SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hauppauge HD-PVR vs. 1212 HD-PVR

I bought my HD-PVR soon after it first came out. I am ready to buy another one and I find there are two versions - the regular HD-PVR which looks like the one I already own and the 1212 HD-PVR which I have not seen before and is cheaper... I can't seem to get a good answer as to the difference between the two and which one I should get. Any suggestions?

I did have a lot of trouble getting the HD-PVR stable when it first came out, but with the new firmware and Sage 7, it has been bulletproof (crossing fingers). Last thing I want to do is get the "trouble" version. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Sage Fanatic

Model 1212 and HDPVR are the same.
SERVER: Win 7 x64/i7-860/Zotac H55ITX-C-E/Corsair H70/CFI a7879 case/12 TB Pooled with Drive Bender. DVBLogic: streaming HDPVR content to SageTV, WMC Clients, NPVR Clients, Remote Computers & iphone. 2ea HDPVR, 3ea HDHomeRun, 2ea VIP211

Last edited by jerryt; 11-08-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
Model 1212 and HDPVR are the same.
Ahhhh.... no wonder I couldn't find a comparison. Funny how Amazon /Buy.com and other show both items for sale - must be left over inventory. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Sage Icon

Hauppauge often makes slightly different versions for different markets... According to their website they have 2 models of HD-PVR available (exactly the same except for the manuals):
Model numbers

model 01212: HD PVR, with English manual
model 01219: HD PVR, with English and French manuals
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 11-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroBox View Post
I did have a lot of trouble getting the HD-PVR stable when it first came out, but with the new firmware and Sage 7, it has been bulletproof (crossing fingers). Last thing I want to do is get the "trouble" version. Thanks.
What "firmware" are you speaking of? All I see on their website is driver version 1.5.7.0. Don't see any firmware listed...

I have had my HDPVR for a week and I have had two lockups with it. When I say "lockup" I mean it sometimes won't begin recording for whateve reason. I have to turn it off and turn it back on to get it to begin working again.

Starting to get the feeling that the HDPVR is a "second-rate" piece of equipment, especially with all the negative posts I see about it here on the boards. But there is still nothing else that will do what it does so I digress...
Old 11-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

The HD-PVR is hit or miss. If you get one that works, they REALLY work well but in the inverse you can have the exact opposite experience. I had (2), one worked well, the other I had to RMA twice. If you are planning on not doing 5.1 audio you should be fine. If you are then that is where the troubles can begin. Make sure you have ample cooling and spacing. Some have taken the covers off with good results. Also separating multiple HD-PVRs on their own USB bus or getting a USB add-on card for the PC can alleviate a good deal of issues.

Here are the older versions of the software:

Older HD-PVR software
Old 11-09-2010, 07:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggen View Post
What "firmware" are you speaking of? All I see on their website is driver version 1.5.7.0. Don't see any firmware listed...
When you run the executable for the driver update (never just update the driver) the executable both upgrades the driver and the firmware on the HD-PVR.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetreL View Post
The HD-PVR is hit or miss. If you get one that works, they REALLY work well but in the inverse you can have the exact opposite experience. I had (2), one worked well, the other I had to RMA twice. If you are planning on not doing 5.1 audio you should be fine. If you are then that is where the troubles can begin. Make sure you have ample cooling and spacing. Some have taken the covers off with good results. Also separating multiple HD-PVRs on their own USB bus or getting a USB add-on card for the PC can alleviate a good deal of issues.
Yes, I went through 2 RMA's as well on my original unit and kind of gave up on getting it to stabilize until the new firmware + driver came out (1.5.7.0) - worked great for months now. So, here we are again looking to add a new HD-PVR and start a brand new odyssey with it... hopefully not. As someone far wiser than me one said about having a perfectly working system and nothing to - “continue to fix it until it’s broke”. And here we go again.