVR-2250's along with the Ceton. Not sure where the problem lies at this point, so it may have nothing to do with SageDCT. The problem is if there is a Ceton recording running, and the 2250 starts recording, I receive one yellow halt error for the Ceton, and shortly after the tuner recovers and start recording again (with a different file)

I think before I vote and move to SageMCTuner, I will do some investigating. Let us know how it turns out for you.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Sage User

I've had no problem with my 2250's and the Ceton card.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:06 AM

I'm new to SageTV but I'm in the process of trying it out with my InfiniTV 4 card and SageDCT in Win 7. I got it up and running and the Ceton is working fine. I'm also using two 2250's for OTA channels. The problem I'm having is that, even though I've scanned through the OTA channels for all four 2250 tuners and editied the channel list, I'm only seeing a few of the OTA channels in the guide listing. The rest of my FIOS channels are all listed the way I set them up. I contacted Andy and he said the channels lists should have merged automatically.

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread but since it was discussing SageDCT I thought it might have been a good place to post the question.

Never mind. I looked further and realized there's a whole section that discusses the EPG.

As for the original topic, I looked up SageMCT and I plan to stick with SageDCT. Waiting 15-20 seconds for channel switching is totally unacceptable.

Last edited by captain_video; 03-03-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutzy View Post
I've had no problem with my 2250's and the Ceton card.
How did you install them, specifically what I order of events?

For me the 2250's where already working and in place. So, naturally I just left those in and installed the Ceton, setup the EPG.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I'm new to SageTV but I'm in the process of trying it out with my InfiniTV 4 card and SageDCT in Win 7. I got it up and running and the Ceton is working fine. I'm also using two 2250's for OTA channels. The problem I'm having is that, even though I've scanned through the OTA channels for all four 2250 tuners and editied the channel list, I'm only seeing a few of the OTA channels in the guide listing. The rest of my FIOS channels are all listed the way I set them up. I contacted Andy and he said the channels lists should have merged automatically.

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread but since it was discussing SageDCT I thought it might have been a good place to post the question.

Never mind. I looked further and realized there's a whole section that discusses the EPG.

As for the original topic, I looked up SageMCT and I plan to stick with SageDCT. Waiting 15-20 seconds for channel switching is totally unacceptable.
I'm having all kinds of problems with the recordings that are being produced by SageDCT. Most are really screwed up in one way or another.

I briefly tried to installed and setup SageMCTuner, but that appears to failed at the conversion process..

So no love here yet..

PS: WMC appears to produce perfect recordings.

Last edited by AlphaCrew; 03-04-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Sage User

I started with the Ceton card in a new computer I had ordered to replace my three older computers. I used WMC to verify the Ceton card was working and then installed SageTV and SageDCT. Validated that Sage was working with Ceton. Then installed my two 2250's. Everything works great except that I have developed a problem with Tuner 1 on the Ceton card - more on that later. I have used all eight channels of video input to record simultaneously and have simultanuously used seven HD-200s attached to sixTVs and one music system. So far, I'm pretty satisfied.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutzy View Post
I started with the Ceton card in a new computer I had ordered to replace my three older computers. I used WMC to verify the Ceton card was working and then installed SageTV and SageDCT. Validated that Sage was working with Ceton. Then installed my two 2250's. Everything works great except that I have developed a problem with Tuner 1 on the Ceton card - more on that later. I have used all eight channels of video input to record simultaneously and have simultanuously used seven HD-200s attached to sixTVs and one music system. So far, I'm pretty satisfied.
Thanks for that info. I think I may give this a try tomorrow..
Old 03-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Sage User

I'm wondering if any of those who already have MC or DCT working can clarify a few things I'm confused on?

My setup:
WOW (my cable provider) is going all digital in a few weeks (but not SDV thankfully). I just got my Ceton card today and its going in a new server (already running Win7 Pro x64) I'm dedicating to Sage.

Issues:
1. I've read suggestions for dedicating some fast storage (RAID 0 HDDs or an SSD) for 7MC's recording directory in SageMC. Is this still needed in DCT?

2. My understanding of SageMC is that 7MC runs all the time and does the actual recording. If this is the case what are options for recording / viewing non copy-freely content? Can you still schedule SageTV to record protected content and then watch it in 7MC? If that is possible in MC is anything like that possible in DCT?
Old 03-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthilzha View Post
I'm wondering if any of those who already have MC or DCT working can clarify a few things I'm confused on?

My setup:
WOW (my cable provider) is going all digital in a few weeks (but not SDV thankfully). I just got my Ceton card today and its going in a new server (already running Win7 Pro x64) I'm dedicating to Sage.

Issues:
1. I've read suggestions for dedicating some fast storage (RAID 0 HDDs or an SSD) for 7MC's recording directory in SageMC. Is this still needed in DCT?

2. My understanding of SageMC is that 7MC runs all the time and does the actual recording. If this is the case what are options for recording / viewing non copy-freely content? Can you still schedule SageTV to record protected content and then watch it in 7MC? If that is possible in MC is anything like that possible in DCT?
Q1) My understanding is the DCT interacts directly with the Ceton card, so while you need good IO speeds, not nearly as much as with sageMCTuner.

Q2) Again my understanding is Only WMC7 has access to > 0x00 content. If you have any concerns about > 0x00 content I believe you will be forced to use WMC7.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the info - that cleared me up on the HDD requirements. Has anyone out there using SageMC tried scheduling (via Sage) a > 0x00 recording and seen if you can still view the file in 7MC?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:07 AM
Sage User

Quote:

My setup:

Issues:

Same exact boat... WOW, digital conversion, don't want that converter box junk next to Sage.

It appears that SageDCT seems to be a better choice if channel tuning takes 10+ sec. with SageMC.

Regarding the hard drives again. I have four Seagate 7200 1TB in the DVR now. THose running SageDCT, would you suggest perhaps 2 RAID0 arrays instead of four independent ones? I have two 2250's and 1 1800 currently doing HD recordings and besides the fast-forwarding error with v7, it seems to do well.

Back at who I quoted, how did your setup go with WOW?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuasiInsomniac View Post
Same exact boat... WOW, digital conversion, don't want that converter box junk next to Sage.

It appears that SageDCT seems to be a better choice if channel tuning takes 10+ sec. with SageMC.

Regarding the hard drives again. I have four Seagate 7200 1TB in the DVR now. THose running SageDCT, would you suggest perhaps 2 RAID0 arrays instead of four independent ones? I have two 2250's and 1 1800 currently doing HD recordings and besides the fast-forwarding error with v7, it seems to do well.

Back at who I quoted, how did your setup go with WOW?
After ~ 30 days of testing....

From the 2 choices, SageDCT seems better from a channel speed and system resource perspective.

Although for now, I had to abandon SageTV for use with the Ceton, and move to WMC7. Neither SageTV solution produces a usable video file outside of SageTV, and most have some kind of defect artifacts.

So far WMC7 has produced perfect recordings.

So for now SageTV handles my 2 2250's and 2 HD PVR's and WMC7 Handles the Ceton. Not the ideal setup for sure, but I'm really hoping that over time there will be a stable solution to use the Ceton with SageTV.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

My setup:

Issues:

So will this tuner record all channels with sagedct or sagemct? Will I be able to watch Showtime with this through FIOS?

EDIT: ANSWER: depends on service copy resctictions.

Last edited by The Truth; 05-08-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: answeing my own question...