SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Switching channels between HD and SD with HD PVR

I've had the HD PVR up and running good for the last week, however I ran into one glitch, and wanted to see if there was a work-around.

When I Sage starts recording, the first thing it does is change the channel (which is normal). But if the previously displayed channel was HD and it switches to a SD channel, the recording gets corrupted. If the channel was SD and it switches to a HD channel, same thing. I understand why (maybe), because the resolution (480p vs 720p or 1080i).

So, my question is - Can you tell Sage to change the channel 10-20 seconds BEFORE it starts recording?? That way the channel gets locked in BEFORE any recording begins. Right now, it starts recording, THEN changes the channel. I have 2-3 minutes of buffer, so 10-20 seconds shouldn't be problem.

Thoughts?

Kevin
Old 06-13-2008, 12:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by padre View Post
... if the previously displayed channel was HD and it switches to a SD channel, the recording gets corrupted. If the channel was SD and it switches to a HD channel, same thing. ...
Can't say I had this problem when I was channel surf testing it out - currently only recording HD shows. When I channel surfed it would loose signal for a few seconds but I always got it back and the recording was fine it was just a black screen for a while before it changed to the SD or HD channel.
Quote:
So, my question is - Can you tell Sage to change the channel 10-20 seconds BEFORE it starts recording?? That way the channel gets locked in BEFORE any recording begins. Right now, it starts recording, THEN changes the channel.
Don't remember seeing an option for this but then I haven't switched HD to SD to HD recently so I'll see if I have the problem tonight if I get the oportunity.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Well, as an test, I created a timed recording (1 minute duration) that starts before the actual program I want to record. That way the channel gets changed to the appropriate channel, records for about 1 minute, then stops. When my real show comes on, Sage doesn't have to change the channel, so the resolution is the same - should be no problem.

Works as expected. The 1 minute recording is useless and unreadable (because it started at a SD channel (480p) then changed channels to a HD channel (1080i). But the scheduled recording right after that (my program) is perfect now.

So, there does appear to be an issue if you're going to be recording 480p vs 720p/1080i channels. What I don't know yet is what happens when you go from a 720p to a 1080i channel. Next experiment!
Old 06-14-2008, 01:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well, as an test, I created a timed recording (1 minute duration) that starts before the actual program I want to record. That way the channel gets changed to the appropriate channel, records for about 1 minute, then stops. When my real show comes on, Sage doesn't have to change the channel, so the resolution is the same - should be no problem.

Works as expected. The 1 minute recording is useless and unreadable (because it started at a SD channel (480p) then changed channels to a HD channel (1080i). But the scheduled recording right after that (my program) is perfect now.

So, there does appear to be an issue if you're going to be recording 480p vs 720p/1080i channels. What I don't know yet is what happens when you go from a 720p to a 1080i channel. Next experiment!
Just got the opportunity to test this and it works fine for me while viewing on my HD100 I can switch back and forth from 480p to 1080i (all my cable box will output at one time) and I have NO problems. I was channel surfing so this was live but after a 30+ second wait for everything to get back into sync it was fine. Never had a black picture although the sound did drop out for that 30+ seconds.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
Just got the opportunity to test this and it works fine for me while viewing on my HD100 I can switch back and forth from 480p to 1080i (all my cable box will output at one time) and I have NO problems. I was channel surfing so this was live but after a 30+ second wait for everything to get back into sync it was fine. Never had a black picture although the sound did drop out for that 30+ seconds.
I'm sure the playback through Sage will be okay, but its when you try to use the output to create a DVD or edit the recording with an editor, it'll have a problem.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm sure the playback through Sage will be okay, but its when you try to use the output to create a DVD or edit the recording with an editor, it'll have a problem.
I've got something set to record tonight in SD but the current channel is HD so I'll see what happens.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I've got something set to record tonight in SD but the current channel is HD so I'll see what happens.
If you author or can edit the resulting file, see if it likes the file. I can't even run it through a conversion tool (because it starts as 1 resolution, and changes to another).
Old 06-14-2008, 08:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If you author or can edit the resulting file, see if it likes the file. I can't even run it through a conversion tool (because it starts as 1 resolution, and changes to another).
I'm running the Sage Conversion Tool (SageTranscoder - FFMPEG) on it now. I'll see if it is playable. It is being converted to DVD format.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Well SageTVTranscoder was a no-go it gets to 100% and never completes. The ArcSoft program crashes but I've never used it before so not sure I trust that. Will be trying Nero8 shortly.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Well SageTVTranscoder was a no-go it gets to 100% and never completes. The ArcSoft program crashes but I've never used it before so not sure I trust that. Will be trying Nero8 shortly.
I suspect it won't work either. I don't think any authoring program is going to like a single video file changing resolutions.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I suspect it won't work either. I don't think any authoring program is going to like a single video file changing resolutions.
I used the Export Video from Nero8 and am playing the result in SageTVClient now. So at least with Nero8 it should work. I used MPEG2 DVD-standard output quality. Doesn't look real good but that could be the quick 1-pass conversion I did. And just so that you know the channel was a HD local channel off my cable box and Sage changed to a SD channel only to record from. Haven't tried going the other way (SD to HD).

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 06-14-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:26 PM
SageTVaholic

I take that back it looks like my cable box is screwing up. It only has two modes 1) 4x3 override to 480p and 2) 1080i and it isn't switching. Not sure why going to check the configuration on it again. So I cannot give you a good test since it is keeping the same AR when I switch from SD to HD on this. Sorry about that.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:41 PM
SageTVaholic

After a little more experimentation it might just be my HD100 that isn't doing the switching even though I have it set for native output mode. The thumbnail and the detailed info on the HD to SD recording shows that it is HD. I'm going to see if I can get Nero to tell me what it thinks the AR after the change to the SD channel before I say this test was a complete waist.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Well wasn't able to get Nero to tell me anything. But it sure look like there is a HD section and an SD section because nero shows it as two segments and they are at the correct locations in the stream to be an HD section and an SD section. However I have no way to prove it unless you know of a tool to report the AR at a specific location in a file? If I'm right and it really is HD to SD then nero converts it without problems. Sorry but but I don't know how to confirm my suspicions. You might try the trial of nero and see if it works for you for this.