SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Sage Icon

HTPC Won't Stay Off

I'm usually pretty good at this stuff, but this has me stumped:

Gear: Asus P5W-DH in a Zalman HD135 case (VFD with MPlay software), plugged into a TrippLite LCD 1000 UPS. I'm just using Vista's Power Management to shut down the machine...no TrippLite software. I have an HDHR Direct Connected to one LAN port, and the GigE network plugged into the other.

Problem: When I choose "Shutdown" from the Vista menu, the computer will shut down and stay that way for about 10 seconds...then it will turn back on.

So far I've:

1) Made sure the BIOS has no "Wake On..." features enabled.

2) Tried both "Power On" and "Last State" for BIOS actions after power return (I don't want "Power Off", even if it works...defeats the purpose).

3) Unchecked "Allow this device to wake computer" for every piece of hardware that allows it, in Device Manager.

4) Disabled any WOL (Magic Packet, Pattern Match, etc...) for both Marvell GigE adapters.

5) Tried 3 different BIOS', ending with the latest 2801 for this board.

Stumped

Last edited by Polypro; 11-29-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Sage User

I know you have everything disabled on the LAN adapters, but just out of curiosity, will it stay off if both NICs are unplugged?
Old 11-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Do you have a wireless keyboard or mouse? If so this could be your problem and you will need to go into device manager and set power management options for these USB devices to "not allow this device to wake". Sometime these are hard to find as there are several USB devices in device manager.

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit

Last edited by Steve52; 11-29-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had that problem--wireless keyboard and mouse and was never able to rectify it (Vista Home). I'm now using a wired keyboard and mouse. No problem.

However, the original poster said that the computer shuts down (for 10 seconds), but then restarts. I've actually not seen *that* happen before (shutdown completed, then restart), so I'd be interested to know if it actually gets to the powered-off state. Normally, as far as I know, you can't wake a computer up from a powered-off state. So, the keyboard idea above would not seem to be relevant.

I'm just guessing here, but I suppose the computer never gets to that state. If this is the case, I would guess it could be numerous things: application incompatibility, hardware incompatibility, driver conflict/problem. Under those circumstances, I'd be looking in the Event Viewer to see if there are any errors that I can track back to a source of the problem. Also, Vista, like XP, apparently restarts automatically if it encounters an error (BSOD kind of thing), so you might also try disabling that feature to see if you get any useful information when you shut down.

One last suggestion would be to just make sure your drivers are up to date, especially those for your graphics card.

Anyways, I could be way off base here, but since I couldn't see whether you've tried or considered this stuff, I thought I'd post it.

Best of luck

Steve
Old 11-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven017 View Post
I had that problem--wireless keyboard and mouse and was never able to rectify it (Vista Home). I'm now using a wired keyboard and mouse. No problem.

However, the original poster said that the computer shuts down (for 10 seconds), but then restarts. I've actually not seen *that* happen before (shutdown completed, then restart), so I'd be interested to know if it actually gets to the powered-off state. Normally, as far as I know, you can't wake a computer up from a powered-off state. So, the keyboard idea above would not seem to be relevant.

I'm just guessing here, but I suppose the computer never gets to that state. If this is the case, I would guess it could be numerous things: application incompatibility, hardware incompatibility, driver conflict/problem. Under those circumstances, I'd be looking in the Event Viewer to see if there are any errors that I can track back to a source of the problem. Also, Vista, like XP, apparently restarts automatically if it encounters an error (BSOD kind of thing), so you might also try disabling that feature to see if you get any useful information when you shut down.

One last suggestion would be to just make sure your drivers are up to date, especially those for your graphics card.

Anyways, I could be way off base here, but since I couldn't see whether you've tried or considered this stuff, I thought I'd post it.

Best of luck

Steve
I don't know what the op's problem really is, but my computer would go to sleep and then wake up on it's own in about 10 or so minutes. It was caused by the USB wireless keyboard/mouse which would send out a signal every so often to maintain contact with the host UBS device connected to the computer. Changing the power management settings fixed the problem, but as a result you could no longer wake the computer by using the mouse or keyboard.

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit
Old 11-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi, Steve52. I'm not really sure what you meant here by your post. Was it to me (suggested solution for my wireless issue)? Or are you offering it as a suggestion to the OP? I had the same experience with reference to Sleep and a wireless desktop set. I gave up on it and now use it with another computer.

As I tried to indicate, I'm not sure of the relevance here, as the OP specifically said "Shutdown," which is not Sleep mode. As I'm sure you know, Sleep mode (S3) is a low power state, but is not the same as Shutdown.

Anyways, that's what led me to my other speculations.

Polypro:
Actually, I just thought of something that's maybe really too simple, but you never know. In the Start Menu in Vista, it's really easy to press the wrong button to Shutdown your computer if you are not really paying attention. The button that looks like it is the Shut Sown button is actually the Sleep button. You have to select Shut Down from the list of options in the menu on the far right. Just a thought. Are you actually selecting Shut Down and not pressing the Sleep button?

Steve

Last edited by steven017; 11-30-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Like the poster above says. Make sure you're not using what looks like a power button on the Vista menu. Because it's not. It's a sleep button. You need to go over to the arrow on the far right bottom and choose shutdown.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:50 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the suggestions. The computer definitely reaches a power off state...as it POSTs on restart. It's gotta be something in the BIOS that I'm missing or the Zalman Media Home Control software for the VFD. Thanks again.

P
Old 11-30-2008, 07:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Polypro,

I've been doing some googling about your mobo, and I think I might have found something.

It seems that at least one (two I think: 3 and 4) of the rear USB ports is always powered on that board, whether your computer's on or off (http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx...Language=en-us). That could be your issue. That function is designed to allow you to be able to turn your computer on/off with the included remote.

Here's a quote from the Asus site (http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?mo...3&l2=11&l3=248): "With the touch of a button, users can quickly power their PCs on/off, put the computer into suspend mode, and turn the computer noise down."

I've read that some people have had trouble with that function, even when not using the remote.

If you've got anything plugged into those ports, try unplugging them, and see if you can shut down properly.

Steve

Last edited by steven017; 11-30-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

I had this exact same problem: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37096
Old 11-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven017 View Post
Hi Polypro,

I've been doing some googling about your mobo, and I think I might have found something....

Steve

Nice find! Thanks...I'll check it out tomorrow.
P
Old 11-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

I should correct my previous post. I am not sure if this is the same problem I have. But I can repeat the problem. If I restart my server, it will come out of standby after 30 seconds to 1 minute. If I unplug my HDHR and immediately plug it back in while the server is running. The problem is solved, it will only come out of standby to record a program or when the HD extenders try to connect to the server.

Of course, if I restart the server, then I also need to repeat that procedure again on the HDHR.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Sage Icon

That was it. I had the UPS plugged into port 4. Thanks for the detective work my friend.

P
Old 12-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonen View Post
I should correct my previous post. I am not sure if this is the same problem I have. But I can repeat the problem. If I restart my server, it will come out of standby after 30 seconds to 1 minute. If I unplug my HDHR and immediately plug it back in while the server is running. The problem is solved, it will only come out of standby to record a program or when the HD extenders try to connect to the server.

Of course, if I restart the server, then I also need to repeat that procedure again on the HDHR.
I can repeat simonen's problem as well. My work-around was to:

1) Activate second LAN port on my mobo (Marvell 1Gbps).
2) Plug HDHR via Cat5e into this other port
3) Deactivate all WOL on this port, but leave WOL activated my other port (NVidia attached to my router..DLink DIR-655 with FW 1.21). My settings for for the Nvidia port are (magic packet and pattern on, allow to bring out of standby is checked and management station option is unchecked).
4) Install AnyService Add-In on WHS and configure HDHR Manager to be a service
5) ADDED Disabled Wake-On-PCI activity in the BIOS since the extra Marvell port is on the PCI bus.

This setup as configured above allows my Sage/WHS server to:
1) go to sleep after 15 min of idle (setting in Windows Power Management)
2) wake up the server 3 min before a recording (set in Sage) then go into S3 15 min after finish or at idle (from above)
3) be awoken by my extenders on LAN activity via the nvidia GBit LAN when I hit the power button on the remote
4) Record from the HDHR via the other network port, which is isolated from the router and the rest of the network (I have HDHR updates turned off)
5) wake-up via scheduled task at 4AM to do Drive Extender stuff as well as auto updates (configured for this time) and backups of other pc's then goes back to S3 after 15 min of idle.

Hope this helps someone with a similar problem with a similar setup.

Jay

Last edited by jayman; 12-01-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Glad to know I am not the only one seeing this. My guess is that it has something to do with the HDHR firmware I am using: Release 20081030beta1.

I was having a problem with my HDHR with a blinking green light and losing recordings. Since I did not have the problematic power supply, they recommended this beta firmware, which I believe was around the same time I started having this problem, but not certain on that since I was not putting it into standby at that time.

Maybe I should try a newer firmware!

Last edited by simonen; 12-01-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

It's great to hear it worked. Incidentally, does the same thing happen when you plug other stuff into that port (not a keyboard or mouse, of course)? It might be useful info for others if they have the same trouble.

Steve
Old 12-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Sage Icon

I didn't have a KB or Mouse plugged in to 3/4, they were plugged into a PCI USB card. The TrippLite UPS was the only thing. The only other USB device I have is the MCE IR Receiver.

P