SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 Review- Need Feedback

Guys,
I know these questions have been asked on this forum in one form or another, but I need to know your current impression of the HD-PVR right now given the current version of the device and driver you are using.

I'm working on a more complete Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 Review with the focus on using SageTV, BeyondTV and GB-PVR to run it. I've had my own experiences with the device (I have a first generation unit) and have it mostly working for me, but want to hear from others here on their experience.

If you can, tell me a few things about your HD-PVR experience:
  1. Which version do you have? (C1, C2 etc)
  2. How many HD-PVRs are you using? (1, 2 more)
  3. With your current one (if you had to return one, focus on the latest one you have now) do you have lockups?
  4. How do you handle channel changes with the HD-PVR? packaged Hauppauge IR blaster, USBUIRT, Firewire, other?
  5. With your channel change setup how is it working for you?
  6. What driver version are you using?
  7. Any other problems you are experiencing now with the HD-PVR?
  8. How well is it working on your clientPC, Extender etc? Mention the specs of the playback machine if relevant.
  9. Tell me your overall, bottom-line impression of your HD-PVR. Hate it, A pain but worth it, like it, love it etc.
Any other comments would be helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by Brent; 10-23-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Sage Icon

I have 2 C2 units in service for 2+ months with SageTV and have not had a failure in the last 2 months. Most of that time was with the default driver from June 13th?. The last three days only I've been using the new 1.1 driver. I use the Patterson serial control cables. I am using only Clients for playback (1 Vista SP1 and 1 XP Pro SP3) with quad cpu in the XP and core 2 duo in the vista. My playback with the old driver was excellent on both computers, but with the new driver I get some judder in text crawl on the Vista machine only, that wasn't there with the old driver. Picture looks fine with both.

I LOVE the HD PVR and get really great looking recordings (after having some issues for the first few weeks that upgrading some of my equipment solved).

EDIT: Note: FYI, I run scheduled shutdowns for a few hours each day.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT

Last edited by HelenWeathers; 10-23-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Guys,
I know these questions have been asked on this forum in one form or another, but I need to know your current impression of the HD-PVR right now given the current version of the device and driver you are using.

I'm working on a more complete Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 Review with the focus on using SageTV, BeyondTV and GB-PVR to run it. I've had my own experiences with the device (I have a first generation unit) and have it mostly working for me, but want to hear from others here on their experience.

If you can, tell me a few things about your HD-PVR experience:

I have a Rev D Unit from Fry's 2 weeks old.

I have 1 Unit
  3. With your current one (if you had to return one, focus on the latest one you have now) do you have lockups?

I get a lockup every 2-3 days and I just have to power cycle the unit and it wakes up.
  4. How do you handle channel changes with the HD-PVR? packaged Hauppauge IR blaster, USBUIRT, Firewire, other?

IR blaster problems if the balster is not glued to the IR Receiver on my VIP612. It has been working fine for 2 weeks now.

Channel changes are slow due to the long loop. More important is if SAGE can change the channel for recordings and it does. So that's very good

Using the latest REV 1.1

Stereo Audio is fine. SPDIF audio has jitter. I have Sage and Hauppauge looking into this. I suspect that I may have a bad unit.
  8. How well is it working on your clientPC, Extender etc? Mention the specs of the playback machine if relevant.

I only have a single HTPC machine (waiting for 1 extender for upstairs)
    ASUS M2NE Board with integrated Max Sound and Electrical SPDIF RCA output
    4 G Main Mem
    4 TB Hard Drives
    ATI 3850 Graphics with latest drivers
    WinTV 1800 ATSC Card for OTA Channels (Works great !!!)
    StreamZAP Remote (Very realiable has only hung 1 time in 6 weeks of use)
    USB UIRT is on Order
    Haromony 670 Universal Remote on Order
    Win XP SP3 (32bit)
    Sage 6.4.8
    AC3 Audio Filter
    PDVD 7

9. Tell me your overall, bottom-line impression of your HD-PVR. Hate it, A pain but worth it, like it, love it etc.

I am suprised by the Video qaulity. 2 Channel Audio is good. SPDIF not working is a show stopper for me.

Overall I could live with the UNIT as is, since the Sage Integration works pretty well.

I am a little dissapointed by the SPDIF problem given that this is 10 year old technology and should not be so difficult. Hauppauge has the wrong priorities. I am not sure how well they test their products given all the problems I see on these posts.
Kind Regards,

Tony
Old 10-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

OK, here's my .02:

Quote:
C1. Got one of the original units the day before I went on vacation. By the time I got back the forums were full of complaints about overheating. Before I ever turned it on I installed a fan on the top of the unit.

Quote:
Using one HD-PVR and one Intensity Pro to capture HD material.

Quote:
Never had a lock up on the HD-PVR itself. While running tests with drivers and settings, SageTV has locked up.

Quote:
Using el cheapo USB to serial converters to a DirecTV H23.
Quote:
Never, ever had any issues. Channel changing is (relatively) fast.

Quote:
Latest full release driver, v1.1.

Quote:
See below.

Quote:
After much, much trial and error it is working well on my two HD Extenders. It is capturing at a fixed 720p with PCM (not 5.1) audio. I get consistent, solid recording and playback with these settings.
I'm bummed that 5.1 audio is not working reliably for me yet. When I attempt to use 5.1, channel changing is slower (the image jerks around for several seconds) and sometimes the audio does not work at all.

When I had it set for native resolution and captured at 480, 720 and 1080, it would take up to 10 seconds to lock on, and sometimes would never sync.

AFAIK Placeshifter still can't deal with the HD PVR h264 output.

Quote:
I like it, but I consider the SageTV/HD PVR still a beta solution. If I wasn't such a geek when it comes to technology I would have returned it long ago.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Sage Expert

Version C2
    Using 1 HD PVR
    Have had a few lock up, modded the unit to put the fan up top, directly over the Amberella chip/heatsink. Got a few more lockups when using the beta 5.1 drivers. Relocated to outside of my home entertainment enclosure and it has been solid since installing the release 1.1 drivers.
    Firewire
    If you asked yesterday i would have said "perfect" but last night I had a missed recording due to a failed channel change. So I have to say "near perfect".
    Recording light down't work. I previously removed the "bling" lights.
    ArcSoft decoder sucks. But it is working well given the limitations of the video codec.
    Machine specs:
    Athlon X2 BE-2400 (equivalent to 4400+)
    1GB DDR2 ram
    370 GB
    Soundblaster Audigy SE+ 5.1
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT
    DXVA
    Windows Media Center Edition 2005
    MCE IR Receiver
    MCE Remote
    HD Homerun QAM
    A pain but like it. I am trying the new beta demux tonight, which will let me use the CyberLink H.264 decoder. At that point, I can upgrade to "love it" assuming the demux is stable. Previous builds have been a bit buggy.
I switched from MCE 2005 to sage because of the HD PVR. I watched the WAF plummet to deep sea levels and stuck through it. My daughter gets to enjoy HD Disney. I have to watch sports through the STB and not the HTPC because of the stutters. But I am sticking through it because I know it can be great and the potential is there. The HD PVR is almost the holy grail of HD recording. Hope my wordiness helps!
Old 10-23-2008, 01:21 PM
SageTVaholic

I have a C1. From the first original batch that shipped. Never overheated. Never put a fan on it. The blue LED bling around the top never worked but who cares.
Only have 1 connected to a Windows Home Server
No. Maybe one or two when I first installed it.
I went with a USB-UIRT because I had it, I knew it worked and wasn't too happy with some of the problems people reported having with the HD-PVR IR.
Excellent. I had maybe 4 or 5 missed channel changes since I got it. Couple were from power outages. Don't really watch LiveTV with it so I can't comment too much on how it takes to change. When I have changed the channel it was maybe 5-7 seconds.
The beta release just before ver 1.1. Haven't had time to change them.
None. I now get DD 5.1 in the recordings.
Extender-excellent playback. PC Client 1-Good. Sometime a slight stutter. AMD 64x2 5400 with onboard 7050 nVidia. PC Client 2-unwatchable P4 2.6Ghz with 6200 nVidia. PC client 3-unwatchable Lenovo R51 laptop PC Client 4 & 5-unwatchable MVP (waiting to replace with HD100.
9' Tell me your overall, bottom-line impression of your HD-PVR. Hate it, A pain but worth it, like it, love it etc.
Love it. No real issues installing, upgrading drivers. Picture is great on my 42" Panny plasma. It has been dependable and I really don't have another solution for all the other HD stations from my cable box. I also own a HDHR which is good for about 10 clear QAM stations (locals). The only pain is missing the commercial skip. I've beta tested both solutions and it takes a heck of a processor and/or a long time. I know it's a matter of time before one or both solutions are production ready. But it's not that bad to just use the FF or chapter skip buttons. That's what they're there for. I set the skip for 2.5 min and the ff for 30 secs and 2 or 3 pushes usually does the trick.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 10-23-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Sage Icon

I sure hope this will qualify as feedback. Here goes:

IMO HiDef is really in it's infancy as far as PCs are concerned. I have my doubts about using USB as an interface with more that 1 of these units. To insure reliability with 2 units, I removed every other USB device in my system. My SageTV server now has no IR receiver or IR emitters. I hook up my wireless keyboard/mouse thru USB only when I have to and NOT while I am recording. Hauppauge should develop a model that is on a PCIe card (as they do now with their OTA HiDef tuners) with YPbPr inputs, SPDIF input and MAYBE a blaster port. USB 1.0 is circa 1995. USB 2.0 is circa 2000. By today's standards, obsolete.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 10-23-2008, 01:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Great input from all of you! I'll be including some of this in the review and will link to this thread as well. I just don't think any review has done this product justice so far given the complexity of the product and its "still working out the kinks" status. Still, I think it's a very important product for the diy HTPC'er. I love mine even with a few warts...

Keep the comments coming - I think it will be very helpful to others on the fence about the HD-PVR and even SageTV for some.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

1. Which version do you have? (C1, C2 etc): C1
2. How many HD-PVRs are you using? (1, 2 more): 1
3. With your current one (if you had to return one, focus on the latest one you have now) do you have lockups?: Never 1 lockup
4. How do you handle channel changes with the HD-PVR? packaged Hauppauge IR blaster, USBUIRT, Firewire, other?: IR Blaster
5. With your channel change setup how is it working for you?: I don't channel surf. When I do, I always use the guide to find something interesting.
6. What driver version are you using?: 1.03*****beta
7. Any other problems you are experiencing now with the HD-PVR?: 0
8. How well is it working on your clientPC, Extender etc? Mention the specs of the playback machine if relevant.: I only use the HD extenders for playback and playback is so smoooth.
9. Tell me your overall, bottom-line impression of your HD-PVR. Hate it, A pain but worth it, like it, love it etc.: I really like it, never a day of trouble and the IR blaster controls my Cable box flawlessly (if it doesn't fall off).

Last edited by simonen; 10-23-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Sage Expert

1. Which version do you have? (C1, C2 etc): D2 (previously RMAed C1 and C2)
2. How many HD-PVRs are you using? (1, 2 more): 1
3. With your current one (if you had to return one, focus on the latest one you have now) do you have lockups?: Only had for a few days; no lock-ups noted during scheduled recordings, but Sage regularly loses signal when I change channels (maybe one out of twenty times) and I have to power-cycle the HD-PVR (to get video back) and reboot my server (to get channel changing to work again)
4. How do you handle channel changes with the HD-PVR? packaged Hauppauge IR blaster, USBUIRT, Firewire, other?: IR Blaster
5. With your channel change setup how is it working for you?: Crummy. See above re: lockups. Slow. Also frequently after selecting channel I have to hit stop and reselect the channel to get the video/sound to lock in properly.
6. What driver version are you using?: 1.1
7. Any other problems you are experiencing now with the HD-PVR?: Just the ones already mentioned
8. How well is it working on your clientPC, Extender etc? HD100 is only client I use regularly; aside from above issues the picture is noticeably softer than from my Comcast box (but still very good); video plays smoothly for the most part but not perfect via the "scrolling text" test. I can't get smooth video on either my Vista or XP machines (Vista has Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz processor, XP 3.0ghz P4 with ATI vid acceleration)
9. Tell me your overall, bottom-line impression of your HD-PVR. Hate it, A pain but worth it, like it, love it etc.: Wish I'd never seen or heard of it, given the huge amount of time I've spent trying to get it to work. It is very close to a good solution now, but still buggy and prone to one failure or another, even with the extenders which are supposed to "just work."
Old 10-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Sage Icon

1.Which version do you have? (C1, C2 etc) = C2

2. How many HD-PVRs are you using? (1, 2 more) = 1

3. With your current one (if you had to return one, focus on the latest one you have now) do you have lockups? = No. I've never had one that I am aware of.

4. How do you handle channel changes with the HD-PVR? packaged Hauppauge IR blaster, USBUIRT, Firewire, other? = Built in Hauppauge IR blaster

5. With your channel change setup how is it working for you? = It was awkward to set up, but it works now (under original drivers)

6. What driver version are you using? = Original shipped drivers (see below for reason)

7. Any other problems you are experiencing now with the HD-PVR? = I tried to upgrade to the new beta drivers (before the final release) and it seemed to break the Hauppauge IR blaster. I know several people reported this same problem, but some have actually gotten it to work. Appearently there is a very specific sequence of events that can get it to work, but it seems to be a lot of trouble for something that should work out of the box.

8. How well is it working on your clientPC, Extender etc? Mention the specs of the playback machine if relevant. = Using extender. Works fine. I occationally get a screen that is all green after changing channels, but a quick FFD or Rewind corrects the problem. It is a playback issue, not a recording issue.

9. Tell me your overall, bottom-line impression of your HD-PVR. Hate it, A pain but worth it, like it, love it etc. = It was a real pain to set up the Hauppauge IR blaster originally, but that was due to a lack of directions so I ended up doing a lot of trial and error to get it to work. Trying the new beta drivers seemed like it was going to cause a similar issue and I didn't care to spend another several days doing trial and error work. So I downgraded back to the original drives and the IR blaster works again. For the money, I don't think you can beat the HD-PVR, but if money was no object, I personally would have switched to a R-5000 for my DishTV recording needs. The HD-PVR just seems like it isn't 100% there yet.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 10-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD-PVR Feedback

1. Which version do you have? (C1, C2 etc) C2
2. How many HD-PVRs are you using? (1, 2 more) 1
3. With your current one (if you had to return one, focus on the latest one you have now) do you have lockups? No lockups thus far. Been running for several days (server restarted for non-HDPVR reasons).
4. How do you handle channel changes with the HD-PVR? packaged Hauppauge IR blaster, USBUIRT, Firewire, other? Fireware to Moto DCH3200
5. With your channel change setup how is it working for you? Works fantastic. Won't ever go back to IR.
6. What driver version are you using? v1.0.3.053 Beta
7. Any other problems you are experiencing now with the HD-PVR? None
8. How well is it working on your clientPC, Extender etc? Mention the specs of the playback machine if relevant. Use HD-100 extenders exclusively. I just love those things!
9. Tell me your overall, bottom-line impression of your HD-PVR. Hate it, A pain but worth it, like it, love it etc. Love it! As an early adopter I expected hiccups, but now it's very reliable.
Capture: 1 x HDHR (Both tuning QAM); 1 x HD-PVR C2 (Component to Moto DCH-3200 - Channel change via Firewire);
Extenders: 2 x STX-HD100; 1 x HD-300 (Panny G20 50" Plasma, Sony 32" LCD, Sammy 26 " LCD)
Old 10-24-2008, 07:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

Which version do you have? (C1, C2 etc)
C2

How many HD-PVRs are you using? (1, 2 more)

With your current one (if you had to return one, focus on the latest one you have now) do you have lockups?
No lockups

How do you handle channel changes with the HD-PVR? packaged Hauppauge IR blaster, USBUIRT, Firewire, other?
Firewire

With your channel change setup how is it working for you?
Great

What driver version are you using?
v1.1

Any other problems you are experiencing now with the HD-PVR?
I and multiple other people have noted that 5.1 DD does not work with Verizon FIOS TV. There is very noticeable and irritating distortion/echo that results when a high definition audio connection is made from a Verizon(Motorola) STB and the HD PVR. Hauppauge is aware of and acknowledges the problem but, to date, has been unable to come up with a solution.

How well is it working on your clientPC, Extender etc? Mention the specs of the playback machine if relevant.
Works great on my clientPC but I would expect that given the nature of the client (Vista 64, 8 BG ram, quad core processor). Don't have an extender.

Tell me your overall, bottom-line impression of your HD-PVR. Hate it, A pain but worth it, like it, love it etc.
I like the HD PVR because it is currently the only solution to the problem of encrypted HD TV. However, the file format and remaining HD audio problems with the Verizon FIOS service means that there is still much that needs to be done before this system is perfected.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Sage User

C1

With your current one (if you had to return one, focus on the latest one you have now) do you have lockups?
No - but Sage runs REALLY slow when trying to use Dolby Digital / AC3...see below

How do you handle channel changes with the HD-PVR? packaged Hauppauge IR blaster, USBUIRT, Firewire, other?
Other - serial control DirecTV HD set top box with Patersontech USB controller

Channels change fine, but no video or audio in Sage and only video in Total Media Extreme when using Dolby Digital 5.1 output

Tried v1.1 but had to revert back to 1.0b

1.1 doesn't work at all with Sage...I get the spinning circle for about 5 minutes after hitting stop. In TME, I get video but no audio, no matter if I set the output of the settop box to PCM or Dolby Digital. I've rebooted, reinstalled, and now have reverted back to the original drivers. I have yet to try hcwclear, may try that this evening after doing a backup of my server.

How well is it working on your clientPC, Extender etc? Mention the specs of the playback machine if relevant.
Works perfectly on my two clients and one extender...prior to trying driver version 1.1, that is. I only have stereo audio but both audio and video playback work great with CoreCodec on both clients.

Tell me your overall, bottom-line impression of your HD-PVR. Hate it, A pain but worth it, like it, love it etc.
Works great with stereo audio and the original 1.0b drivers. I continue to be disappointed that we don't have a solution for AC3 / 5.1 yet.

I also continue to be immensely frustrated when I see posts of "5.1 works perfect for me" after spending so much time screwing around with this!!!

dave
Old 10-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

HD-PVR review

2 @ C2
I originally had a C1 unit, but like most, that had to go back and get swapped out for a C2 unit.

I am using 2 units for capturing content from AT&T Uverse.

It seems there are still be a few infrequent lock-ups. I have had to power cycle the units one or twice over the past 2-3 months.

I am currently using a USBUIRT for channels changes to Uverse Motorola VIP1200 STBs.

I am getting very fast and very reliable channel changes. Previously I was using firewire channel changing for Time Warner Cable Scientific Atlanta STBs, my current setup is much faster.

There is one issue with the AT&T Uverse Motorola VIP1200 STBs in that they have an automated sleep function that puts the units into sleep mode after a period of time with no activity. I have published a small utility software to get around this issue by sending a scheduled IR signal out to the unit to make sure it is stays awake. More info can be found here.

I am currently using the 1.0.3.47 (REV 1.0 B) driver. I am only using it in stereo mode, so I have not upgraded to the latest driver yet.

See below.

It works extremely well on my systems, both on the SageTV Client on my server (server specs in signature) and from 2 Sage HD Extenders. I do have one random playback problem mentioned here, but I'm not yet sure if it is a problem with the HD-PVR or the STX-HD100 extender.

Love it ... Love it .... Love it.

OK, like most early adopters during the initial release of this product it was a pain to get up and running and I did have to send my first unit back it for a replacement. That part sucked, but what do you expect for a brand new product introduction. Being on the cutting edge can "cut". It really was not a big deal for me because I went into it with my expectations gauged.

Now, several month later, the HD-PVR seems to be running like a champ and it allows me to record HD quality content outside of the OTA realm..... what other product on the market can deliver that? ( .... sound of crickets chirping .... ) an R5000 I guess, but that is a proprietary solution.

One last comment ... the ArcSoft software that comes with the unit sucks. Of course all media recording software packaged with TV cards / Encoder devices generally suck, so really no surprises there.
Capture Devices: 2 @ Hauppauge HD-PVR (1212), Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 ATSC/QAM, HD Homerun
Media Extenders: 2 @ Sage HD100 & 1 @ Sage HD200
Signals/Providers: AT&T UVerse, OTA ATSC
Set-Top-Box: 2 @ Motorola Box VIP 1200
Old 10-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Sage User

Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 mixed review

My Original Comcast Configuration (ran for 3 months):
SageTV + hd100s
2x Comcast/Motorola DCT6200 STB with fire-wire channel change
2x Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 Rev C2, Driver v1.0b stereo audio capture

The Hauppauge captures 1080 perfectly, but 480 and 720 are much too light and have nasty borders around the images. I configured the STB to send 1080 all the time which gave me consistently good video quality. The Hauppauge IR blaster appears to be an afterthought and did not support 2 instances and was not reliable even with one instance while fire-wire was fast and worked every time so I used fire-wire to change channels. Occasionally I saw captures where the video looked like it was only about 8 fps, but the audio was clear and this required a Hauppauge reboot to clear it up. I did not experience any lockups. Overall I found this configuration to be reliable and I would recommend it.

My Current AT&T U-verse Configuration (one week and still trying)
SageTV + hd100s
2x Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) STB with usbuirt channel change
2x Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 Rev C2, Driver v1.1 stereo audio

Video quality is outstanding on u-verse so the capture quality is great. I tried the spidf audio capture, but while it worked I found it to make a terrible noise at start of each capture so I will continue to use stereo until we get drivers that work better. Unfortunately the Hauppauge is not reliable with the Cisco STB. I randomly get capture driver errors which result in “Capture Error in Playback -4, 0x800700f1”, and “no signal” errors on SageTV and error pop-ups on every tv set in the house. Sage pops the errors over the screen savers and provides no information about which tuner had the problem, but that’s another thing. The Hauppauge locks up and requires reboot before you can resume capture so it’s the worst kind of problem. I suspect the Cisco STB might drop signal when it takes a line hit which in turn flips out the Hauppauge, but I am still working the problem. I am currently trying to gather enough details to submit bugs to Sage and Hauppauge or stumble into a work-around. Currently I can not recommend hauppauge HD PVR with the U-verse Cisco STB.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

C2

Haven't had a lock-up since the new (non-beta) drivers.

IR Blaster, remote only works for play/stop functions.

Have to use the PC but I'm going to look into FireWire (I have a Fios box).

Ticker crawls are still a little jerky. 5.1 doesn't work with my Fios box.

N/A I want to get it right on one PC first. Besides I'd have to pull cable throughout the house before I can even think of going to a client.

This is by far the best solution I've found for watching TV on a PC. It's been time consuming but I've learned a great deal.

Clients: HD200, HD300, Win7 Desktop

Capture Devices: Hauppauge Colossus & 1 HDHR, TV Service: Verizon FIOS
Old 10-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to ghostlobster
C2

Occasionally

Hauppauge IR Blaster

It's OK fo recording. For channel surfing, it sucks.

After a reboot, I need to kill the Sage service, recycle the HD-PVR, then start the Sage service.

I only use clients. All dual core AMDs, 1GB, 1GB, 2GB RAM, 2400 Pro, 2600XT and 8500GT. The playback is fine. 2 of the clients are wireless 802.11n.

A pain, but worth it.
Client 2 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, ATI HD2400 Pro
Client 3 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, nVidia 8500 GT

Raleigh Computer Repair

Last edited by ghostlobster; 10-27-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to ghostlobster
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post

N/A I want to get it right on one PC first. Besides I'd have to pull cable throughout the house before I can even think of going to a client.
Just an FYI, I've got 2 of my clients running on 802.11n and they work just fine!
Client 2 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, ATI HD2400 Pro
Client 3 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, nVidia 8500 GT

Raleigh Computer Repair
Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlobster View Post
Just an FYI, I've got 2 of my clients running on 802.11n and they work just fine!
Until I turn on the microwave! I have enough problems on my 802.11n network with interference that I don't expect to be able to stream HD to clients without a lot of problems. In my case that would kill the HAF (husband acceptance factor).

Clients: HD200, HD300, Win7 Desktop

Capture Devices: Hauppauge Colossus & 1 HDHR, TV Service: Verizon FIOS