SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm staying with SageTV

I'm staying with Sage TV for a year or more. While I can't expand or upgrade to new hardware, what I have works and there appears to be a solution should EPG data stop after a year. I don't believe there is anything as good as SageTV out there and don't want to spend the time fussing until it becomes necessary. Sage TV meets my needs perfectly. Hopefully Google will use it's purchase of SageTV to develop something that retains all of SageTV functionality and adds Google TV features to it. If they do, that will become the upgrade route.

I can't count on that though. What still causes me worry is on going use issues such as: 1) Sage Server hardware failure and can't locate my sage license to rebuild 2) If I do a factory reset on an extender either accidentally or on purpose thinking it would resolve an issue and need to download the latest firmware again. As far as I know that functionality depends on the Sage Internet servers the extender communicates with being in service and maintained. My HD100s don't have the option to backup to a USB stick like I think the HD300 can do. I only have one HD300 and might not be able to finish replacing the HD100s with new HD300s. The Extenders are so much better than having to maintain client PCs. I don't want to spend more time than I do now maintaining the computers I have already.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I can't count on that though. What still causes me worry is on going use issues such as: 1) Sage Server hardware failure and can't locate my sage license to rebuild
As far as licenses, I've taken to putting all of my software licenses in KeyPass on my flash drive. It's backed up semi-regularly, and about once a year I print a copy for the safety-deposit box.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy View Post
First Replay-TV now this. I know how to pick them.
You probably also used Meedio and BeyondTV
Old 06-28-2011, 11:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1234 View Post
As far as licenses, I've taken to putting all of my software licenses in KeyPass on my flash drive. It's backed up semi-regularly, and about once a year I print a copy for the safety-deposit box.
Or if you use a mail service like Gmail then it is backed up by Google plus (in my isntance) it resides in my Outlook mail file.

That is, unless Gmail decides to troll your emails for SageTV licenses and delete them. Hmmm....
Old 06-28-2011, 11:56 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm not going anywhere. As long as I get guide data I'm good to go. I never bought a colossus or hd-pvr. I'm still thinking about it. I was about to upgrade my server, but I don't even think I want to now. My current server works perfectly. The only reason I was going to upgrade was my plan to expand sage. Can't buy extenders or new client license's so there is no point now. Unless something happens.

Sage really screwed up my home theater install timeline with this news.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Sage Icon

The only way I'm bailing is if the EPG stops working and there's no hack to get it in. I only need a combined GUI for TV, DVD, BR, home videos. Hulu/Netflix are nice-to-have but not needed. I'm fine client-wise, i have 2 TVs but 9 licenses ( 3 unused software licenses, 2 HD200, 2 unused HD100, 2 HD300 en-route). My kids are asking for their own TV, so that would give me triple redundancy.

Hell, I was cool with the stock GUI from V2->V6, no way any bell or whistle from another manufacturer is going to tempt me to muck with a stable system.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Location: Stockton, CA - Most miserable city in the USA, SageTV makes it bearable
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Or if you use a mail service like Gmail then it is backed up by Google plus (in my isntance) it resides in my Outlook mail file.

That is, unless Gmail decides to troll your emails for SageTV licenses and delete them. Hmmm....
I've put my licenses in a file on Google Docs. How ironic.....
Client 1, 2, 3, and 4: HD200.
NAS: Synology DS220+ 8TB (Movie Storage)
Sage Add-ons: Jetty, Neilms Webserver (Jetty), Mobile Web, Play-On Plug-in, Comskip Plug-in
Old 06-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
How do you figure? Maybe I've not read enough but it's not out yet, and sounds pretty interesting. 5 tuner centralized "server" with clients (including some Samsung TVs, ie no box required), 1TB expandable storage.
Well it could be my total and sincere hate for DirecTV shining though?

So I may not be the best person to comment.

But from my experience I completely hated DirecTV's interface, VOD service, hidden forced renewal of their contracts for slight changes in service and especially their customer service. (If I could make that last line blink I would) Not to mention tons of DRM and a closed system that you cannot export media from. The really funny thing is I am typically very even tempered and sensible with my expectations. But, my goal is to never give them another penny I own.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm sticking with SageTV (like many others) for as long as possible on my old XP server, 2 XP clients, and HD100.

Heck, I'll keep it going even after the YouTube videos break again.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:40 PM
SageTVaholic

To be honest - those who went with PC clients are now in a better position long term as they can continue to just move their licenses when they build a new client. Those of us with extenders will have issues when/if those extenders break down since the only option to replace them is spending $400 on ebay for a new extender.

I am sincerely hoping that there aren't any capacitor issues on the extenders that crop up after a few years or many of us are screwed.

Of course this would all change if Google/Sage opened up clients so that you don't need a license in the future.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

I put this in another thread but it's also applicable here:

Quote:
My current strategy is not to see what's available to replace Sage today (because Sage's functionality today is really no different than it was a month ago) but rather wait and see what's available when I need/want functionality that Sage can no longer deliver.

Replacing Sage today is like replacing your car today because the car is going to wear out in a year or two. I don't normally buy a new car until the one I own actually needs replacing. And when my car does need replacing odds are it will be replaced with a model that doesn't even exist today.
Sage today still does everything I want. When that is no longer the case I'll see what's available.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Sage User

Gotta blame someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy View Post
First Replay-TV now this. I know how to pick them.

And lets not get into my Betamax dayz

Staying for now, much Coin spent on my system and it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
You probably also used Meedio and BeyondTV
...and watched Firefly.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

I guess the other concern is the plugins that are hosted by Sage that will disappear until we get stand alone installers and the firmware downloads/updates for the hardware extenders. There will always be cases where we need to reinstall the firmware at the very least.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm not going anywhere just yet. I only have one hd200 and at first I was going to replace all my pc clients with hd200 and hhd300's. Something told me to go with silent pc clients instead. As a matter of fact I brought 6 mini-tx boards with hdmi outs and ample cpu's to handle the task. While the idea of extenders was great I always had issues with them but never any issues with my pc clients. The only issue now is making sure I have enough licenses for my pc clients. As long as I have guide data I'm good to go.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Sage Icon

They are gonna have to pry Sage from my cold, dead hands.

Or give me an acceptable SaGoogleTV upgrade path.

S

Off topic BTW. Eric Hicks, What's up with Win Phone 7? I would really like to upgrade to it but no 4G WP7 phones plus I use outlook on my PC and sync my contacts and calender to my phone. I must have this ability but can't do that anymore if I go to WP7, WTF? I got a list but no one to listen.

S

Last edited by sleonard; 06-28-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarredduq View Post
I've put my licenses in a file on Google Docs. How ironic.....
I rebuilt my HTPC about a week before the big announcement, and it took me three days to locate all my licenses, in a bunch of email threads, on backup files, etc... they are now ALL located in Google Docs.

Maybe I should change the name of the file to something like "Mud Pie Recipes"... LOL!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thumbs down Glad You Like DVBViewer, But Why Post Here?

Quote:
Yes this is probably one of the biggest problem which might be caused by the fact that the majority of the users are germans, a few brits and several north europeans. I can assure you that the DVBViewer (even if the name hypothesize that it is only intended for european digital tv) is far more than that. It works fine with ATSC (used by myself for more than a year in Oakland CA) and IDSB (Japan, South America). Closed captions worked fine, as well as the ATSC EPG. You do not need to subscribe to an content provider, since the data is read completely from the stream. Its quite nice to have a 7 day epg without dialing up.
I really could advise to test the demo version, which is a 6mb download and comes with everything (except recording and streaming ability).

Horst
PS: I use it since 5 years and never felt that the 19 USD one time fee was too much for it. And i'm still curious to see that a 8mb Installation contains a complete HTPC solution. Okay if you want HD Skins you might download a few mb more
Is it a coincidence that your DVBViewer posts happened about the same time that Google acquired SageTV and that you joined the SageTV forum?

If you like it great, keep it. I looked around and was unimpressed by DVBViewer now or when I first started.

Quote:
7 Day epg without dialing up.
I would have to "dumb down" my Sage install to show that little. I would consider 7 days to be insufficient.

"without dialing up" bothers me, if you mean that you have to initiate the epg refresh, that stinks on ice. Sage updates the EPG periodically and frequently. The EPG gets updated constantly, so much that I have actually watched the wrong program on Comcast as far as their EPG goes.

Many of my supported devices are IP only (not UPNP).

Most of the documentation seems HTPC oriented for DVBViewer--most of the screenshots show the ability to close the program window (or "X out" of a program).

I bet that I would be able to capture less than 50% of my current programming with DVBViewer.

So what channels would I get?

Let me guess...you can't tell us for some reason or another having to do with copyright restrictions, policy, inability to enter zip codes in a database that would explain it, etc.

Quote:
the DVBViewer does not and will not support decryption in any form.
I am really, really, really not interested now.

Please start your own thread if you wish to keep trying to sell us on this. These are SageTV forums, DVBViewer has its' own forums.

I do not need a response, so do not feel like you need to leave one. My level of interest would be about the same (i.e. none).

Do not post on a cancer survivors forum if you are actually in favor of cancer.
Also, please do not leave posts on the NE Patriots fan pages if you are a Steeler, Colts, Jets or any other team's fan.

NOTE: That last reference is about North American football, which I would not expect you to get. It is clear from your diction, grammar and style that you were not born and raised in the U.S. or Canada. Your English is not bad, though.

Last edited by doncote0; 06-28-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:50 PM

MythTV

After the announcement, I have jumped to MythTV. I'm a developer/software architect, and I thought configuring MythTV was non-trivial. That said after working through all the odd instabilities and bugs it is really great. I use MythWeb and MythMote as well.

Sage is still on the other end of a dual-boot just in case, but I have given up on it.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
My current strategy is not to see what's available to replace Sage today (because Sage's functionality today is really no different than it was a month ago) but rather wait and see what's available when I need/want functionality that Sage can no longer deliver.

Replacing Sage today is like replacing your car today because the car is going to wear out in a year or two. I don't normally buy a new car until the one I own actually needs replacing. And when my car does need replacing odds are it will be replaced with a model that doesn't even exist today.

Sage today still does everything I want. When that is no longer the case I'll see what's available.
Well said, I agree completely. SageTV works - solid performance, simple easy to use interface.

I'm staying and going to be upgrading and increasing storage space.

I just hope with this news they keep the Sage client/server model in place and add GoogleTV fuctionality and apps, that would be great. Google doesn't just buy companies out of the blue, they have a plan. We'll see.
Tuners: 5 total - HDHomerun Prime via Comcast, HDHomerun
Clients: 3 x HD200, 40" LCD, 46" LCD, 60" rear pro
Old 06-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

This has been said in various forms (not all together, I don't think), but my dream scenario on all of this is:

- Brand new GoogleTV
- support for all online services (including NetFlix)
- all rolled up in a nice little box, oh wait... does that look like an HD400?
- said "box" acts like an extender to jack into your Sage 7 server...

I am in Canada so things like Boxee and Roku are basically pointless because we are not allowed to see the "secret" shows that the US networks put out.

We DO, however, have Netflix for $8 a month and one of these with HDMI out, with a Sage backend would ROCK!

I would most certainly jump on something like this without a thought.