SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 02-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Sage Icon

inSSIDer Graph

I’ve been trying to find the best location for my WAP. So I thought I would try this program inSSIDer to see where my signals are the best, and where I should place my WAP for best general performance., First of all, if there’s a different better program for this let me know. I’m just messing around.

I’m wondering if anyone here can share some comments or interpretation of the following graph:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...inSSIDer-1.png

My neighbors wifi in yellow is all over the place. What does this mean? Is their activity impacting me at all? It seems pretty sporadic compared to mine and others in the area...

Any ideas?

Last edited by wrems; 02-09-2011 at 08:44 AM. Reason: wide inline image changed to link
Old 02-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrems View Post
I’ve been trying to find the best location for my WAP. So I thought I would try this program inSSIDer to see where my signals are the best, and where I should place my WAP for best general performance., First of all, if there’s a different better program for this let me know. I’m just messing around.

I’m wondering if anyone here can share some comments or interpretation of the following graph:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...inSSIDer-1.png

My neighbors wifi in yellow is all over the place. What does this mean? Is there activity impacting me at all? It seems pretty sporadic compared to mine and others in the area...

Any ideas?
Thanks for the link...

AS far as interference, I prefer the Channel tabs (2.4 & 5 GHz) for letting me know if I can expect interference. In reality, since signal strength is a logarithmic scale, from your graphic, the neighbors network signal strength really shouldn't interfere with your (green?) network.

However, to be neighborly, I try to minimize my impact on other networks by controlling my signal strength via dd-wrt on my WAPs..
Old 02-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Sage Icon

I'll check out those other tabs too. Do you know why the neighbors yellow graph would be so sporadic? It seems like it should be a little straighter. Right?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrems View Post
I'll check out those other tabs too. Do you know why the neighbors yellow graph would be so sporadic? It seems like it should be a little straighter. Right?
to me that means your neighbors access point is fluctuating its power output all the time... or something is regularly blocking the signal...
Check out TVExplorer