SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Sage User

Commercial Detector/ Comskip & Playon Issue?

I tried searching the forums and couldn't find anything related, so I'd like to ask about an issue I've encountered running Commercial Detector/ Comskip while using Playon to access full TV episodes from CBS. It appears these plugins do such a great job of filtering out ads - including online content - CBS.com detects the filtering, and at the first ad-intermission, causes the brightness to dull and a message on-screen complains of a pop-up blocker preventing their ads from being displayed. Fair enough, I suppose, as I appreciate the free content offered (which comes with some expense to them), and so I accept these ads.

First, I'm wondering if others have encountered this (maybe I missed a thread), and second, I'm wondering if there is a way of configuring Commercial Detector/ Comskip to leave in-tact any ads broadcast from on-line sources, including Playon (Playon/ CBS works fine if the associated Commercial Skip plugins are disabled)? Commercial Detector/ Comskip is great otherwise (my thanks to the developers), and I believe it's a fair use of the content I pay my Cableco good money every month to receive. But if it is incompatible with Playon content, I can most definitely live without it, and stick with my remote's FF button!

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited by HTPCguy; 10-28-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 PM
SageTVaholic

CommercialDetector should not have any impact on online content viewing. It certainly should not cause the pop-up blocker warning. Can you try uninstalling CommercialDetector and seeing if the same thing happens?

Are you viewing on a SageClient, extender, or placeshifter?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Sage User

D'hoh!

Thanks for your reply - I've been testing it again since, and sure enough, the problem appears to be gone. It would seem that I mis-attributed my Playon playback issue with CBS to be a related to Comskip, as it seemed to go away as soon as I disabled the associated plugins. However, after your reply last night, I re-enabled them and am still no longer seeing the problem - something had to have been acting as a pop-up/ ad block blocker, and I now have no idea what it was. I apologize for the waste of time and will do more testing before posting next time!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Not a problem.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.