SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Sage User

Confused about remapping channels (Sage noob)

Hello,

Setting up my electronic programming guide is becoming a nightmare. My setup is as follows:

I have two 2250 tuner cards. So I have 8 sources:

* Standard Cable (Analog) two 2250 cards, four physical inputs
* Clear QAM Cable (Digital) same two 2250 cards, four physical inputs

Here is what I want to do:

HD channel 82.5 on the digital side is the same programming as channel 9 on the analog side. I cannot get an EPG for channel 82.5. So, all I need to do is tell Sage TV to use the EPG from channel 9 for HD channel 82.5. When I set up the EPG for the digital side I did a channel scan and then use the digital EPG for my local cable company. Those clear QAM channels have no EPG but the lower channels (channel 9) are correctly filled out. There is just no digital video feed for those lower channels. They are on the analog side. What I have tried is this:

Click Set up video sources> digital video source> channel set up> click 82.5> remap channel>Logical (guide) channel. I set it to 8. The EPG data for 8 then disappears and “no data”.

I’d like for the HD channel 82.5 to just replace channel 9. At some point in time I was able to get some of the HD Digital channel guides (incorrectly numbered) imported into other HD channels but I haven’t been able to repeat the process. This is way more complicated than it needs to be, IMO.

I can only figure three things I need to do in regards to remapping channels.
1. Copy a channels EPG data to another channel.
2. Replace channel “A” with channel “B” preserving the EPG of “A”.
3. Replace channel “A” with channel “B” preserving the EPG of “B”.

I would sure like to know the step by step procedure for each of these tasks.
Cheers!
Rick

Last edited by rjudge; 02-20-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:47 PM
SageTVaholic

What you want to do is select 82.5, choose Remap Channel, then choose Remap Station, and select the channel 9 callsign in the list. this will tell it that the physical channel it found in the scan as 82.5, IS the same station. no logical remapping required. You will only have a Ch 9 in the guide, as it will combine them, but it will use either tuner to tune those stations.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the answer, Fuzzy,

Like I said. This doesn't seem to be easy and straightforward for me. I go to Setup > Video Sources > Source #4 (Digital) > Channel 82.5 > Remap Channel > Remap Station. When I select Channel 9, Sage then asks "Would you like to remap the Logical number for the channel on this lineup to 9?" "Yes - Remap the Logical number to 4 on this lineup." "No - Keep the logical number of 82-5 on this lineup" I’m assuming this means: “Proceed? Y/N” but there’s also a “Cancel”, so there’s two “No” answers if I’m correct. Or does “Yes” mean replace 9 with 82.5 and “No” mean copy the Guide from 9 to 82.5?

I give up on the meaning of the question and I selected Yes. Now, when I use the Channel Guide to view channel 9 I get some channel that's not channel 9 or the HD 82.5 version of channel 9. If I look at Channel 9 on the digital video sources, the setup page says Logical = Channel 9, Physical Channel 82.5 as it seems it should. On the Analog video source side, Channel 9 both physical and logical. I've tried with analog channel 9 enabled and disabled. No difference. This is somewhat frustrating. One thing that may save me, I'm switching to DirecTV. I sure hope all the channels download from the EPG correctly and I can just hook the 2250s up to the tuners and all works.

Honestly, I’m a physician, I build PCs and I’ve programed quite a lot in the distant past. I evaluate Hospital Information systems for purchase. I like SageTV overall, but this part of it escapes me.

I’ll post on how the switch to DirecTV goes. I’m planning on three or four HD receivers. Two HD and two SD coming Wed. Wish me luck, I hope I don’t need it. ;-)

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
What you want to do is select 82.5, choose Remap Channel, then choose Remap Station, and select the channel 9 callsign in the list. this will tell it that the physical channel it found in the scan as 82.5, IS the same station. no logical remapping required. You will only have a Ch 9 in the guide, as it will combine them, but it will use either tuner to tune those stations.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:09 AM
SageTVaholic

The question gives you three options. First, Change your physical 82.5 channel to channel 9, and renumber it logically as 9 also. The second, Change your physical 82.5 channel to channel 9, but leave it logically at channel 82.5. The third, don't remap anything.

If you understand the concepts of how sage handle channels - the difference between a station (the actual broadcast and epg data), the physical number (what it uses to TUNE the station), and the logical number (the placement in the channel guide), then the question makes more sense. Plus it is described in great detail in Ch 5 of the manual, installed with your sagetv software.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room