SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Guide to Setting Up Commercial Skip w/Comskip & Dirmon2

I've written up a detailed (with screen-shots) guide to setting up commercial skipping with Comskip and Dirmon2 for use in SageTV.

Hope it's helpful to some of you - if you have suggestions on improving the guide or see anything I missed let me know.

Alternatively:
For those that still want to use Comskip with ComskipMonitor here's that guide
Note that if you're using Comskip Monitor w/Windows 7, you might need to right-click the .bat file and run as administrator to get it working.

My next how-to for commercial skipping will be using Comskip with DVRMSToolbox. After that I'll probably tackle ShowAnalyzer if the wife doesn't kick me out for messin' with a working HTPC system

Last edited by Brent; 11-23-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

What are the benefits of Dirmon2 vs Comskip monitor?
Old 11-23-2009, 02:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
What are the benefits of Dirmon2 vs Comskip monitor?
Both are free.
  • comskip monitor is easier (more simple) to set up
  • comskip monitor does one thing - monitor comskip files - dirmon2 can monitor many different types of files and execute many different actions beyond just commercial skipping. Can run multiple instances with dirmon2
  • comskip monitor doesn't work all that well with Windows 7 - but some have it working
  • comskip hasn't been updated forever - dirmon2 author is still supporting it
Old 11-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Sage Fanatic

You should consider doing a Sage Job Queue how to as well. It really is a powerful tool. That way, you've covered all of the options for comercial skipping and more.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Both are free.
  • comskip monitor is easier (more simple) to set up
  • comskip monitor does one thing - monitor comskip files - dirmon2 can monitor many different types of files and execute many different actions beyond just commercial skipping. Can run multiple instances with dirmon2
  • comskip monitor doesn't work all that well with Windows 7 - but some have it working
  • comskip hasn't been updated forever - dirmon2 author is still supporting it
So since I already have comskip monitor working terrifically on my WHS, i don't see a compelling reason to monkey with it. Is that a fair assessment?
Old 11-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
So since I already have comskip monitor working terrifically on my WHS, i don't see a compelling reason to monkey with it. Is that a fair assessment?
Unless you need to do more such as transcoding or want better control of the files that get processed and when they get processed then no.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_h View Post
You should consider doing a Sage Job Queue how to as well. It really is a powerful tool. That way, you've covered all of the options for comercial skipping and more.
I agree. I have someone doing a guest post about Sage Job Queue. Should be coming very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan
Agreed. I wouldn't change anything unless you have a need or it isn't working properly. I switched as part of my re-install of SageTV on the HTPC Server - due to my upgrade to Windows 7 from XP. And then sometimes I just "take one for the team" so I can learn and do how-to's on GeekTonic
Old 11-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Brent, thank you, great post! I've been wanting to switch to Dirmon2 for a while now. ComskipMonitor was good, but I felt like it was getting old on the vine.

Question, do you know of any resources on how to automate other actions? For instance, I'd love to be able to do two things:
- I have it monitoring my Sage recording directory, but I'd like it skip some files. (Ex. Super Why! & Sid the Science Kid... both PBS shows and there aren't commercials in the traditional sense.)
- And I'd like to send some recordings to MediaShrink for saving. I know you can do it, but I'm just learning Dirmon2 and didn't know if in your research you came across any good examples.

Thanks again!

- Cha
Software: Sage Server 7.1.9 on Windows 7 (Virtualized in ESXi)
Clients: i3-2105, ASRock Z68 Pro3-M, 4GB DDR3 1600, 64GB SATA III (OS), 2TB WD Green (Recording), PNY GT 430 // 2 x HD-300
Old 11-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaOConnor View Post
Brent, thank you, great post! I've been wanting to switch to Dirmon2 for a while now. ComskipMonitor was good, but I felt like it was getting old on the vine.

Question, do you know of any resources on how to automate other actions? For instance, I'd love to be able to do two things:
- I have it monitoring my Sage recording directory, but I'd like it skip some files. (Ex. Super Why! & Sid the Science Kid... both PBS shows and there aren't commercials in the traditional sense.)
- And I'd like to send some recordings to MediaShrink for saving. I know you can do it, but I'm just learning Dirmon2 and didn't know if in your research you came across any good examples.

Thanks again!

- Cha
I don't think you can do the first item in Dirmon2. You should take a look at Sage Job Queue for that type of control.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

I agree Sage Job Queue is the way to go. It's a bit more complicated, but you can set it up to not scan specific channels, or particular shows. I have it set up so it won't scan anything from the premium channels, no need to run comskip on HBO for example. Especially when they are HDPVR recordings and the machine really takes a hit.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Sage Icon

Sweet post! I've been putting off trying Comskip and this write up will probably push me over the edge to try it.

Besides using the paid version of Comskip, is there any different instructions to use Comskip with HD-PVR produced files?
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 11-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
Sweet post! I've been putting off trying Comskip and this write up will probably push me over the edge to try it.

Besides using the paid version of Comskip, is there any different instructions to use Comskip with HD-PVR produced files?
As far as I can tell, it works exactly the same.
SageTV 6.6.2|SageMC 6.3.9b_24 (clients)|
3x HD-PVR (FiOS) - Firewire Tuning|1x HDHomeRun
Old 11-28-2009, 08:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by koan00 View Post
As far as I can tell, it works exactly the same.
Yep, installation is exactly the same. The paid version gives you early access to new features and lets you support the great work of the developer but installation is the same.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to ewelin Send a message via MSN to ewelin Send a message via Yahoo to ewelin
is there a good resource for setting up SJQ and comskip? Also how is the cleanup of orphaned files done with SJQ? I'm thinking about migrating to comskip from showanalyzer as SA doesn't seem to perform as well on hd-pvr recordings.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewelin View Post
is there a good resource for setting up SJQ and comskip? Also how is the cleanup of orphaned files done with SJQ? I'm thinking about migrating to comskip from showanalyzer as SA doesn't seem to perform as well on hd-pvr recordings.
SJQv3 User's Guide
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 12-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to ewelin Send a message via MSN to ewelin Send a message via Yahoo to ewelin
cool thanks, is there anything in there on how to delete orphan file that are created by comskip?
Old 12-03-2009, 06:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewelin View Post
cool thanks, is there anything in there on how to delete orphan file that are created by comskip?
Yes
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 12-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

excelent... looks like I've got my project for next week lined up now :-D
Old 12-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaOConnor View Post

Thanks again!

- Cha
In Dirmon2 add the show names to the "ignore" box just as they exist in the recording folders, you can use wild cards for the show IDs or just enter part of the name.

Client 1: HD300; Panasonic TC-P65S64;
Client 2: HD300; Samsung 46" LCD;
Client 3: HD300; 60" LCD;
Old 12-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Sage User

Brent, I have read everything you have posted and still I am not sure how to get the ComSkip feature to work in SageTVMC. 1) I ran the import ComSkip STVi feature in SageTVMC and it took it (I didn't know at that time that it was already a part of the MC version). 2) I then tried to run the batch file for the monitor program but ended up with a system error 1067, it failed (again I didn't know at the time that the ComSkip feature was part of the MC package)...I set the settings in the configuration screen and still no ComSkip.
I am confused...are you still with me?
I read your blog on GT and it seems pretty clear. At the bottom it says that MC already has the feature so I don't need to do anything, is that correct? My confusion is, do I still need to add a monitor program to make ComSkip work, even in SageTVMC? If so, I have read your latest GT post on DirMon2 and I think it has enough baby spoon steps that I can follow it but again do I need to add DirMon2 to make the ComSkip present in MC work?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Steve

Tags
commercial skip, comskip, dirmon2