SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Batch Metadata Tools
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Batch Metadata Tools This forums is for discussing the user-created Batch Metadata Tools for SageTV.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Installation procedure for fanart

I am trying to get fanart working with sage tv, do I go about installing Phoenix, jetty web server and BMT in that order before I load the Diamond Theme?

Is there anything else I need to do after that other then configure the plugins and tweak the diamond theme?

I would really like to get fanart working once and for all to it shows the banners instead of the name of the show like it does at default.

Are there any other plugins I need to install to get fanart showing up and do I need to shut down the server after I install all the above to get it working so I don't need to touch it again

As it is now I am starting clean as last night I uninstalled sage tv 7 and deleted the sagetv directory and am restarting from scratch in hopes I can get a procedure of what to install to get fanart up and running all the time and not just part time.
Trallyus
Old 01-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Sage Icon

Batch Metadata Tools - Start Here should answer most (all) of you questions

SageTV7 Plugins that use BMT
will give you a list of the plugins that take advantage of phoenix fanart
Check out TVExplorer
Old 01-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
Batch Metadata Tools - Start Here should answer most (all) of you questions

SageTV7 Plugins that use BMT
will give you a list of the plugins that take advantage of phoenix fanart
I did start there razrsharpe but after having the jetty webserver configuration under webserver address saying "Clipboard unavailable for Server Plugins" when installing BMT I finally reinstalled version 6 of sage tv from scratch and then did the upgrade thing with version 7 of sage 7 without copying my old wiz.bin file over and I think I finally got it working.

By the way the stuff you linked to does not tell you how to get the setup/detailed setup/fanart menu back that I used to have unless that gets installed under another plugin.

Trallyus
Old 01-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trallyus View Post
By the way the stuff you linked to does not tell you how to get the setup/detailed setup/fanart menu back that I used to have unless that gets installed under another plugin.

Trallyus
i dont think that menu exists anymore.... i think if you install phoenix fanart for sage7 that will have configuration options to set the central fanart folder and if phoenix fanart is enabled on that client and such... other plugins that display fanart may or may not have the ui options to set those options either....
Check out TVExplorer
Old 01-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks razrsharpe,
I am not gonna mess with fanart anymore until someone writes up one of those noob tutorials as I ended up having to reformat to get sage tv back to normal.

Sorry for bothering you and everyone else.
Trallyus
Old 01-25-2011, 07:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Is this still too complex? I wrote this up hoping that it would be great for new comers (it's linked form the "start here" post)
Old 01-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
as I ended up having to reformat to get sage tv back to normal.
if you don't have a backup and recovery solution setup i would highly recommend you look into one (i personally recommend acronis). This way when i try out plugins/etc or other setup and i screw something up it takes me 10 min to get back to a completely working setup.
Check out TVExplorer
Old 01-26-2011, 04:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Is this still too complex? I wrote this up hoping that it would be great for new comers (it's linked form the "start here" post)
Stuckless,
I had BMT working partially but the jetty webserver kept giving me problems. It's probably due to installing playon or some other plugins that use the jetty web server.

I may get acronis like razrsharpe suggested before messing with it again First I need to get my computer back to normal with all the updates and stuff.
Trallyus
p.s. from your write up it looks like I found my problem. I usally install jettty web server before I install bmt and I seem I have to do that 2nd.

Last edited by trallyus; 01-26-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

Went out and bought acronis and am doing a total backup and then I will try your tutorial to get the fanart working - Thanks for both your help as I appreciate it.
Trallyus
Old 01-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
if you don't have a backup and recovery solution setup i would highly recommend you look into one (i personally recommend acronis). This way when i try out plugins/etc or other setup and i screw something up it takes me 10 min to get back to a completely working setup.
I hate to ask, but do the sage tv plugins make changes to the registry, as I was thinking I could just use acronis to back up the sage tv directory and then install the plugins and if it does not work like last time I could restore the directory back to the original settings.

Are there any other sage tv directories other then the the one in program files x86 directory that I need to monitor?

Also when I install bmt, I also usally install the sagetv web interface that downloads jetty webserver as well that may have screwed me up before.

I assume since they both down the web server that I have 2 copies of it and thats why it messed up the first time. Is there a way to install both BMT and the sage tv web interface and have them play nicely?

Trallyus
Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I hate to ask, but do the sage tv plugins make changes to the registry, as I was thinking I could just use acronis to back up the sage tv directory and then install the plugins and if it does not work like last time I could restore the directory back to the original settings.

Are there any other sage tv directories other then the the one in program files x86 directory that I need to monitor?
honestly i would make an image of your entire boot drive (C:\) and restore that... that way you guarantee that you recovering to a completely known state... i would also never store persistent data on a boot drive... (documents, pictures, videos, movies, mp3s, etc)... Only OS and programs on the boot drive... the restore's are much smaller this way.

I don't think plugins make changes to the registry but can't say 100%.

Quote:
Also when I install bmt, I also usally install the sagetv web interface that downloads jetty webserver as well that may have screwed me up before.

I assume since they both down the web server that I have 2 copies of it and thats why it messed up the first time. Is there a way to install both BMT and the sage tv web interface and have them play nicely?

Trallyus
When doing installations via the plugin manager (the only recommended way to install/uninstall plugins in sage7) all dependencies are figured out so it's impossible to have 2 copies of the jetty webserver running.... ie when you install bmt it checks to see if its dependencies are already installed (ie jetty, and some other plugins). If jetty already exists it will not install it again. Likewise when you install the web interface if the jetty webserver exists already it will not install it.
Check out TVExplorer
Old 01-26-2011, 09:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Having installed BMT 100s of times (I'm not kidding)... My installation procedure is as follows...

Install BMT web ui, which isntalls jetty, phoenix, etc.
Install Sage Web Webserver
Install Sage Mobile Webserver

Jetty is a "dependency" used by BMT, Sage Web Application, Mobile Web Application (and probably others, like SJQ, etc). This does not result in a multiple copies. Jetty is downloaded and isntalled once, and then bmt is installed, which uses the Jetty server.

This is like the phoenix.jar that provides fanart apis. Many plugins use it, but it doesn't result in many copies. There is still a single phoenix.jar, and all plugins share it.

I think your experience with installing Jetty, BMT, etc, is probably unique and rare. In every case that I've done, I simply install bmt, navigate to the URL, and it's there.

Your success of installing bmt will probably vary depending on if you are upgrading from Sage6, or installing it in a new setup. These are 2 very different cases, and upgrading from sage6 will be prone to errors, but I tried to help out there, by providing a tool that would completely remove the old install before installing the new version.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks to both of you and I made a backup of my entire system. Now I will try playing with the plugins to get them working by following the directions you both gave me.
Trallyus

Update - Ok - At first only the sage tv web interface was working but after totally shutting down sage tv and sage tv services and rebooting I can now log in to bmt as well as the sage tv web interface. Now to install the plugin for the fanart and metadata.

By the way , should I ignore this message in bmt ? "System Messages

Clear All
Wed Jan 26 11:19:49 GMT-500 2011 - Batch Metadata Tools updated

Phoenix Metadata has been installed and the legacy bmt files/plugin have been removed.

By the way, I loaded up the diamond theme after verifying that BMT amd the Saget TV Web Interface was working and after I updated the fan art on my recorded tv shows and turned on diamond view and it seems to be just what I want Thanks stuckless and razrsharpe for all the help Now to do another full back up just in case

"

Last edited by trallyus; 01-26-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
By the way , should I ignore this message in bmt ? "System Messages

Wed Jan 26 11:19:49 GMT-500 2011 - Batch Metadata Tools updated
Phoenix Metadata has been installed and the legacy bmt files/plugin have been removed.
That's a message that you'll get when you install the Sage7 plugin over top a Sage6 upgrade. It basically just letting you know that it removed the legacy bmt files. It's informational.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks again. One last question and I will be out of everyones hair It seems that fanart is working so far, except is there times it does not work ?

The reason I ask this is I wanted to make sure BMT was working so I recorded an old episode of leave it beaver and the diamond theme is showing the fanart as the background but it is not showing the series banner artwork like the 3 episodes of stargate sg1 is.

Is this because leave it to beaver has no series banner artwork on the server I am downloading from and stargate sg1 does or is there some other reason for this.

It's showing the stargate sg1 series banner artwork and I just checked in the artwork folder to see if leave it to beaver series banner artwork was there as well and it was in the artwork folder as well but not showing up when viewing my shows.

This was one of the main reasons I messed up before as some of my artwork would show up with the diamond theme and some of it would not no matter what I did.

Is there a way to fix this as now half the fanart is showing up and half isn't and I never knew why it did this or how to fix it?
Trallyus

P.S. forget me asking why only half the artwork was working. After much reading on the diamond theme thread I found out there is no artwork with single show recordings and the artwork only shows up with 2 or more episodes of the same show. That was what messed me over before and I kept loading stuff to fix it until sage became unstable.

Last edited by trallyus; 01-26-2011 at 06:31 PM.