SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

hauppauge pvr 1212 blaster crashing

Hi all

I'm brand new to sagetv, attempting to use it to replace my two replaytvs.

I've got an hd pvr 1212 and i want to use its blaster to control a motorola FIOS cable box.

When i do the test send on the blastcfg program, one digit gets through, and then the box locks up (no more digits, the blastcfg software hangs, the box doesn't provide video any more.)

I've been reading through the setup guide for just what i'm trying to do on this forum, but i haven't found anyone else with this lockup problem.
I've tried firmware 1.5.6.1 and 1.0.5.301, both have the same lockup results.
Edit: Just tried 1.5.6.0, same problem.

Windows XP sp3
Pentium core 2 quad
2gb ram
newest downloads of all other software (3 ir programs, sage, etc)

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to get past this super-early problem so i can evaluate whether or not i want to keep going in this direction.

thanks!

edit: Still having the same trouble. Tomorrow, i'll try another PC. I emailed hauppauge, we'll see what they have to say.

Anyone have any ideas?

This all seems so tenuous... it seems like a working hauppauge system is a rarity here... I really want to get the PVR to work because i want to record my cable box's HD, but if it isn't going to be reliable...

Last edited by ericscottf; 12-26-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Sage Icon

What instructions are you following? Part of the problems is that there is very little written instructions for installing the HD-PVR with Sage.

I've made my own "How To Install" thread to help people set up their HD-PVRs. There are a couple of surprising steps that are not intuitive and most people would not do on their own.

A link to the thread is located in my signature.

If this is the set of instructions you have been following, then please let us know. If it is not, then I would strongly recommend that you use the HCWClear software and start over using my directions. It seems to clear up any problems that most people see.

Welcome to the forums.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 12-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the response
This is the thread i followed instructions from:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44511
That's yours, i believe.

My (current) problem seems to be one i can't find anyone else having -- that when an IR command is sent to the unit, it gets out one digit then completely hangs up.

I'm going to try another PC shortly, and i've got an email out to hauppauge asking about this as well.

Have you heard of such a problem?

Oh, and a slightly related question, given some of what you wrote in your install: Is it possible to have two HD PVRs control two cable boxes with their own IR blasters? You wrote that the last hauppauge device to be installed "gets" the IR blaster feature, so is it the case that i won't be able to control two cable boxes with two different PVRs with their own IR each?

thanks

Last edited by ericscottf; 12-27-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Sage Icon

Yes, that is my thread. So it looks like you are already following them.

I have not seem this behavior before. Is it possible to tell if the STB or the blaster is the problem. I assume it is the blaster since the Hauppauge software seems to hang as well.

If you change the remote code to another device and press the test button, does it seem to work or does it get hung up on the first number? If you look at the emitters with a digital camera, you'll be able to see the emitter blink since the camera can pick up IR frequencies.

Regarding two HD-PVRs - you will not be able to use the built in blaster with more than one Hauppauge device (regardless of type), so you cannot use it with two HD-PVRs.

To control more than one STB, I would highly recommend getting a USB-UIRT. It is a third party IR receiver and three zone emitter. So you can hook up to three idential STB's and send a IR signal to each one in it's own zone, so it doesn't effect the other boxes.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Old 12-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

I guess i'll just get two UIRTs. (i've been researching a move to my next DVR system for about two years, so i'm familiar with all but the most intricate of the problems that i'll encounter, as well as the various technologies.
I hadn't stumbled across the no-multiple-blasters problem for the PVR. Hauppauge is really doing a half-assed job on this box, aren't they?

My Blasters have a red led that flickers when it is transmitting ir data, and i can see the first number go through... then nothing.
I've tried several different codesets, all of them crash after the first digit.
I've tried changing the "Advanced" numbers to slow down the sending of the IR Data, that doesn't fix the problem either.

All i want is to have the ability to record *any* (from news to the science channel) two channels at once in SD with the option to record HD in the future when i upgrade my TVs. Cable boxes are mandatory in my area, nothing is clear.

Is there any other PVR to try? I am under the impression that, given my "requirements", this is what i have to use, but i hate spending money on such a poorly programmed box (i mean the hauppauge -- i love the sage media extender!)

edit: There is something wrong with/different about the computer i am attempting to use. Installing the hauppauge pvr on another computer results in happy-IR blasting from the unit. *ugh*

Last edited by ericscottf; 12-27-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Okay, got it working on my media system.

Posting this just in case anyone else ever has this problem:

If your Hauppauge USB PVR crashes after sending one digit via its own internal IR blaster

Check that your USB root hub is HI SPEED (not full speed) and that your USB drivers are completely updated.
If, when you plug in your PVR, you have the gray arrow usb icon in the lower right and clicking on it warns you that you don't have any HI speed usb ports in your computer, check your drivers and your bios settings for your USB functionality.

Lastly, you may need to turn off "legacy" in the bios for USB.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Sage Icon

Good to hear you got it working. You'll still need to look into a USB-UIRT if you want more than 1 HD-PVR. But at least you could use the built in blaster if you should want to for one device.
OpenDCT