SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Sage User

Comskip & DirMon2 User Name & Password Issue

I've yet to get Comskip and DirMon2 working with STV v6.6 on my Windows XP Home Edition PC.

I followed the tutorial instructions provided by GeekTonic carefully:

http://www.geektonic.com/2009/11/com...v-comskip.html

My problem has to do with starting DirMon2 after setup, and involves setting up the Service window on the Global Settings tab, using the User option with User Name and Password.

First issue: When I provide my valid Windows User Name and Password, and click on Install, the Current Status window goes from "Not Installed", to "Stopped", but stays at "Stopped" after clicking the Start button. I would have expected it to indicate "Started" or something similar if started correctly. So, at this point, I'm suspicious that something is amiss with my User Name and Password settings. Everything else is exactly as exampled in the tutorial.

Second related issue: There is more evidence of Windows User Name and Password issues. When booting up, apparently I have 2 Administrative accounts because I get a Logon error message upon restart.

Upon Windows bootup, I get an error Logon Message window: "Unable to log you on because of an account restriction." Ghosted behind and above this error message is another window called Log On to Windows. The User Name field shows "Administrator" and the Password field is populated. This is not my normal User Name, which is "Bill". When I Ok out of the error message, the Windows logon window appears with Bill User Account shown and a field for Password. When I provide the normal password, I can then log onto Windows.

From the Run command, if I type "command userpasswords2" the User Accounts window opens. The box option for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." is unselected so that I do not have to enter my user name and password each time Windows boots. This was my normal configuration prior to working with DirMon2.

I've tried subsequently checking the box, rebooting (same error message result), unchecking the box, rebooting (same result) to come full circle.

In my User Accounts window (Run: command userpasswords2) I have three user accounts: 1) Administrator; Administrator's Group, 2) ASPNET; Users Group, and 3) Bill; Administrator's Group, which is the account Windows normally logs me on with when auto-logon works properly.

So, it appears that with two users accounts with Administrators priviledges, DirMon2 is not functioning properly, and my Windows XP Home no longer auto logs onto Bill or Administrator. It seems that both issues are related.

In summary, I don't think the DirMon2 task starts properly because of a Windows account User Name & Password issue.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thx, Bill
Old 02-16-2010, 06:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Go into Administrative Tools-Computer Management-Local Users and Groups. Right click on the Administrator user ID and reset the password. Now go to services and find Dirmon2 and double-click it. Go to the Log On tab and set the user to .\Administrator and the password to what you just reset. Click the apply button and then click the Start button on the General tab.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Sage User

Thanks Gerry. Unfortunately, with Windows XP Home Ed, there is no access to Local Users and Groups through the process you describe. I've confirmed this using my nearby XP Professional PC.

Here is what I was able to do.

Using Run -> control userpasswords2, I brought up a window called User Accounts, containing two tabs: Users and Advanced.

On the Advanced tab is a section called Advanced user management. From there I click the Advanced button (only option) and bring up another window called Local Users and Groups.

When Local Users and Groups (Local) is selected on the left side of this window (only thing to select), what displays on the right side is: Local Users and Groups - This computer is running Windows XP Home Edition. This snapin may not be used with that version of Windows. To manang user accounts for this computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel.

Any ideas?
Old 02-18-2010, 03:58 AM
Sage User

When DirMon2 is installed and started properly with a valid Windows User Name and Password, does the Current Status window indicate "Started"?

What if I don't use the LocalSystem radio button instead of the User option? What will be different?

I have to believe that there are Win XP Home Edition users out there who have been successful installing and using DirMon2 with ComSkip.

Are there other suggestions out there how to proceed?

Thx,
Bill
Old 02-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Sage User

Meant to say in previous post:

What if I *do* use the LocalSystem radio button instead of the User option? What will be different? How will it perform?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:17 AM
SageTVaholic

It can only access files on the local machine. It won't have access to other files on the network.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Sage User

Ok, thanks. I'll give Local System config a try. This might work ok for me since all of my Sage media is on external USB and eSATA drives.

... though it still bugs me that Home Edition won't allow User + Password login options.